Author Topic: Crowdfunding for Eternal Darkness Spiritual Successor Begins  (Read 3863 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile

Shadow of the Eternals, a proposed 12-episode game, will use CryENGINE 3 and is slated for a 2014 release.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34118

Shadow of the Eternals, the spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness, has now been officially revealed. From Precursor Games, it is an episodic Wii U/PC title, using CryENGINE 3, seeking $1.5 million for its first episode, due out in Q3 2014. Through other sources, we can confirm that this project originally started as the Eternal Darkness 2 demo that Silicon Knights was rumored to have been showing to publishers.

Precursor Games is a small Canadian developer made up of former Silicon Knights staffers, including Denis Dyack. They formed in July 2012, which was around the time Silicon Knights collapsed.

You can check the official site for more details about donating and the available rewards. It is worth nothing that the project's Terms of Use doesn't offer any kind of return on your donation if the project isn't funded. However, Precursor Games notes that they are looking to make this game however they can even if the goal isn't met.

A gameplay demo is up on IGN if you're curious to see what the game looks like in action.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Crowdfunding for Eternal Darkness Spiritual Successor Begins
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 01:15:18 PM »
It is worth nothing that the project's Terms of Use doesn't offer any kind of return on your donation if the project isn't funded.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 01:36:24 PM »
Considering the drought of games for the Wii U Nintendo would be smart to pick this game up and fund its development.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 01:38:23 PM »
I'm tempted to get this $5 lottery ticket in the off chance this happens. Plus, I would get access to their dev forums.

On the other hand, DYACK.

Jonny was friendly with Dennis Dyack at one time, curious if he endorses a donation.

Offline geo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 01:38:50 PM »
It is worth nothing that the project's Terms of Use doesn't offer any kind of return on your donation if the project isn't funded.

THIS really needs to be highlighted.  You could basically be throwing your money away.  Dyack does not have the best record for releasing games recently.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 02:00:44 PM »
I hope this happens. If it gets published, and if quality is at least half decent, I will buy.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 02:05:52 PM »
Given Nintendo still owns the Eternal Darkness IP how connected would this be exactly?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 02:07:20 PM »
Considering the drought of games for the Wii U Nintendo would be smart to pick this game up and fund its development.
Considering the first chapter won't even be ready until Q3 2014, I don't see how picking the game up would help the current drought. Giving Denis Dyack the benefit of the doubt (that he, quite frankly, does not deserve), all 12 chapters probably wouldn't be out until 2015. By then, Nintendo would have either sunk deeper thus beyond help or recovered on their own. This isn't the type of game that would change much either way. It would, however, be a nice addition to the Wii U lineup if it comes anywhere close to meeting the quality of Eternal Darkness. I would buy it, but I won't contribute to this crowd funding.

Too Human's budget was estimated at something like $60 million on the low end. I don't think Shadow of the Eternals would be worth picking up for Nintendo unless the budget could be kept at $10-15 million. Don't get me wrong, I would love for Nintendo to pick up Shadow of the Eternals if only so it could be reworked into an Eternal Darkness sequel and I can say, "Pargon, Pargon, Pargon, Redgormor, Xel'lotath" into the GamePad microphone (or touch tap runes on the screen) to cast Magick.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 02:30:53 PM »

THIS really needs to be highlighted.  You could basically be throwing your money away.  Dyack does not have the best record for releasing games recently.

I think Kickstarter is largely the same way, except I remember reading in Kickstarter FAQs that there at least backers have a legal recourse against the project creator in the case where the product isn't delivered, but of course that'd be solely between you and whoever you wanted to sue.

I think in most cases, it's much cleaner to think of these things as charities, not investments.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 02:33:16 PM »
if only so it could be reworked into an Eternal Darkness sequel and I can say, "Pargon, Pargon, Pargon, Redgormor, Xel'lotath" into the GamePad microphone (or touch tap runes on the screen) to cast Magick.

+1 sir. PLUS.ONE.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 03:03:19 PM »
OK, time for the gloves to come off:

This crowdfunding effort has no milestones, no goals, no release schedule, no safeguards, and no assurances that a game will actually be made. You are basically giving your credit card to Dennis Dyack, a known thief; liar; and con-artist well-known for milking his financial backers for all they're worth for as long as possible with little in return.  If you donate to this crowdfunding effort, you are a gullible moron.

If this company was actually serious about making a game, they'd never have signed on with Dennis Dyack.  But they did, and every aspect of this project reeks of being a colossal scam.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 03:23:47 PM »
There's one milestone, one goal, and a release timeframe: release the first chapter in Q3 2014 (July 1, 2014 to September 30, 2014). That's in the article.

Did anyone actually go to the website? They state that they will refund all pledges if they do not have enough to fund the project which is the first episode. Subsequent episodes will cost less to produce, but that's not what they're asking people to pledge for. If they pass their $1.5 million goal, they'll add content which is not specified (e.g. in-game perks, additional platforms etc.). I'm still not sending them a dime until they release content for sale and I can buy it from the eshop, but it's nice to know this stuff is in writing.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 03:33:01 PM »
There's one milestone, one goal, and a release timeframe: release the first chapter in Q3 2014 (July 1, 2014 to September 30, 2014). That's in the article.

Did anyone actually go to the website?

To be perfectly honest, I'd only seen the Terms of Service page so I retract most of those "No"s.  That said, I do not retract what I said about Dyack or what his association with this project probably means.  The man's post-Nintendo history and that scathing kotaku article about the scam he was running with X-Men Destiny speak for itself.  This project will never come to fruition, and in the process they're probably going to continuously rush to the Kickstarter well for "unexpected costs".

Donate at your own risk, but know that if you're just going to throw your money away you might as well just give it to an actual charity that deserves it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »
Well of Broodwars is again it, I'm fer it! Where do I sign up?

Seriously though, he's probably right.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 03:41:06 PM »
So it's using CryENGINE 3, so I can assume after a few years with no product to show they'll sue Crytek over it, who will then counter-sue and win.

After the whole lawsuit between SK and Epic, if I created graphics engines I would not go anywhere near SK or Dyack.

Why should I bother risking my money getting wasted when IF this games get created I can just buy it anyway with no risk?  No I suppose if EVERYONE takes that approach then nothing gets funded in this way.  This whole concept of paying for the development of the game doesn't jive with me, even within Kickstarter.  It's normal to invest in companies or buy products.  This is like the worst of both.  If I'm going to buy a product I'm going to buy a finished product where I know exactly what I'm going to get (even if a real product results of this, how do I know it will be any good?).  If I'm going to give someone money on vague promises I might as well do a real investment where I can get a share of the profits.  This is just paying for the crops before the seeds have been sown.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 03:44:08 PM »
To be fair, they were justified in suing Epic Games because Epic was deliberately holding back features of Unreal Engine so they could have a competitive advantage.

Ian, this is the thing with Kickstarter too, you are paying money with no guarantee you will even get anything in return. Some developers do offer to give you a free copy if you donate a certain amount, but they don't have to do it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 03:58:40 PM »
I do not retract what I said about Dyack or what his association with this project probably means.
I share your skepticism though I am willing to buy the first episode if and when it becomes available. However, as I said, I will not help fund the project. I have pledged to crowd funded projects before, the most recent being the Cyanide and Happiness cartoons. I just cannot bring myself to do so here. Dyack's involvement is both a blessing and a curse. I'm interested in Shadow of the Eternals because of Eternal Darkness. I question whether this will ever get made on time (hence my reluctance to pledge) because of everything after Eternal Darkness and that includes The Twin Snakes (how Silicon Knights needed more time to develop a remake is beyond me).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 04:01:47 PM by Adrock »

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 05:56:20 PM »
I find it interesting that they already have over 700 backers.  I guess there are people out there and just like to give away money.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 09:55:01 PM »
There are 9 people employed by Silico... er, Precursor Games.

Two of them are community managers, there's a CEO, Chief Creative Officer (noted nutjob Denis Dyack) and a COO. So there's four people actually working on this game. And they want to be done by September 30/14?

If you want to give money to a Canadian who will blow it, PM me for my Paypal address. At least I'm upfront about the fact that I'll be taking the money and running. AGAINST.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 09:56:29 PM »
I'm this close to sending them $5, somebody talk me out of it!

Kairon! Are you gonna support this third party?