Author Topic: 3DS XL FAQ  (Read 21220 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
3DS XL FAQ
« on: June 22, 2012, 01:38:06 PM »

So what is up with this new 3DS and what is there to know about it?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/guide/30837

Nintendo announced a new 3DS model, dubbed the 3DS XL in North America and Europe and the 3DS LL in Japan, and understandably, you might be curious as to what exactly it is and why we should care. So, we compiled some information about it to keep together in one area. Enjoy!

So, is my old 3DS irrelevant?

Nope. It's still fine. All the 3DS XL is is a new, bigger model. Think how the DSi XL was to the DSi. It's better in some ways, but it doesn't make the old system obsolete.

What's new?

The 3DS XL adds larger screens, a new form factor, and some other tweaks. 

How big are the new screens?

The screens are 90% larger, going from 3.53 inches to 4.88 inches wide on the top and 3.02 inches to 4.18 inches wide on the bottom. The dimensions are also changing, with the original 3DS being 5.3 inches wide x 2.9 inches deep by .83 inches high and the new 3DS XL being 6.14 inches wide x 3.66 inches high x .86 inches high.

How is the design being altered?

There aren't any major changes, just some small tweaks. The design of the system is slightly more rounded, and hopefully, they've solved the riddle of the marks left on the top screen with the addition of spacers to the left and right of the camera. The Start/Select/Home buttons appear to be, well, more like buttons. They're still in the same spot, but they're quite different looking.

Is the battery better?

A little bit. The range for playing 3DS games will increase from 3-5 hours to 3.5-6.5 hours. For DS games, the system should last between 6-10 hours, which is better than the original's 5-8 hours.

Can I transfer stuff from my old 3DS easily?

You should be able to. Pretty much everything can transfer over, including your eShop account info, Ambassador status, Play Coins, StreetPass info, Activity Log, and more. The system transfer also features Pikmin, so that's fun.

Does it come with anything else?

It will come with a 4 GB SD card instead of a 2 GB one. It also comes with a new stylus.

What's this I hear about no AC Adapter?

In Europe and Japan, the system won't come with an AC adapter (or the cradle) to keep costs down. In North America, the system will come with an AC adapter. Don't fret if you're in one of those unlucky regions, though; your DSi/3DS charger will work with the 3DS XL.

When's it coming out?

It's coming out in Europe and Japan on July 28. It's not hitting until August 19 in North America.

Anything coming out alongside it?

Japan will get New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Oni Training (the new Brain Age game).
Europe will get New Art Academy and FreakyForms Deluxe all on the same day the system launches.
North America will get New Super Mario Bros. 2 the same day the new system launches. These titles are, of course, all sold separately.

What's the price of it?

In North America, it will cost $200.
In Japan, it will cost 18,900 yen.
In Europe, the price is unconfirmed as of now.

What colors will this sucker come in?

In North America, there are two colors: Red and Blue (the exterior is red/blue, but the interiors will be black).
In Europe, there are also three colors: Blue, Red, and Silver (colored exterior, black interior)
In Japan, there are three colors: Red x Black (red exterior, black interior), Silver x Black (silver exterior, black interior), and White.

What about the Circle Pad Pro?

The Circle Pad Pro will not work with the 3DS XL. There are currently no plans to make a Circle Pad Pro XL.

Why doesn't it have a second Circle Pad?

I don't know. Ask Nintendo. Obviously a second Circle Pad isn't necessary right now in their eyes.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS XL FAQ
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 01:43:17 PM »
Your FAQ doesn't include the most frequently asked questions of all: why is there no dual circle pads? and what does this mean for the circle pad pro peripheral? Obviously it isn't going to fit, so what about that?
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 01:51:20 PM »
Added questions/answers about the Circle Pad situation. Thanks!
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Colonel Mustard

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 01:53:07 PM »
A second analog isn't necessary. No games require it and very few actually support it.

It wouldn't make any sense to break-up the user-base like that.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 01:59:11 PM »
A second analog isn't necessary. No games require it and very few actually support it.

It wouldn't make any sense to break-up the user-base like that.

I totally agree. As a lefty, I'll miss having the Circle Pad Pro (assuming it's not getting an XL release down the road) for Kid Icarus, but I've put up with Kid Icarus from the right-handed control scheme before. I can do it; I just prefer using my natural dominance.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 02:12:27 PM »
Added questions/answers about the Circle Pad situation. Thanks!

No problem. Thank you for adding that. I think it helps make the FAQ more complete, even though no one really knows the answers yet (except for Nintendo).
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 02:16:16 PM »
I also agree. I wouldn't have said no to it being included but I only own one game that's compatible with it (Resident Evil Revelaitons) and it played just fine without the right circle pad.

Offline Penguin_Of_Thyme

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 02:31:10 PM »
I would guess Nintendo might release a Circle Pad Pro XL at some point for Monster Hunter fans.
Jared Rosenberg
Video Producer, Nintendo World Report

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 02:31:55 PM »
Maybe not many games support it now and maybe there are none which require it, but if it had been integrated that would eventually change.
is your sanity...

