Author Topic: The DS 2005 Release List  (Read 20167 times)

Offline darknight06

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:The DS 2005 Release List
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2005, 08:04:23 PM »
Let me put it this way.  Iridion 3D sucked. Iridion 2 on the other hand was actually a good game and a major improvement over the original.  Better gameplay all around as well as a perspective view that actually worked while still looking really good.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: The DS 2005 Release List
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2005, 02:32:48 AM »
Silks: So this time there actually is more than one useful gun?

darknight: Yes but it wasn't enough of an improvement to lift it above mediocrity.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2005, 06:12:36 AM »
I'll have to give Iridion 2 a shot if I see it in a discount bin again. I hated Iridion 3D enough that it kind of scared me off.

Who in the world could release that game without noticing "hey, your own ship is blocking your view of the enemy 90% of the time".

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2005, 02:43:04 PM »

Originally posted by: Silks
Nanostray is great.  It plays and sounds just as good as you think it does.  As far as storage space goes, it all depends on what you're trying to do.  Obviously full-motion video isn't the DS' forte, but it's really good for smaller developers that don't want to make games with really high production costs.

That extra storage space almost becomes a barrier to entry - once it's there, the really big and well-funded development teams make use of it, which forces everybody else to follow suit.  In other words, your game loses marks if it doesn't have tons of rendered cutscenes and digitized audio.

This makes me curious...have most developers been using the 32 or 64 MB game cards?
I don't think anyone has utilized the 128 MB card yet...

That card would certainly open up the DS to high quality soundtracks.

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2005, 02:44:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Silks
See, I didn't play Iridion II.  I always thought it looked real nice though.  Nanostray didn't have the super-fast gameplay of, say, Ikaruga...it was more about control and the strategy of switching between several different weapons.  If it would have been as frenzied as some of Treasure's shooters it wouldn't have been fun because you'd get killed while you were figuring out which gun to use.

Ahh, Radiant Silvergun, and your many, many weapons and weapon combos...how I think of thee...

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2005, 05:46:44 AM »
I'm willling to bet most have been using the 32MB ones.  Asphalt was 32, so was Wario Ware Touched and Ridge Racer DS.  

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2005, 05:53:20 AM »
Considering the original Mario 64 was, IIRC, 8 MB... I can't imagine it using much more than 32 either. Those minigames and a few extra playables can't take up THAT much space... especially with the more efficient ARM code.  

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2005, 07:44:07 AM »
SM64DS was 16MB.  So was the Metroid Prime Hunters demo.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2005, 05:26:43 PM »
Yep, there's definitely more than one useful gun.  I found myself switching quite frequently depending on the enemies or boss I was up against.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2005, 11:28:20 AM »
Old thread, I know but this is a followup to the debate from earlier about storage space.  Need For Speed Underground 2 is supposedly 10MB total.  If that's completely true, then it sounds like it wasn't a matter of space as much as it was somebody just wasting the amount of storage they had, especially considering that apparently the card used was 32MB.  In other findings, right now 64MB cards are being used and so far three games use them, Kirby's Canvas Curse, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, and Meteos with more probably on the way.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2005, 07:33:36 AM »
I want Nintendogs so bad but I'm just not sure if I'm confident enough with my masculinity to play it in public.

The only solution I have to our problem is invite every grandma, grandpa, aunt, uncle, estranged second cousin, and their dog you have to wherever you live around November.  That should clear a few things up.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2005, 08:56:37 AM »

Originally posted by: darknight06
Old thread, I know but this is a followup to the debate from earlier about storage space.  Need For Speed Underground 2 is supposedly 10MB total.  If that's completely true, then it sounds like it wasn't a matter of space as much as it was somebody just wasting the amount of storage they had, especially considering that apparently the card used was 32MB.  In other findings, right now 64MB cards are being used and so far three games use them, Kirby's Canvas Curse, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, and Meteos with more probably on the way.

I have a question, is 64MB the max ammount of data that a DS card can hold?
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2005, 09:47:10 AM »
No, they have a new manufacturing process in the works that will allow 128MB minimum.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2005, 12:25:31 PM »
IU mnentioned this about 10-15 post ago but there wa an article that said they could co upto 1GByte and still keep the cost reasonable.  I'll go look for an exact link/source

p.s. who mkes NDS's media cards again?

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2005, 08:50:55 PM »
10 MB?

Hard to beleive...the smallest DS cards are 32 MB...and it doesnt make sense for a publisher to pay the money for those cards and not use more than 10.

I would hope the music alone would provide for this...

DS cards are currently offered to publishers in capacities as large as 128 MB. In the future, as it becomes more cost-effective, larger cards are possible. I don't see why in a year or two 256 MB cards wouldn't be feasible...course, a game like that would basically be packing larger music and movies files...i.e. a Square-Enix game.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2005, 09:38:06 PM »
"the smallest DS cards are 32 MB"

No, I thought they wer 8 or 16 MB. I know 16 for sure, but I believe there are also 8 ones.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline MrMojoRising

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2005, 10:51:56 PM »

Originally posted by: Blackknight131

I would hope the music alone would provide for this...

From what I hear the music in NFSU 2 DS (that's a mouthful) is pretty terrible, so it probably is really bad quality/really small files or whatnot.

How much could the biggest 64 cart hold?

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2005, 11:59:11 PM »
64MB
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2005, 10:39:25 AM »
Coincidence?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2005, 12:06:06 PM »
Are DS titles still being released on Macronix MASK ROM? The DS was rumored to use Matrix Semiconductor's new memory, but the first games shipped didn't use them. Anyone pop open a card lately?
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat