Author Topic: Nintendo TVii Delayed to December  (Read 3629 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Nintendo TVii Delayed to December
« on: November 16, 2012, 10:13:58 AM »

Fans of watching stuff on the Wii U will have to wait a few weeks for TVii, Netflix, and more.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/32501

Nintendo TVii, previously touted as a launch day feature, isn't coming until December, according to a recent Nintendo press release.

At a non-specific December date, Nintendo will activate Nintendo TVii, the service that will "transform how people find, watch and engage with TV shows, movies and sports." Additionally, streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus, and YouTube won't be out at launch.

Their time frame is "in the coming weeks," meaning that they might be available before Nintendo TVii's rollout or vice versa. The wording of the press release insinuates that each service will have their own app outside of Nintendo TVii. We have contacted Nintendo for clarification.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo TVii Delayed to December
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 10:46:23 AM »
This is some bullshit.  I mean, I guess I want them to get the services whipped into shape before making them live, but this means I will have to keep my Wii hooked up to watch Netflix/Hulu until these are available on Wii U. Not the end of the world, but definitely annoying.
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:59:17 AM »
First world problems.

Offline HeyItsMe

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 11:01:23 AM »
"Works with almost all Wii games" Pshh this thing better work with every Wii Game. In December is not to bad for TVii I can't wait to get this thing Sunday morning at 10am PST

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 11:12:49 AM »
First world problems.
That's this whole site in that regards.

Well, I'm hoping their is more media support than indicated because I hate to have to keep my PS3 hooked up because its the superior all around Media player (Netflix, DLNA Support, 3D Blu-Ray/DVD, etc.)  I'm really hoping to move the PS3 to another room.  Maybe at the very least I could do something with Bluetooth or and adapter to use the Gamepad...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 11:22:39 AM »
That's a bummer. Could I still access Netflix through my built in virtual Wii?

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 11:47:25 AM »
I have 5 different pieces of hardware that run Netflix and Hulu.  While its disappointing I won't be able to tinker with these features out of he box, better they release it when it's done right than as a half-baked mess.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 12:14:20 PM »
Well since they worded it turned on, they probally have their end of the software done. It was probally Netflicks or Hulu who didn't have it done.

And I doubt the Wii Channel will work because it seems Nintendo sandboxed it so the Wii's exploits couldn't be used. So I know games that use the network and Connect24 do not work (for now) so if you want movies just keep the Wii Hooked into a different hook (if your TV has multiples).
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 12:24:24 PM »
That's fine, really.  Probably won't have the time to use it until December, anyway.

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 12:38:24 PM »
Apparently Netflix has said that its Wii U app will be available Day 1 but won't be incorporated into TVii until next year.
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 03:42:58 PM »
Does anyone know if this will work in Australia, or will we be shafted as usual?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 04:04:22 PM »
Do you have these kinds of streaming video services in Australia? Based on everything I've seen, this is mostly an American thing because we're the ones with all the choices for video streaming.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 06:09:31 PM »
Now how will I watch TV?

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 06:43:28 PM »
I've said this alot in the last few weeks in regards to Wii U news, but I'll say it again. Soooooo dumb.
Gouge away.

Offline Fireponcoal

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 07:01:21 PM »
Really cute Nintendo.  Thanks.  Why have most recent consoles from this company been released in a somewhat half baked fashion?  Kind of like the TVii feature in my opinion but I guess that truely remains to be seen.  Getting in bed with different cable/sat companies is never easy and I'm betting when the feature gets an official ok many companies including Direct TV and others will not fully be on board.  Direct TV already has a pretty nice iPad app and I can't see them letting Nintendo release something that does essentially the same thing. Direct TV poured tons of money into perfecting their product on iOS and want it to be a seemless experience.  Time will tell I guess and I'm very curious to see how it all shakes out.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 07:20:44 PM by Fireponcoal »

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 07:14:49 PM »
Delayed until December isn't that bad. It would be worse if it wasn't coming until 2013.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 08:48:10 PM »
The crying all over the internet about this is exactly why Nintendo keeps the details of their plans close to their chest.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 08:59:34 PM »
The crying all over the internet about this is exactly why Nintendo keeps the details of their plans close to their chest.

No, instead they've spent the last two months hyping a feature they couldn't deliver on, at least in the 3 weeks of the console's life cycle. Yes, that's much better.  ::)

I don't care about this feature, and I never will care about this feature. If I want to watch TV, there's at least 3 other ways I have of doing so.  I just find it striking how rushed this launch seems, despite Nintendo having spent at least the last several years preparing for it.  And unlike the Wii U Virtual Console (or anything else Nintendo has conveniently omitted from pre-launch announcement), which people defended as being "too minor" to be worth being concerned about not being ready for launch, Nintendo has been hyping TVii as a major feature.  It makes me wonder if we've heard the end yet of the features the Wii U won't have, at least at launch.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 02:24:37 AM »
Remember, Nintendo is working with outside companies for a lot of the TVii stuff. Not just Netflix/Hulu/Amazon, they've got another company doing the main interface of it. The problem may have been on one of their ends. But we'll never know that, and six months from now nobody will remember any of this, at least assuming It doesn't slip any farther. The odds are pretty good that most of the people for whom this is a major selling point will have a hard time finding one in the first three weeks anyway.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent