Author Topic: The 3DS Fall Might Break Its Back  (Read 16244 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
The 3DS Fall Might Break Its Back
« on: August 13, 2012, 01:15:09 PM »

Two major 3DS games are delayed, making a thin line-up thinner in the important lead up to Wii U.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/31327

Nintendo unveiled the rest of their 3DS release schedule for 2012. While there are assuredly quality games littered in the next few months, there were two key absences: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate. We could also refer to those games as the "ones that got the biggest push at E3 2012."

Nintendo's press release confirmed the Luigi's Mansion delay, saying it is now coming out in the first half of 2013, an area also occupied by Fire Emblem and likely Animal Crossing on 3DS. Oddly, that makes the first half of 2013 stronger than the fall if those three games come out. We reached out to Konami regarding Mirror of Fate, but we have yet to get a reply. The game's absence in this press release makes it a safe bet that it isn't coming out soon.

In a fall that will ride heavily on the 3DS, as the Wii U won't be out until, unless Nintendo surprises everyone, November 18, this list of games is underwhelming. Nintendo's published 3DS retail titles from September to December (or more specifically, from October to November, as there are no Nintendo releases in September and none listed for December) consists of: 

• one Mario RPG (Paper Mario: Sticker Star - November 11)
  • a Layton game (Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask - October 28)
  • one upgraded eShop game (FreakyForms Deluxe - November 5)
  • a sequel to a DS fashion game (Style Savvy: Trendstters - October 22)
  • a Crosswords game (Crosswords Plus - October 1)
  • a sequel to a DS art game (Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone! - October 1)

It might be well-rounded, but it's not inspiring. Outside of that, the third-party list nearly betters Nintendo's efforts. While the following is subjective, here is a list of interesting third-party titles in my eyes:

• Skylanders Giants (October 21)
  • Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (October 23)
  • Code of Princess (October 9)
  • Adventure Time (Fall)
  • Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion (November 18)
It's not a miserable pile of games, but there is no stand-out, superlative work, like Super Mario 3D Land or Mario Kart 7 last year, that is a must-have game. This fall's tentative 3DS schedule is a mess of good-looking mid-tier and niche games. For a company coming off of their first loss in decades, this lineup of 3DS games can't inspire much confidence.

Although, taking a step back, New Super Mario Bros. 2 is coming out in August, and will likely sell at a high level throughout the fall. Similarly, Pokémon Black and White 2 hit October 7 on the DS, which will crossover considerably to the 3DS market. Those two caveats might save the company monetarily in regards to the 3DS, but still, the 3DS by itself during the fall is missing a heavy hitter. With the Wii U launch likely happening late in the season, this 3DS schedule doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence. But who knows, maybe we'll get a surprise or two, whether it's a last-second addition or some of the confirmed games far exceeding their expectations.

So, how do you feel about the 3DS' fall release schedule? Sound off in the Talkback thread below.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NinJha01

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: The 3DS Fall Might Break Its Back
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 01:19:41 PM »
So you're saying this might be the Bane of its existence? (see what I did there?)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 01:24:19 PM »
The only good spin I can come up with is that it means I don't have to spend as much money on 3DS games, which gives me more to spend on the Wii U, which unlike the 3DS has a great lineup.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 01:25:23 PM »
I'll have more time to catch up on stuff and play more stuff on Vita/PS3/360, I guess. Maybe the eShop will blow me away? I don't know.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 01:29:38 PM »
It would have been nice if the 3DS would be getting Black Ops 2 this fall, but unfortunately that is going to the Vita. Such a waste.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 01:31:07 PM »
On that note, I'm curious to see how the Vita lineup stacks up to this. My gut is that it might be stronger, which is weird to me.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 01:36:27 PM »
I think they're about the same, which is horrible for the 3DS considering how much of a lead it has.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 01:36:34 PM »
For me, this lineup kind of sucks (I have to imagine that Europe will also see a delay for Luigi's Mansion). I was already pretty bummed out when they announced that Fire Emblem would not make it's Fall release, so the Luigi's Mansion delay is pretty dissappointing.

As someone who has been chastened by the complete lack of Wii software and having also decided not to purchase a Wii U until I get a better idea of what Nintendo's competitors will be doing in the next generation, alot of my gaming this year was pinned to the 3DS. So yeah, it's pretty dissappointing.

Having said that, I couldn't be happier about Spin Cycle and at least Super Paper Mario and Power of Illusion are coming out this year.
Gouge away.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 01:43:42 PM »
I get the feeling that Nintendo believes everybody who owns a 3DS will buy a Wii U, just like they assume everyone who bought a Wii will buy a 3DS and a Wii U. Their release schedules are dictated as such. So, if you're on the fence about Wii U, you're almost **** out of luck later this year. Likewise, if you don't own a 3DS and are waiting for Wii U, your new game fall is gonna be **** until November.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 01:57:25 PM »
I get the feeling that Nintendo believes everybody who owns a 3DS will buy a Wii U, just like they assume everyone who bought a Wii will buy a 3DS and a Wii U. Their release schedules are dictated as such. So, if you're on the fence about Wii U, you're almost **** out of luck later this year. Likewise, if you don't own a 3DS and are waiting for Wii U, your new game fall is gonna be **** until November.

Yup. Pretty much. To a certain extent they're correct, as I have no doubt that many, many Wii and 3DS owners will run out and buy a Wii U simply because it's a box that will play Nintendo games (if I could afford it I'd be right there with them). Sucks for people like me though who stuck with the Wii, who bought a 3DS at launch, and who would have greatly liked to see their existing platforms better supported before they decide to commit to another one. I wouldn't go so far as to say I feel burned by Nintendo, but their handling of the Wii and 3DS have certainly weighed on my decision not to purchase a Wii U at launch.
Gouge away.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 02:20:52 PM »
Well Adventure Time, Code of Princess & NSMB2 is a enough for me.  LM2 is a bummer.  I don't think it's as dire as people are acting.  Also NSMB2 is starting the holidays early etc.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 03:07:22 PM »
To date, there has been exactly one 3DS retail game that I actually cared about owning. (There is also a small handful of quality games that don't appeal to me. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how "good" a game is if it doesn't appeal: I'm still not buying or playing it.)

The platform hasn't been a disappointment because of a fairly strong digital lineup and full backward compatibility... but it's been far from a standout system and hardly something I could recommend to my friends.
NNID: ejamer

Offline luigiman

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 03:12:38 PM »
in super mario wiki it said the NA & europe has been delayed to Q1 2013 whlie japan still have a 2012 release f**k! :@

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 03:43:28 PM »
in super mario wiki it said the NA & europe has been delayed to Q1 2013 whlie japan still have a 2012 release f**k! :@

I wouldn't trust anything a Wiki says... and if you are really desperate enough you can always just import it.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 03:58:20 PM »

I wouldn't trust anything a Wiki says... and if you are really desperate enough you can always just import it.

Which is fine if he owns a Japanese 3DS.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 07:25:17 PM »
Everything I heard about Luigi's Mansion suggested that it still needed a bit more polish, so the delay could probably be a good thing. Plus, it would probably be overshadowed by his older brother's RPG game if released in the same time period anyway.

I don't really remember those two games being "ones that got the biggest push at E3 2012." In fact, I'd forgotten about Castlevania until this article.

I'm not concerned, there are plenty of third party games coming out in the meantime.

Offline Tenser

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 07:49:40 PM »
Not a fan of Luigi's Mansion but I see the Castlevania delay as a huge relief. I was staring down the face of three, possibly five games to purchase in October.

I am certainly picking up Code of Princess and Zero Escape. I also want Adventure Time and Unchained Blades which are both tentative October titles.

I'm also curious about Spy Hunter and NightSky.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 08:14:52 PM »
I don't really remember those two games being "ones that got the biggest push at E3 2012." In fact, I'd forgotten about Castlevania until this article.

In terms of 3DS, the biggest push was at the 3DS presser Nintendo held. Castlevania and LM2 were two of the five games or so that got a prolonged spotlight.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 08:51:50 PM »
Castlevania most likely needs more time to work out its kinks. Most reports about the frame rate were pretty negative at E3.

Your comment about there being no stand out game is a bit strange since I would have thought Paper Mario and Mario RPGs in general are usually a bigger hit than Luigi's Mansion. So are you saying there was no stand out title to begin with?

Also where is Scribblenauts in your list? That's coming this year correct? Also what about Lego City Undercover?

My take on this is that Nintendo expects the titles to be coming out enough to tide over current users and that new users can pick up Mario Kart/3D Land/NSMB2/Kid Icarus to tide them over. Nintendo can't release system sellers every year.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 08:58:34 PM »
This year will really suck if Scribblenauts Unlimited is disappointing. I really like the 2nd game and really want the 3rd game to be e-shop download.

Mario, Fluidity, Scribblenauts are the only games I really am interested in.

I got burnt out on mario rpgs after M&L bowser Inside Story

I guess my current 3DS games will get more play, but i wonder how long that will last.  :( :@ :confused; :-\ :-[

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 08:59:58 PM »

I wouldn't trust anything a Wiki says... and if you are really desprate enough you can always just import it.

If I'm not mistaken, LM:DM is being developed out of Canada-- meaning it's being developed in English first and will have to be localized for Japan. So it's pretty much certain that Japan won't be getting it this year either.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 09:01:31 PM »
I don't think there was a stand-out fall 3DS title to begin with, though as I say, that could technically be NSMB2 or Pokémon B/W2. Even still, remove a solid big release from a holiday slate that already wasn't very strong makes it worse. Let's put it this way: throw in a Luigi's Mansion, a Fire Emblem, or an Animal Crossing into this current list, and I don't think I feel the urge to write this editorial. I understand LM likely will benefit from the extra time. It's just disappointing that there is a gap in the schedule (at least to me as a high-level 3DS user).

Scribblenauts, to me, isn't exciting on 3DS, which is why I added that caveat to the third-party list. That third-party list is games I would buy. I don't think I'd buy Scribblenauts 3DS. LEGO City wasn't mentioned, going with my personal theory that LEGO City ain't ready for primetime (3DS wasn't at E3; Wii U was very rough).
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 11:10:47 PM »
I know what your saying Neal , I guess its grasping for straws. The new one does look good, and they have improved on the games as they go so I EXPECT a great game, but unless it gets amazing scores i might skip it out.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 11:25:41 PM »
I know what your saying Neal , I guess its grasping for straws. The new one does look good, and they have improved on the games as they go so I EXPECT a great game, but unless it gets amazing scores i might skip it out.

Oddly, the Wii U version does excite me, but I also think Scribblenauts works best as a kind of one-player party game.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline TeaHee

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 08:06:34 AM »
Here is my conspiracy theory.  Nintendo short changes the 3DS this fall so that Wii U isn't overshadowed by its better line up.  Then to get your fix you by buying a Wii U and more of its games than you had planned.  Next spring when Wii U slows down you release some of your big 3DS titles to satiate gamers.

I don't really believe this, but I think very few people who promote conspiracy theories really believe them.