Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U)  (Read 359637 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U)
« Reply #1275 on: March 05, 2018, 03:56:49 PM »
If you want to maximize your enjoyment of the game, I’d strongly recommend the DLC. The cave of trials is one of the best aspects of the title as a whole, and the Champion’s Ballad is pretty much a highlight reel of all the best moments in the game.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: April 08, 2018, 08:01:08 PM »
So someone modded BOTW to make Zelda playable.

It actually made me think a NewGame+ or Master Quest mode starring Zelda would have been a great extra. Imagine changing the story slightly to have Link be the one to dive into Calamity Ganon and sealing them away together, and Zelda is the one who awakens in the healing chamber 100 years later with amnesia and has to free Link and kill Ganon.

Would have been a great thing to add for a DLC #3.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: December 03, 2018, 02:49:24 PM »
So, I've been putting more time into this game to finally fully complete it. In the past few weeks, I've explored through the 60 of Death Mountain I hadn't gotten to as well as a bunch of large gaps in the Akkala region that I purposely left because I wanted to save some of that colorful fall foliage for later especially after going through the winter Hebra zone and then wastelands and Death Mountain harsh terrain.

I've now completed all 120 shrines and I've now acquired all clothing items (aside from the Amiibo items) except the Tingle pants. I'm working my way to them in Central Hyrule as I finally conquer that area. I'm glad I saved it for last. It's lush green fields are so inviting and peaceful aside from having to occasionally rough up a Guardian or two. Especially with winter and snow now here where I live. Having a nice summer area is so nice.

I finally finished up the Trials of the Sword last night also. The Final Trails weren't as difficult as I thought. I did take me three tries although the second was just bad luck of lightning electricity somehow carrying over to me during the Stalnox fight ending my game. The first one was from learning the opening couple floors a bit and not playing smart and taking a lot of damage. But I got it on my third try and once I got past the Stalnox acquiring his weapons and getting some food made, I was able to rock it the rest of the way. I could have made a bit easier on myself since I ended the trial with three ancient arrows still in my possession but not knowing how long it would go or what I would face made me want to save them just in case.

I also started up the Champion's Ballad DLC. For some reason, I thought it was just 4 shrines and a Divine Beast dungeon but I see it's actually 16 shrines plus a dungeon. If I had known that I wouldn't have spaced out those last shrines in the base game as breaks from the Korok hunt as much. On the subject of Koroks, I just need to find 21 of them suckers. The in-game completion from the Sheikah Slate puts me at 96.65% complete. Getting closer and closer.

At this point, I just need to get the Tingle pants and all Side Quests from both base game and DLC will be complete. All Shrine Quests are complete. The Compendium is complete aside from the hard mode enemies that don't appear in normal and you can not get pictures for then. I've defeated all 4 Moldugas and all 40 Stone Taluses. I just have 2 Hinoxes left to find. Not sure if I missed one or two or if they will appear in Central Hyrule. Running out of new places.

Thanks to the terrain of Akkala and Central Hyrule, I've been using a horse to roam through the areas a bit faster. With the Korok mask, it allows me to move faster without having to stop and search from different angles in an area to make sure I'm not missing anything and cover some of these big plains faster. I'm enjoying this opportunity to do more horse riding in the game. Never got to do to much of it since I was often going over so many steep elevations in my searching of the land. Now I'm finally in areas where the horse riding can be used. Although, I do wonder about working through the Champions Ballad to acquire the motorcycle and using that for the rest of my journey in Central Hyrule but I'd rather finish searching for Korok seeds now and then do the rest of those challenges. Guess I'll just take the motorcycle out for a few spins to see if there are any other treasure chests out there I've missed and to enjoy the view a bit.

Next up for me is the eastern border of Central Hyrule by a Bottomless Swamp and soon the Ranch ruins where the Tingle Pants should be. Soon, I'll be going through the ruins of Castle Town and that should pretty much cover it for places to see. It's been a long journey (so long that my Hero's path is disappearing from the south which I covered extensively in my beginning of the game) but the end is now in sight. That said, I'm still learning new things even now. For instance, upgrading the Tunic to its full potential required some dragon parts that I had never farmed before. I now have a bit of a better understanding of their components which a lot of you may already have from your time playing the game but it's been a bit of news to me. What a game!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: December 03, 2018, 07:56:26 PM »
What a game indeed

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: December 24, 2018, 09:28:33 PM »
Well, it's time. Time to wrap this up.

I finally finished my journey covering the center of Hyrule from south to north and finishing up by exploring Castle Town. Have taken down so many Guardians. They are nothing anymore. They used to be a threat but now only the Lynel provides a challenge and even that has really diminished. At the end of this journey, standing at the gates of Hyrule Castle, I find myself short 5 Korok seeds. I'm not surprised. I expected this might happen. I've since consulted with an online map and have found 5 seeds on that guide that I'm not seeing on my map.

You may remember this image from year ago in this thread where I highlighted what portions of the map I had searched for Korok seeds and other wonder of Hyrule and what my plan of progress was.

At the time, I was finishing up on the Tingle islands and then going to face Ganon and then starting working in a counterclockwise direction from the north of the Gerudo Highlands to Akkala to finish the border and then attack the juicy center. At the time, I did not have the Korok Mask so I just had to move very carefully and keep my eye open for potential spots. After I beat Ganon, I decided to check through the red area shown to see if I had been successful in finding all the Korok seeds to that point. I was not.

I can't really remember the number anymore but 38 sticks out to me. I missed a bunch but then there were also some Korok methods I needed to learn or missed like shooting arrows at certain Hyrule crests. Reading this thread, stevey mentioned that at one point but somehow I missed that advice also. Some were stupid misses on my part. Like there was one that I knew was coming up on my map because it showed the rock pattern for those complete the design Koroks. Yet, somehow, I was so busy searching around the area for other Koroks that I missed actually seeing and doing that Korok rock placement and never noticed that I didn't grab it. Some were under rocks on high cliff ledges that I guess I just never got the right camera angle to see them as I was searching. I thought I had covered Hyrule Castle well but there were a few more there. I remember being surprised at the Bridge of Hylia because I had found 5 along it and discovered there were three others I missed. Some places were bunched up like that and there were other areas that were very sparse with seeds.

Around the time I got the Korok mask, I was in the Hebra region and exploring that. After I wrapped up that northwestern corner, I decided to check my work again. There were 3 Korok seeds missed in it. Now, part of the could be from doing some of the zone without the mask but I did try to go back and quickly cover some territory just to be safe with the mask. Still, it showed me the mask wasn't infallible so I had a feeling more might be missed by the time I finished my journey. However, of the 5 left, only one is an area I went through fully using the Korok mask and that is in the Tenegar Canyon which required a lot of up and down elevation to check the walls. So, I get why that was missed. But the other 4 are more galling. They are all in earlier areas that I thought I had checked over when I did my first double check and saw those 38 that were missed. So, I don't know what happened there but it that really changed my opinion on the Korok mask. Considering the failure rate of was about 2 - 4 seeds missed over, maybe, 33 - 40 % of the map, I guess that thing does it's job pretty good after all.

The other thing that surprises me is that I missed a Hinox somehow. I don't know how I pulled that off as I felt I covered the map pretty darn good and fought them when I saw them. I'm thinking it has to be in an area close to my early adventure days where I may have encountered one and not fought it but I usually marked enemies like that on my map and later took them out when I became more confident in my abilities or covered an area in the search for Korok seeds. First thing I'm checking is Eventide Island in case that one didn't count the first time because of it's shrine set-up. Then I'm searching out a few other Necluda spots. All in all, though, I'm not terribly upset by this search since it will give me a chance to use the Master Cycle Zero.... which I don't have yet.

That is because I just need to do the Final Trial. It is where I left off on my game. One year after it was released, I've finally been playing through the Champion's Ballad. On the whole, I've quite enjoyed it and it has had a couple good and tricky puzzles. I was surprised that the Champion's Ballad was added to count towards the game completion percentage since it was DLC but I don't mind since it's been really worth it. Taken as a whole, the Ballad with it's shrines and tasks, the DLC Treasure hunt for costumes and abilities like the teleportation medallion and ancient gear for your horse, along with the Trial of the Sword are solid additions to the game that are really worth playing through. Finding and completing all of that DLC content has probably been, at least, 20 hours of extra playing time so the cost has been worth it for me even if I haven't used all of it like Hard Mode which I've never tried.

Now I hit the post button and get to it. Hopefully by the end of tonight, I'll have wrapped this game up. (Until I decide to try and get the Amiibo costumes as well, one day, after picking up the Amiibo for cheap or getting some pirate type solution.)

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: December 25, 2018, 03:42:17 AM »
And so it has come to pass. The Final Trial and Champion's Ballad has been completed. The Master Cycle Zero is stupid crazy fun. I could almost keep playing just driving that around and looking for mysterious treasure chests. Last Korok seeds acquired and 100% completion has now been attained. Found my last Hinox. Very strange. I don't know why I missed the one that I did. I seem to pass by the area a few times yet I'm not sure what my early past self was doing. My Hero's Path is unable to provide an accurate picture of the past as it currently starts playing sometime after I'd already defeated my second Divine Beast. It's done now and I got that last Kilton badge. Took in a few more views of Hyrule from different vantage points and times of day. Just doing that still has not gotten old for me. Drove across a Hyrule a bit and then I stormed the castle and roughed up Ganon real bad.

And that is that. I think I've about done it all now. Time to finally move on to some other titles on the Wii U and Switch.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: December 25, 2018, 09:11:10 AM »
Congrats Khush!
I wanna go back to this game and finish it up in the coming year. Still a bit undecided about when to get the DLC, I've done 2 out of 4 Divine Beasts now, so maybe it's too early still?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: December 25, 2018, 12:52:23 PM »
To me, there are various elements of the DLC that may be worth getting now rather than waiting. I believe the Champion's Ballad requires that you beat the four Divine Beasts before you can access that but I may be wrong there. In any case, having the Hero's Path for my map was a handy feature I used once I got it even though I didn't get around to the Champion's Ballad until this week. Likewise, the Korok Mask was a useful tool for the way I was playing. Another underrated element is the Ancient Briddle and Saddle for your horse. I have a really good horse with 5 Speed and Stamina and the Ancient horse gear gave it two extra Stamina as well as teleports your horse right to you when you whistle for it instead of waiting for it to run over to you. Still have to be somewhat in range though, I think. With the Korok Mask and horse, it made looking and exploring things through Akkala and Central Hyrule a lot faster as I could gallop along those fields at a quicker pace.

The rest of the DLC clothing is not that important really. It just copies effects of other clothing in the game except that it gives you that bonus effect instantly without upgrading the clothing to get it. I had long upgraded the various outfits and acquired the bonus effects for them so it was kind of disappointing to see it was all the same with the new outfits. Plus, you can't upgrade the DLC clothing so I stuck with the higher defense outfits I had for the most part. Still, they represent a few sidequests you can tackle for an extra diversion in your main adventure like the other side quests. So, it may be nice to blend those in rather than wait until later and just hunt them all down then.

It's all in how you play and what you want out of the game but not all the elements of the DLC have to be left for the end.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: December 25, 2018, 08:45:10 PM »
Congratulations Khush, I'm glad you did such a thorough completion. Game of the Forever!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: December 29, 2018, 01:25:49 PM »
I was going to ask how you found all the Koroks without a guide, but then I remembered the DLC gives a Korok sensor. That shoulda been in the game proper, but oh well.

In any case, conglaturation! ! !

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: June 29, 2019, 08:31:43 PM »
Been playing BOTW again this month whenever I had time, and it just continues to be an incredible game. Must be around 100 hours in by now surely. Just this week I found a place called the Forgotten Temple - is that from another Zelda game? Really neat place to stumble across. The tropical region Faron is cool too, massive dragon just came out of a small lake all of a sudden, and the Eventide island was a decent challenge.

