Author Topic: Episode 685: The Great Yoshi Robbery  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Episode 685: The Great Yoshi Robbery
« on: August 09, 2020, 05:56:51 PM »

Get off my source control.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/54569/episode-685-the-great-yoshi-robbery

This week we start off with a little news: Pikmin 3 is coming to Switch! The list of Wii U refugees grows ever-shorter, and now we wait for Pikmin 4. After covering this news, we delve into an all-email catch-up show.

We don't succeed, but we try. This week we breakdown the morality of the theft and distribution of Nintendo's internal documents and take on two distinct questions that ask, "Where's all the games?" You can ask us your moral quandaries by sending us an email.

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Gonjiness

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 685: The Great Yoshi Robbery
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 05:34:39 AM »
Just a heads up that the RSS server is down.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 10:56:19 AM »
Yeah we're trying to get it working.

It's some goofy stuff.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Michie_

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 03:54:22 PM »
I feel mixed about the Yoshi robbery.

On one hand I feel bad for Nintendo and get where James is coming from. On the other hand you have Andre from gamexplain for example who said in the GX podcast he isn't losing any sleep over how the leaks got leaked.

I personally emulated so many games throughout the years, hacked my Wii, Snes Mini and have recently installed a GameCube emulator.

For some reason I don't think Nintendo is okay with me playing roms and isos. In their eyes I'm stealing games even though most of those games will never get a re-release.

It's all a really gray area

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 01:53:20 PM »
I can't get there. I respect that this is his opinion but I think I'm unable to divorce the action from the result.

And the action here was no-good.

But Greg's reference to the Sony leaks is fair, I've read and joked about the infamous Spider-Man emails. They're hilariously out of touch. But yeah, they were big stolen by the government of a hermit kingdom that regularly engages in the torture, starvation, and killing of its own citizens, outrageous acts of war, and nuclear provocation. And it was done in a way to "pressure" foreign companies against criticism of their monstrous regime.

In the Sony case there is a silver lining in that the end result was the bridge that let Disney and Sony talk. And they both made billions of dollars.

And a good movie or two, which historically Sony Pictures is utterly incapable of doing.

But Greg was right, it was still all bad.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 07:32:32 PM »
I really enjoyed that discussion.  I've had mixed feelings about it and even reduced my consumption of content stemming from it.  I remember a certain other breach pertaining to iOS users and their personal files that got leaked where a lot people were looking because it was there anyway instead respecting the privacy of certain people.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 11:30:35 PM »
I followed that incident not to see boobs and butts, but because I was really curious about the "chain" of celebrities to see if there was any sort of trend.

I suspect I understand a bit about it. PR sucks.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 03:42:09 PM »
It was an interesting time, and I also kept an eye on it for that reason as well.  I think people got caught up so much in the celebrity part that people forgot it was a massive breach affecting many, many users.  I think I was actually a victim there because I started seeing charges to my starbucks card from Dallas (I was in DC at the time) while it was going on, and the best I could figure was that I had an image of my starbucks card saved in my photos.  Not sure why it was there or why I was syncing everything with the cloud.

Even with the Sony leaks, there were some very concerning comments coming out being made by Sony execs, which probably deserved to be exposed, that kind of got ignored or forgotten because of how ridiculous the Spider-Man emails were.  So, I still have some mixed feelings about that.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.