Author Topic: My Problem with Pokémon X and Y  (Read 4195 times)

Offline NWR_Josh

• The 23rd Buchan
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
My Problem with Pokémon X and Y
« on: October 16, 2013, 05:21:18 PM »

I actually like the game a lot. Calm down, guys. 

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/35723

Alright, so I have this slight problem with Pokémon X and Y (as the title clearly suggests). When I first started the game I thought I would have to fine-tune my team each time a new Pokémon I loved appeared. This assumption came with another assumption that this would happen in between every gym leader, but I was not expecting so many different choices to smack me in the face the minute I booted up the game. 

The amount of Pokémon readily available makes it hard to choose who I put on my team and continue my journey through Kalos with. Do I structure my team based on the next gym, do I use my favorites, or do I keep two Pokémon on board solely to evolve and expand my Pokédex? What’s a young (okay, I’m twenty four) future Pokémaster to do? 

Put simply, I don’t know, and it’s frustrating as hell. I want to have my starters with me as I always have and yet I see Abra, Ralts, Zubat and Cubone just begging to be put on my team. Their cries wake me up at night. I try to keep three consistent Pokémon around and mix up the other three and I’m miserable. This is what we (I) have always wanted: Pokémon across generations dancing together through the fields just waiting to help me kick butts of both children and the elderly alike (woah, wait, I do that?!) on my journey. How do I break this melancholy and break into a world of sheer delight? 

Help me, Internet. NWR readers, please, I’m begging you. In this region where the amount of Pokémon in each area is equal to or greater than the weight of a Snorlax in pounds, how do I choose whom to put on my team? Help! Where are the Elite Beat Agents when you need them? Cue the music! 

Offline TurdFurgy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: My Problem with Pokémon X and Y
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 05:48:30 PM »
Anybody else having problems with only the ad loading and not the rest of the page? I'm using Chrome on W7.
It takes me 20 times to refresh the page to get anything other than the ad to load.

Offline PogueSquadron

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 05:58:44 PM »
I wonder if you could try to change it up as you go. I haven't played it, but doesn't the Exp Assist allow you to level up other Pokemon in your party? You could theoretically level up Pokemon more quickly that way, which could encourage you to cycle them out as they become too powerful.

Offline Austin Clark

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 06:27:19 PM »
I've also had this problem but sadly I don't think there's a good answer.  I basically gave up trying to cycle out Pokemon because it's just too much for me to worry about.  The only thing I try to stay with is having 3 original Pokemon and 3 newer Pokemon (because I have no idea about them. I haven't played Pokemon since Red!)  Other than that rule I basically just stick to whoever I like at that moment and only change up if someone looks cool or I really want to switch out to take on a certain element,

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 06:49:36 PM »
I find it a littler overwhelming as well but since my last Pokémon game was Ruby I just assumed that this was normal as newer games came out and the total amount of Pokémon increased.  Basically I thought I was just being a newb.

I've noticed that while searching for all the different Pokémon in an area I end up leveling up a lot of my guys, who then become too strong to be effective at capturing the local Pokémon who are now several levels lower.  I find I need to intentionally keep using low level Pokémon to help me catch Pokémon and mixing them with high level ones to wipe out the wild Pokémon I've already caught.  There's a TM that lets you almost but not quite kill a Pokémon that will help but I don't seem to have anyone that can use it yet.  I figure after I have that I won't have to worry and can just power up a team of favourites.

I don't really have a problem with the amount of choice.  The game appears to have a lot to do and a lot of depth and a lot of personal customization.  It's a big game for the same price as other lesser games and is a good value.  Realistically you could always just go through the story without really paying attention to your Pokedex and then go back and pick up the ones you missed later.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 12:45:55 AM »
I find it a littler overwhelming as well but since my last Pokémon game was Ruby I just assumed that this was normal as newer games came out and the total amount of Pokémon increased.  Basically I thought I was just being a newb.

I've noticed that while searching for all the different Pokémon in an area I end up leveling up a lot of my guys, who then become too strong to be effective at capturing the local Pokémon who are now several levels lower.  I find I need to intentionally keep using low level Pokémon to help me catch Pokémon and mixing them with high level ones to wipe out the wild Pokémon I've already caught.  There's a TM that lets you almost but not quite kill a Pokémon that will help but I don't seem to have anyone that can use it yet.  I figure after I have that I won't have to worry and can just power up a team of favourites.

I don't really have a problem with the amount of choice.  The game appears to have a lot to do and a lot of depth and a lot of personal customization.  It's a big game for the same price as other lesser games and is a good value.  Realistically you could always just go through the story without really paying attention to your Pokedex and then go back and pick up the ones you missed later.

A post where you aren't bitching about "the good ol' days"? Holy ****.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 02:35:49 AM »
Picking and choosing is very tough for me so I basically know who I want before I even start the game. Knowing Snubble was just around the corner, along with Skrelp just make me train about 2 or 3 until the guys I really like come along. Though Hawlucha, Pansage, and Doduo surprised me. My heart was only set on my starter, Skrelp and Snubble. Once I crossed paths with the other 3 it was love at first site.

Ian find a Pokemon that uses something sharp like claws or weapons like a stick or bone. Those Pokemon tend to be able to use False Swipe.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 08:08:43 AM »
I'm anticipating the opposite problem - there's two full teams of Pokemon I want to use when my main version gets here, and they're a) all new, and b) all available theoretically by the 2nd badge.

Thankfully, the new Exp Share mechanics make it possible to run two teams at once.

Josh, I'd go Ralts for Fairy-type offense and Cubone if you find a Thick Club, but otherwise let 'em rot.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 09:26:23 AM »
I'm having the same problem. I wanted an Ampharos, but my team got too full before I cold find a Mareep. There's always wild Pokemon who are strong against the upcoming gym, so catching the game is almost setting you up to keep more than a full team. I'll probably just end up getting both versions. :^/
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 11:23:28 AM »
Maybe I'm just picky, but I find myself sticking with a solid team until something better comes along, then I switch out the weakest link and continue on. I'm making my story-based team and then a mono-type team to compete with my friends.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 12:19:25 PM »
Got Beedrill going with the False Swipe now.  Works like a charm except that he's not as high of a level as the rest of my guys so he tends to take a beating while setting up a capture but that will balance out.  Since Torchic is a bonus I figured there was no point picking a fire starter so I went with Froakie and then later grabbed Bulbasaur and those make up my big three, covering the main three types.  Then I've got Beedrill for False Swipe and Pikachu to cover electric type and my sixth slot is rotating between whoever I feel like leveling up with the Exp Share.  Got a Caterpie in there now since he'll level up at a low level.  At each gym I figure I'll grind up a specialized team.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 06:52:51 PM »
Choice is never a problem!