I've mostly been combing through regions I've been to previously, found tons of Koroks now that I understand the game's way of hiding them better. Also been mopping up (heh) Shrines left and right, I think I did about 90 of them at this point. There's a really cool one underground on the edge of the Tabantha region, but also found like 4 boring Modest Strength Trials in a row unfortunately.

Right now I have maybe ~3.5 areas left to explore. The Wasteland region South-West I've been to briefly about 2 years ago, but I remember leaving when it gave me Gerudo Town flashbacks from Ocarina of Time. There's one more region above it which I've not been to yet at all, haven't even unlocked its Tower yet. Hebra snowfields I've not properly explored yet either, although I did cheat the maze by climbing atop it and heading straight for the center haha.

The Central region I've avoided almost entirely due to the high number of Guardians. I still don't really have a reliable way of tackling those, in the Forgotten Temple I mentioned I just bolted past them.
I'm kind of at that point y'all warned me about where I can't upgrade outfits because you need animals or insects, and I don't wanna capture anything.

Fourth Divine Beast is up next, but might get the DLC before that (thanks for the advice Khush!). Not prepared for this game to end yet lol. I'm amazed how this game routinely tricks me into thinking I've been almost everywhere, only to let me accidentally fall down a cliff and stumble upon another Memory spot, it's kind of unbelievable.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: July 03, 2019, 04:23:01 PM »
Got back into this game a bit too, and damn the DLC is frustrating! Doing shrines with one quarter heart is awful. I quit my progress after beating one of the first new shrines and went back to exploring. Also choosing to avoid fast travel for a while and just roam the country side. Finding a lot more koroks and other goodies and also forcing myself to fight every big monster I find. Still refused to beat Ganon, going to try to 99% before I do that. Maybe even get all the koroks if I am crazy enough. I'll set a deadline for the release month of BoTwo to just go in an beat Ganon no matter my progress so I can pick up the story right away.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: August 20, 2019, 03:22:50 PM »
Finally took the time to try shield-reflecting the Guardian laserbeams. Suuuuuper satisfying to pull off! I can't do it perfectly everytime yet but I'm already feeling like Neo in the Matrix.

Am I missing a lot of stuff, or is the Hebra region a bit underdeveloped relative to its size? There's the snowboarding challenge, a bunch of shrines and a maze, but that seems to be about it? If this game had caves it'd have been well cool to include big spawling ice caverns with frozen underground lakes there.

Was a bit fed up with constantly having to swap out weapons whenever I found a new one, so I ditched everything under power level 30. Maybe not my best move since I've only gotten skeleton arms and those Lizalfos boomerangs since then, but it's also kinda fun and liberating to build a collection back up. I sat on a bunch of Guardian swords forever without using them and they break in like 5 hits, so it's probably for the best to clear out the inventory.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1288 on: August 20, 2019, 05:56:19 PM »
Yeah, the guardian weapons are really only good against guardian enemies (and Ganon?)

But the Hebra region has a few other things like a hot spring, a lynel or two, one of the leviathan skeletons, and a Hinox from what I can remember.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: August 25, 2019, 01:02:19 PM »
4th Divine Beast down, 109 shrines completed. :-X
Two years ago, the Wasteland Gerudo area was one of the first places I stumbled into, before going back and doing the (intended?) Dueling Peaks - Zora Domain route. Back then I turned back around because in Ocarina of Time I feel like the Gerudo section came pretty late and I remember sorta disliking that stealth fortress part.

In BOTW it's a great area though, and I've not even remotely combed through everything there yet! There's a really fun shrine quest involving seven large stone statues which felt very typically Zelda, and while the Yiga hideout initially was kinda frustrating because I tried to take everyone out... It turned out to be super easy to take an unseen approach by climbing over all the guards and make off with their bananas like I'm King K. Rool.

One nitpick though: the Yiga Clan were pretty prevalent for me in the early game, but once I began the Zora -> Eldin -> Korok Forest -> Rito area -> Hebra route they basically disappeared from the game for a good 70 hours.  They're also not in Faron I don't think?
Anyway what I'm saying is, I nearly forgot about this plot point until running into it again here. I think the Gerudo area is probably intended as the first or second Divine Beast, instead of the fourth? Still fun to get there just now, though.

