Author Topic: New DS news 9/13/04  (Read 12827 times)

Offline joeamis

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
New DS news 9/13/04
« on: September 14, 2004, 05:38:09 PM »
Hot off the presses today!  Or more aptly put, the new issue of GI that came in the mail today, I subscribe to (not yet out to stores).  

Good News:
"some rumors say that it will even appear before Thanksgiving."

Not much to comment here, that's excellent if it turns true, getting the system out before Turkey Day could make a big impact on the DS' holiday/launch sales.

Bad News:
Reggie Fils-Aime quote, "The DS will also be equipped to allow long distance connections via wireless internet browser... but as we know, we're still some time away from actually having wireless head-to-head play in any contemporary game sense."

I don't know if that 2nd comment was already posted online somewhere, but anyways I included it incase it has not been.  Anyways, although it is bad news that there will be no wireless online play for some time, if at all.  I didn't expect it for launch titles or even titles to release through Q1/2/3 of next year (not financial quarters, seasons).  However, I hope it is included eventually, I would say they should atleast make some dip into it by Nov 2005, it could be a great testing ground to determine an online strategy for the Revolution, and alot easier given the DS' built in technology.  If they don't release any title that can go online in some form (something small as downloadables); (before the Revolution comes out) then I think they kinda didn't take an opportunity to test the market directly (rather than watching other statistics/companies).  Basically I think it would be easy testing ground and if it wasn't very successful it wouldn't hurt them much (E-Reader comes to mind).

-Sorry I couldn't resist editing the title.  Magazines almost never have new quotes, and this is no exception. -Bloodworth

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
RE: New DS news 9/13/04
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 06:00:22 PM »
no wi-fi online play? what the heck... what about animal crossing ds, and all the other things nintendo has been stating
Banned

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
RE: Old DS news 9/13/04
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 06:13:42 PM »
so i was talking to a guy at EB about the DS release; EB Games says $200 on nov. 31st, and of course this guy was confident in what his computer told him.
(though i never believe those bastards)

now...

i mentioned how it would be crucial for nintendo to come out before thanksgiving, and this guy tried to tell me that to release before thanksgiving would be stupid, that too much would be going on etc. I told him that the biggest shopping day of the year is the day after thanksgiving, and that would be an ideal time to be on the market; he didn't listen etc.

on top of all that madness my friend (who doesn't really know what he's talking about, he just likes to try and prove me wrong) jumps on the EB clerk's side of the arguement

now, what i'm asking all of you is, have i gone mad?
or are those two just fing morons?
I'll shut up now...

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
RE:Old DS news 9/13/04
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 07:37:22 PM »

dont get your panties in a bunch!!!

we'll see. I highly doubt there will be no major growth of long distance wi-fi play in ds' lifetime.

oh and yes, valid arguments indeed
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 01:50:32 AM »

I don't know if that 2nd comment was already posted online somewhere, but anyways I included it incase it has not been.

Yeah, we knew about it. It was part of a big speech Reggie made more than a month ago.

Talkback Thread.

That line looks pretty bad when taken out of context. Heck, a lot of people reading/hearing the entire speech and getting it in context were confused by it. It's gonna be hitting a lot of magazines right about now, and a lot of people are going to think "online on the DS" is doomed.

But, I for one am fairly confident that when you take a closer look at what was said, it turns out that Reggie didn't say what people think he said.

I believe he's talking about Nintendo's ideal of "no-line", meaning a planet-wide wireless multiplayer network, without any requirement for bouncing a signal off a wireless internet connection.

Also, he's speaking about "now", as in... sometime last month. With the DS being part of "the future", and a "first step" towards creating something new.

Also, he brought up the subject of "massively multiplayer" games, presumably with presistant worlds, and all that jazz, while the DS supposedly only allows for peer-to-peer 16-player multiplayer games.

Anyways, the full speech is linked above. You can decide for yourself what it was he really said.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 04:38:07 AM »
There have been plenty of rumors going around about date of the DS launch.

I remember even hearing one stating it would be out around Nov. 3.  That is laughable.  So is I think the Nov. 30th.  

If you really want to know around the time the new system will launch lets do some research.  One thing I have noticed about Nintendo is they are very repetitive.  They launch their holiday games always around the same date for years.  Lets do some research and see when Nintendo has released its new systems.  We can start by looking at the GBA, N64, Gamecube, GBASP.  I bet we can find a pattern and predict the launch within a week.

My personal bet it that the system will be released before thanksgiving.  My prediction would be around Nov. 18.  Why?  Because it screws me over because my birthday is on the 17th, and in Texas if the ship date is the 18th we don't get the game until the 20th or so.  

Its an evil Joke Nintendo does to me, because they realize I am 100% loyal to them and they love to taunt me.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 05:22:50 AM »
N64 - September 30, 1996
GBA - June 11, 2001
Gamecube - November 18, 2001
GBASP - March 23, 2003

If there's a pattern I'm sure not seeing it... ^_^
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 05:23:07 AM »
Nintendo released the GBA and the GBA SP in, like, summer or spring, did it not?  I don't think those two really tell us much about the DS date, but Nintendo did release SNES, N64 and GameCube between September-November BEFORE Thanksgiving.  So there is something to go on there.  I don't think Nov.30 is out of the question, but I think between the 14th and 25th is much more likely.

Just wait a couple of weeks, and Nintendo will spill all the beans.  I think it's just waiting for any PSP announcements to happen at TGS.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2004, 08:02:16 AM »
Blast that idea sorry guys.  It was worth a try.

I mean look at when they release games.  

For the past years its big Christmas release has always been Nov. 18th.  They always have one game released in October.

I guess Nintendo doesn't do a pattern similar with consoles.

Though the November date is interesting.  Hmmm...how about just focusing on November for a bit.  

What dates has Nintendo regularly used for releases in November?  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2004, 10:10:19 AM »
Wave Race 64 - November 5, 1996
Killer Instinct Gold - November 25, 1996
Diddy Kong Racing - November 24, 1997
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - November 23, 1998
NBA Courtside 2: Featuring Kobe Bryant - November 8, 1999
Donkey Kong 64 - November 22, 1999
Hey You, Pikachu! - November 6, 2000
Mickey's Speedway - November 13, 2000
Banjo-Tooie - November 20, 2000
Golden Sun - November 12, 2001
Luigi's Mansion - November 18, 2001
Wave Race: Blue Storm - November 18, 2001
Wario Land 4 - November 19, 2001
Metroid Fusion - November 19, 2002
Metroid Prime - November 19, 2002
Fire Emblem GBA - November 3, 2003
Mario Party 5 - November 7, 2003
Mario & Luigi - November 17, 2003
Mario Kart Double Dash!! - November 18, 2003
Mario Tennis GC - November 8, 2004
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest - November 15, 2004
Metroid Prime 2 - November 15, 2004

And Minish Cap was going to be released this November as well(the 16th), but was pushed back to January here due to the DS...

15-19 are the most popular dates, which obviously makes sense...  

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2004, 11:36:52 AM »
Bill you are amazing with the homework.  Being at work has made it hard to do anything but check in here randomly.

I will place my bets that the system will be launched within that Nov. 15-19 timespan.

I may have little to no sold proof, but if I was a gambling man it makes the most sense.

Now I wonder which game will be launched first the new "2D" Super Mario Bros game, or the Super Mario 64*4 game?  I don't think both will be launch games because it would be confusing.

My bet is the Mario 64.  It would be very easy to use the same worlds, or similar worlds to the 64 game and launch that with multiplayer.

Though I heard from Gamespot (I think) that the single player experience for this game was actually going to allow you to use any character and switch between the 4 to solve puzzles and such within the game.  That could be very very cool.  I don't know if I like it more than just getting a pure portable Mario 64, but it does sound intriguing.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2004, 11:47:54 AM »
I do all I can to procrastinate...

And I'm betting on Mario 64x4 as well...Not only does it give the DS a jumpstart with an revitilized classic, it also gives more time to Ninty to make the new Mario something to write home about(Notice that the second screen was concealed in released screens of the game)...  

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2004, 12:48:01 PM »
So Bill what are your thoughts of launch titles for the system?

I think that the most obvious launch games would be:

New Mario (Super Mario 64*4 most likely)
Metroid: Hunters (Depends on if they are going to bring a single player game experience or just release it as a portable Metroid Prime 2 multiplayer game.)  I can see this launching alongside Prime 2 though easily, perhaps with some sort of connectivity?
Wario Ware  Easy game to program and design.  Most of the code probably just needs to be refined for the DS.  Provides several different kinds of gameplay into one.

Games that will most likely not be out for launch:

Animal Crossing DS:  too much translating to prepare it for both markets for launch.
Super Mario DS:  No two Mario games going to be out at the same time.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2004, 12:58:39 PM »
Animal Crossing could be easily be a launch title if the translation was started early on...At E3, AC DS was shown in English form...

But other than that the 3 possibilities you listed are the most likely...But there may even be a surprise or two...

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2004, 01:01:34 PM »
I would take metroid off your list and give it a mid december release.  I'm banking on mario 64 and wario ware as the only first party titles...  But i bet we'll see a sega game and an ea game or two at launch as well.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2004, 01:15:56 PM »
Yeah, metroid hunters won't happen any time this year.  They don't wany to take anything away from Metroid Prime 2.  They need that game to do very well this year.  I wouldn't be surprised if instead of mario 4X4 we get mario kart instead, I doubt that'll happen, but its likely.  

