Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming
New North American (NPD) Sales Thread
<< < (15/134) > >>
couchmonkey:
I think the responsibility lies with Nintendo in as far as Nintendo seems to be the company that tried to get the deal in place, and Nintendo stood to benefit the most, so the Nintendo should have had a plan in place for marketing the game.  I agree that Nintendo shouldn't be required to advertise 3rd party products, but if it's making deals for exclusive game releases, Nintendo has a vested interest in marketing the game.  

Of course Konami has an interest too, and I think some of the responsibility lies with Konami, because it probably could have made a lot more money from the deal if it had spent some cash on advertising.  I think the game's sales could easily be near half a million units with proper marketing.

Anyway, I don't think placing blame now does any good.  If Nintendo does deals like this in the future, I think it should consider putting a marketing plan in place from the start that requires the third party to show a certain amount of support for the game in terms of advertising dollars, and Nintendo could agree to match whatever the third party spends.  I think it's the responsibility of both parties to make the game sell.  Nintendo wants it to drive hardware sales and show people the kinds of games the system is capable of, and the third parties (should) want to make money from the game.
Ian Sane:
"has konami advertised for past metal gear games???"

They sure have.  I saw quite a lot of commercials for MGS2 for the PS2 (all giving the impression that you play as Snake the whole time ) and when MGS2 came out for the Xbox I saw an ad for it practically every day.  Maybe Sony and MS had something to do with those ads but the point is those games had ads everywhere and Twin Snakes had virtually none.
BigHit30:
NPD numbers are independent and unbiased so what they say, not MS, Sony, or Nintendo, is true.
joeamis:
I agree with Couchmonkey.  And why wouldn't Konami give the impression that you play with Snake the whole time?  Playing as Raiden was supposed to be a secret...  I actually saw alot of advertising for Wario Ware GC myself on tv, online, magazines, etc.
Darc Requiem:

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"has konami advertised for past metal gear games???"

They sure have.  I saw quite a lot of commercials for MGS2 for the PS2 (all giving the impression that you play as Snake the whole time ) and when MGS2 came out for the Xbox I saw an ad for it practically every day.  Maybe Sony and MS had something to do with those ads but the point is those games had ads everywhere and Twin Snakes had virtually none.
--- End quote ---

Thank you Ian. Thats all that had to be said. I've harped on it before in this thread. Hell I'll do it again. Konami was basically handed a completed game free of charge. All they had to do with was publish and advertise it. I had completely forgotten about the Substance ads...they were quite funny. Anyway the point is if they can advertise Substance on X-box, they should have done the same for Twin Snakes. Those Substance ads were on constantly at least for a few weeks.

Darc Requiem
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version