Next up: finishing the Wasteland area, then Gerudo highlands (I've tricked a Nice Guy and stole borrowed his snowboots). Will probably get the DLC then, do maybe another victory lap across the map to find more koroks, before it's off to the Central region!

But the Hebra region has a few other things like a hot spring, a lynel or two, one of the leviathan skeletons, and a Hinox from what I can remember.

Cheers, some of those I'd already found, loved the underground skeleton in particular. Went back and found a few more things. Mainly another snowball pachinko shrine and also found the hot spring you mentioned. Is there any point to that place though, beyond serving as a neat locale with healing properties? I waited for nightfall and an enemy appeared but nothing else.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1290 on: August 26, 2019, 03:38:09 PM »

Cheers, some of those I'd already found, loved the underground skeleton in particular. Went back and found a few more things. Mainly another snowball pachinko shrine and also found the hot spring you mentioned. Is there any point to that place though, beyond serving as a neat locale with healing properties? I waited for nightfall and an enemy appeared but nothing else.

I don't think so. There might be a deku seed in that area, but I can't remember.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: September 17, 2019, 12:27:47 PM »
All right gang, 119 Shrines down, 2 memories left (where the heck's that last forest bit?), got my weapon stash maxed out. Planning to get the DLC next play session.

Few more questions:
1. What were your favourite spots on the map others would likely have missed? For example, just today I found another faery fountain with a creature who can resurrect horses? That kinda stuff. Wanna do one last victory lap around the map before finally going into the castle.

2. What's the easiest place to find a bunch of shields? I tried prancing around Castle Town for a bit, and, well, I've got one shield left now. Still can't deflect Guardian lasers perfectly haha. Also, are there any non-Guardian shields which exceed 40 defence? I'm still rocking knight shields for every bossfight.

3. Oh just thought of this one, but in a lot of videos I see numbered healthbars above enemies... How do you enable seeing those? I guess it's not super useful, but I just see red bars without exact hitpoint numbers.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 12:39:55 PM by Steefosaurus »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: September 17, 2019, 01:20:54 PM »
1. What were your favourite spots on the map others would likely have missed?
Not sure if these were necessarily missed by anyone, but these were some spots I stopped and appreciated. Go to any peak at the bottom of the map, look the draw distance of Hyrule. Go to the eastern shore, watch the sunset.
2. What's the easiest place to find a bunch of shields? I tried prancing around Castle Town for a bit, and, well, I've got one shield left now. Still can't deflect Guardian lasers perfectly haha. Also, are there any non-Guardian shields which exceed 40 defence? I'm still rocking knight shields for every bossfight.
Kill some Lynels and/or Molduga. Since you’re pretty far along, defeat the Stalnox under Hyrule Castle (travel from Ridgeland Tower, you can see a ridge from a nearby bridge then follow the path) to get the Hylian Shield. It’s extremely durable and you can buy another one from a certain character in Tarrey Town once it breaks.
3. Oh just thought of this one, but in a lot of videos I see numbered healthbars above enemies... How do you enable seeing those? I guess it's not super useful, but I just see red bars without exact hitpoint numbers.
Wear the Champion’s Tunic.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: September 17, 2019, 03:14:34 PM »
1. Jumping off the edge of the map in the northwest section, bouncing off the "you can't go any further" invisible wall of dumbness, and glitching underneath the terrain.

2. Lynels are easy and at the end of the game I think they start to have good shields, especially if you get one of those random boosters.

3. I always felt this should have just been something in the options menu.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: September 18, 2019, 08:01:17 PM »
(where the heck's that last forest bit?),

Do you really want to know where it is or just a general location that you can search around?

Few more questions:
1. What were your favourite spots on the map others would likely have missed? For example, just today I found another faery fountain with a creature who can resurrect horses? That kinda stuff. Wanna do one last victory lap around the map before finally going into the castle.