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2004, 01:19:17 PM »
I was going to list 3rd party possibilities too, but then decided to focus just on Nintendo.

3rd party launch definates would be:

Bomberman: (Hudson has a good relationship with Nintendo, and a Bomberman game isn't too hard to throw together since they can easily use code already used on other Nintendo systems.)
Madden Football:EA is already stated they are working on the game.  They are usually quite good at releasing games during launch.  At least one or two.  So this game is a sure thing.  Mid-Football season too.  We definately will need a portable game to play while watch the games with our friends.
Sims: The Urbz Ea is working on this game as their definate launch title.  Perhaps even more than Madden this game will be out for launch.

Other games who knows for sure.  One of those Ultimate Games should be out at launch easily.

I suspect that either at launch or by years end we should have atleast 5 Nintendo published games on the DS.  I think they will all be out during launch.  Nintendo needs be able to hype the system with a solid list of games fast.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2004, 01:24:02 PM »

Originally posted by: MaleficentOgre
Yeah, metroid hunters won't happen any time this year.  They don't wany to take anything away from Metroid Prime 2.  They need that game to do very well this year.

Ninty didn't have a problem releasing Metroid Fusion the same time as Prime...And Ninty *definitely* needs a real Mario game at launch...Why?  Because I say so... ^_^

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2004, 01:34:13 PM »
See I think IF Metroid: Hunters is primarily a multiplayer game with a simple or no single player experience Nintendo will HAVE to launch it with Metroid Prime 2.  The entire concept of Hunters is to allow people to play multiplayer Prime on the go.  

Metroid is also a big name series now for Nintendo.  Its the game mature players hype that Nintendo has and the others don't.  I wouldn't be surprised if its not a launch game.  But then what will take its place?  

Mario Kart is a possibility.  They already had the game running they can design new courses in this amount of time, and Mario Kart is a huge fan favorite.

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2004, 05:22:01 PM »
i know they wouldn't sell ds for more than $180, would they ?
Banned

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2004, 06:30:42 PM »
I don't think they would, and as far as third parties go I think there'll be more than four launch titles. maybe as many as 10 I consider the first month a launch title.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2004, 09:45:15 PM »
I hope they know what's good for them and scrap 64x4 or at least delay it and release the 2d Mario first. A rehash (or near rehash, twist it as you like) as a launch title would create lots of bad publicity.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2004, 04:31:24 AM »
Better than luigi's mansion. I can't gauge when 2D mario will be done because it wasn't playable and I couldn't see any flaws in it.  with all the playble demos you can see how much work needed to be done.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2004, 06:25:10 PM »
I don't think they would release a multiplayer only Metroid Prime Hunters, especially on a portable system.  I think that multiplayer was shown at E3 for it because it was easier to make in such a short development time than it would be to write out the story, plot, etc.  There just wasn't enough time to flesh all that out.

As for release date, I'm betting now that the system will come out right before Thanksgiving, they're just rushing to get enough produced and launch titles done.  

As for launch titles, I don't know about Mario Kart, because what was shown at E3 looked identical to the tech demo Mario Kart shown for the N64 at E3 way back.  Or that could be a good thing, but that possibility is less likely, still there though.

Here our games I think could possibly be launch titles or released before 2005:
Atari Classics
Bomberman
Frogger 2005
Pac-Pix
Pictochat (possibly free)
Snowboard Kids
Super Mario 64x4
Urbz: SiC (very likely)
Warioware Inc
Assortment of small games together as 1 including: (balloon trip, carving, Nintendogs, Submarine, Table Hockey) or possibly 1 of these games could be full fledged and a stand alone game.
Castlevania
Mr. Driller
Rayman
Sonic DS
Ultimate games (1 of them)
Viewtiful Joe

I think maybe 4-8 games at launch or close after, and of the titles I listed I'm just saying it's possible, but not likely for some of them, still possible though.

Above all I think Nintendo will have a launch title that is a surprise, and possibly a 2nd surprise title before 2005 or just after.

My dream would be for an Earthbound title, even if it's released years later.  Actually the gba Earthbound 1+2 title has completely fallen off the radar, and Mother 3 has as well, could they have decided to release one of these on the DS with special DS features?  Even if the graphics were still gba quality it wouldn't matter.  

EDIT: I won't be surprised to see Majesco's new cartoon releases on the DS eventually, I think they already said they're interested in doing it.  Who knows when they will get the programming done to make them, months or a year.

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2004, 07:35:54 PM »
sorry...but, those are barely any of the games i'd think to come out with system, but Viewtiful Joe would be nice

oh and Joeamis, is star ocean till the end of time, and could u tell me about the 2 player, please...
Banned