Offline house3136

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 02:46:07 PM »
 I’ve never used the CPP, and I beat RE: Revelations on Hell Mode just fine without it. However, I could see Metal Gear greatly benefiting from it. For those who have Luigi’s Mansion, I doubt Nintendo will support it, but do you think that game could benefit from CPP or did it handle pretty well? From the videos I’ve seen, it looks like some people struggle with the controls.

Offline house3136

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »
 *have played Luigi’s Mansion at E3

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 02:59:37 PM »
It totally would be improved with the Circle Pad Pro, but I think Luigi's Mansion is totally fine without it. The only game that's almost totally broken without it is Metal Gear Solid 3.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 04:09:45 PM »
I'm not sure why anyone thinks it's likely that Nintendo will pass up an opportunity to sell an extra peripheral for their system.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Tenser

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 04:10:41 PM »
Any idea if the stylus is still located at the top or has it been moved back to the right like on the DS line?

Offline C-Olimar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 04:13:19 PM »
There's a small error in the FAQ - you said Kingdom Hearts 3D launches alongside the XL in Europe, but it actually comes out July 20th, which is 8 days before the 3DS XL.

Offline Colonel Mustard

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 05:41:54 PM »
Barring MGS (which is still serviceable without the CPP) I don't see a reason why a second slide-pad would need to be integrated in to the system. If you're making a game that must utilize dual-analog in order to function, why are you making it for the 3DS in the first place?

Resident Evil and Monster Hunter Tri G may support the addition but they also have control schemes that work beautifully without the use of a second pad. With the use of gryo-aiming and the touch pad, I find it confusing that some feel that the hardware needs dual-pads.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 05:53:26 PM »
If you're making a game that must utilize dual-analog in order to function, why are you making it for the 3DS in the first place?

But since Nintendo's goal is (or should be) to get ALL developers completely on board with their hardware, they need to have that second analog available. If developers don't want to use it they don't have to, but there's no harm in it being there for an option for those who want it.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 06:01:01 PM »
There wouldn't be harm in having it as an option if it were there from day one. Adding it now segments the user base, and doing so would either be pointless or screw over everyone who bought the first model, depending on whether games start requiring it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 06:11:28 PM »
There wouldn't be harm in having it as an option if it were there from day one. Adding it now segments the user base, and doing so would either be pointless or screw over everyone who bought the first model, depending on whether games start requiring it.

That would only be true if the CPP peripheral didn't exist, but it does exist. Therefore no one is screwed and the market wouldn't be segmented, because original 3DS owners can just get the peripheral and then they too can join in on the fun.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 06:35:20 PM »
The market would absolutely be segmented, because the owners of the original model wouldn't necessarily have the new feature. By your logic Motion+ didn't segment the Wii market because people had the option of buying the add-on for all their old remotes.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 07:28:53 PM »
Nope. Chozo's right on this one. The CPP exists, therefore no segmentation. All any original 3DS owner would have to do is order it directly through Nintendo or walk into a Gamestop to pick one up. Simple.

I don't understand why you people have to keep arguing against this notion. Sheesh. Options are BETTER.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline lifetimeofnot

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 07:34:41 PM »
it appears to me that the stylus comes out of the bottom now. the bottom right to be specific.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 07:35:04 PM »

Nope. Chozo's right on this one. The CPP exists, therefore no segmentation. All any original 3DS owner would have to do is order it directly through Nintendo or walk into a Gamestop to pick one up. Simple.

I don't understand why you people have to keep arguing against this notion. Sheesh. Options are BETTER.

So you would argue Nintendo introducing Motion+ didn't segment the market? Because this is the exact same situation.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 07:39:05 PM »
The market would absolutely be segmented, because the owners of the original model wouldn't necessarily have the new feature. By your logic Motion+ didn't segment the Wii market because people had the option of buying the add-on for all their old remotes.

Motion Plus never segmented the market because the few games which required it tended to come bundled with it. Wii Sports Resort, Red Steel 2, and Fling Smash are three I know of offhand which had M+ bundled with the games, so the game came exactly with what it required....so its just like buying something with the batteries conveniently included. No extra purchases are necessary.

On the other hand, I don't think Skyward Sword came with it, unless you count the limited edition gold wiimote bundle deal... so maybe some people bought that game and didn't have it, but considering how long M+ has been available and how many games that came out before that which DID bundle it, I think the level of market segmentation was really minuscule and not worth worrying about.

As you said yourself, the CPP is just a cheap piece of plastic and some wires, so any game that requires it can just come bundled with it, just like Monster Hunter did. There is no segmentation when its bundled with the games.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 07:42:48 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 08:31:20 PM »
Dear NWR - I often comment about how I dislike handheld gaming, often gripe about the 3DS, Nintendo's most recent 10 years of gaming history and anything awesome in general.  Why do I care about the 3DS?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.