This would be easier if you had the Hero's Path and could take a picture showing where you've travelled on the map to see what you may have missed. Of course, you need the DLC to get the Hero's Path option. I'm not sure what a normal playthrough might be since I played a very different style of carefully combing the land in a search for all Koroks. Most Shrine locations are around the major points of interest and I think most of the other side quests will also lead you to hunt other neat spots out but seeing a map would be helpful.

Hmmm. Tough one. I rarely was looking for shields so I never needed any kind of spot for easy shields. Over time as I found treasure chests over the land, I acquired many shields. Plus, as pointed out, Lynel shields can often be higher than the Knight Shields. That said, perhaps the best place might be doing a raid on Hyrule Castle from time to time. It has a lot of good weapons that will replenish after a blood moon and you can get a lot of Royal Shields from there and the enemies in that place. Might even be able to get some from the Coliseum enemies too. Royal Shields are higher than Knights Shields and my inventory was pretty much filled up with them. I could probably have dropped half of them and been fine with how long it took me to break shields.

Only Champion's Tunic allows that and I think it mentions that in the description of the shirt. Looks like you need to do more in-game reading my friend.  :P That said, you generally want to wear the tunic as it has the highest defense value of any shirt when maxed. Although, with your Forest Ranger style of play, you may not be able to max it out... Otherwise, the only reason not to wear it is to get the benefit that a complete clothing set can get you.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: September 22, 2019, 12:44:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone! Finally caved and bought the DLC (bummer it never went on sale on Wii U, it definitely has on Switch at least once). It's a nice shot in the arm though, so far, definitely going to extend my playtime by a good amount of hours.
Cleared the first Master Sword trial and did a bunch of scavenger hunts already. The Trials seem like a decent way to force myself to learn parries & flurry rushes at last, which I've been ignoring all game haha.

This would be easier if you had the Hero's Path and could take a picture showing where you've travelled on the map to see what you may have missed. Of course, you need the DLC to get the Hero's Path option. I'm not sure what a normal playthrough might be since I played a very different style of carefully combing the land in a search for all Koroks. Most Shrine locations are around the major points of interest and I think most of the other side quests will also lead you to hunt other neat spots out but seeing a map would be helpful.

Yeah I can't believe I didn't think about this, just flat-out forgot this feature was added in the DLC. It's such a useful feature though - already found a lot of places I hadn't been to. It's interesting how early on I meandered around aimlessly whereas later on you can clearly see I basically bolted from Suspected Shrine Location to Suspected Shrine Location. Still vaguely miffed features like this were gated behind a 20$ paywall, since the game clearly tracks your movements without it too, but it's really nice to have now.

Already found the forest memory this way and lots more Koroks. A weird place I never visited was the Military Training Camp, as I approached that Tower from the Eldin area direction instead. The one thing I'm worried about is how a combination of Hero's Path & Korok Mask might trigger some serious completionism in me haha.

1. Jumping off the edge of the map in the northwest section, bouncing off the "you can't go any further" invisible wall of dumbness, and glitching underneath the terrain.

Yeah this is stupid. I don't get why they didn't just put a big eff-you canyon there instead, like everywhere else around the world. Add a super strong wind which blows you back or something. I haven't clipped out of bounds yet, though.

Wear the Champion’s Tunic.

Haha dang, I've not worn that all game pretty much. I'm usually in the climbing gear, despite how hideous it is (did they seriously need a bandana), or the stealth gear. I think I need a very specific Dragon shard to upgrade this one or something, so that's why I've never worn it. Thanks!

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: November 05, 2019, 06:08:38 PM »
Finished Breath of the Wild today, park ranger Link is the Hero of Hyrule! All shrines & memories, 361 Koroks, ~54% total completion.
Full ending spoilers below!

The Hyrule Castle section was really thrilling, with all the guardians pointing at you from everywhere, and there must be so many ways to scale this place. Scaling waterfalls with the Zora suit, abusing Revali's gale, just climbing, taking the exterior route and wasting guardians, or sneaking in through the Dock entrance...
(I did a combination of all of the above.)

Had a few panicked moments when they drop a Lynel on you and close the gates around you -- I've never really learned to fight them, and have in fact only ever beaten one of them (near Zora's Domain). But remembered the Ancient Arrow trick from the Master Trials and just zapped them to space. Easy way out? Absolutely.

The final battle... Yeah it's on the easy side when you've spent ~200 hours playing this game and burst through the door with 100 bomb arrows and like 900 other weapons you could chuck at him. Doesn't make me regret any prior decisions though. Frankly I'm not sure how you'd scale this; he should get easier with more preparation, so struggling players have a way to beat him (getting all the Divine Beasts to halve his lifebar).

Conclusion: Is it fun to play without hunting/fishing?
Honestly, yes. Very much so, in fact. By forcing myself to save wildlife from hostile moblins, not picking every field clean but leaving some plants untouched, not fishing, hunting, or killing any animals where possible you kinda feel more responsible for this fake virtual world.
Later on I also restricted my mining of ore deposits, although admittedly the fossil fuel analogy doesn't really work there.

Playing this way does introduce some limitations:
1. I don't have every armour fully upgraded.
The Zora one, in theory you can sometimes find fish when you kill Octoroks, so I think that should be doable. I however chose to always sell these to food stores, so the food wouldn't go to waste. Although I suppose they might never be bought, and I guess it's like supporting the meat/fish consumption pipeline.

2. I've never made any elixirs.
They all require bugs to make. Did buy a fire one for Death Mountain. In retrospect that was unnecessary and supports the industry of killing bugs for Hylian consumption.

3. Several (seemingly dull) sidequests become unbeatable.
There's a kid who wants you to catch dragonflies, the Korok on top of the Deku Tree eventually wants you to bring him fish, there's a guy who wants crickets, someone who will trade you Heat resistant armour for lizards... Probably a few more? There's at least 1 Korok seed in the Castle I can't get because they want a boiled egg from you (didn't even know you could boil things!)

4. The Master Trials are really tough.
They give you meat, and even hearty fish which could probably restore you to full health I'm guessing, which would be veeeery welcome. Could even kinda rationalise these foods to be illusory, as the entire Master Trial realm seems kinda magically separate from the real world... Luckily there are radishes you can ration out, but I was definitely tempted here.

5. Dragons are a grey area.
The game almost forces you to harm at least one in a boss battle, and their scales are useful for several upgrades. I decided to consider these as immortal being who would be unfazed by a few lost scales, assuming they shed them over time. Doesn't quite justify hunting them everytime though (in fact there's a certain fridge horror in perenially torturing an undying being for materials).

List of wildlife I've possibly harmed:
- One nest of bees, shot down to reenact a Hunger Games scene on a moblin. Sorry bees.
- Several fish when I accidentally bombed a river.
- 2 Wolves were killed in an explosion.
- At least 2 dragons, several times.
- Caught a butterfly & beetle, released them seemingly unharmed?
- Rode a deer who seemed less than thrilled to unlock a Shrine. Deer seemed fine?
- Removed 3 horses from natural surroundings for domestication.
- Grabbed a crab by accident once and when you release those they look dead. :(
- Kept several fairies hostage for a while, they fly away on their own accord though.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 06:16:53 PM by Steefosaurus »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: November 07, 2019, 07:02:54 PM »
It must be tough to play video games if you apply real-life morals to them, ha ha.

- Several fish when I accidentally bombed a river.
- 2 Wolves were killed in an explosion.
- Kept several fairies hostage for a while, they fly away on their own accord though.
Trust me, these excuses don't hold up in court.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: November 07, 2019, 07:57:43 PM »

They do this in real life, but then scuttle away when you aren't looking. Crabs are masters at playing dead, so you probably shouldn't worry here.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1299 on: November 27, 2019, 01:24:07 AM »
I am going to get one new game for my new switch this weekend.  I can't decide between Breath of the Wild or Odyssey.  I need something that can be casually played and just pure Nintendo magic.  I love both series equally.  Thoughts?