Author Topic: Nintendo Reverses Decision, Allows Evo to Stream Smash Bros. Melee Tournament  (Read 5956 times)

Offline JusDBerube

• King Nintendo Fanboy
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile

Update: Nintendo reverses its position and Smash Bros. will still be streamed.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34872

Update (7/9 8:34 P.M. PDT): Nintendo has officially reversed its position on the preventing the stream of Super Smash Bros., as reported by a notice on SRK:

"I’ve just receive[d] word from Nintendo that the Evo Smash Bros. Melee stream will be allowed to proceed. We will be restoring the original stream and tournament schedules. Obviously this is a huge reli[ef] for all of us here and we’re thrilled that the world will get to see the best Smash players fight it out this weekend. Thanks to everyone online who supported both Evo and Smash."

The original article is below:

Nintendo of America has informed Evo that they do not have permission to stream their upcoming Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament over the Internet.

As a result Evo has changed their live streaming schedule to include different, non-Nintendo, titles.

Evo is a major annual gaming tournament that holds contests in a variety of popular fighting games. Initially Super Smash Bros. Melee wasn’t going to be part of Evo 2013, however Evo held an online vote to help determine what the final game in their 2013 tournament series would be.

Those participating were able to cast their vote by donating money to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, of which Melee won with a total of $94,683. The total amount donated for all games in the voting was $225,744.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Not Allowing Evo to Stream Smash Bros. Melee Tournament
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 09:18:02 PM »
*just shakes his head and walks away*

Geez, Nintendo (especially NoA)...could you just not fail at something simple or obvious for five minutes?  The goodwill of your fans spurred a charity donation drive to get a comparatively ancient game into EVO.  You would only have benefited by the competition's footage being streamed, and blocking this charity-driven event from being broadcast only makes you look like a colossal ****.  You really needed to have the gaming community's best wishes to get the Wii U out of the hole you dug it into, but I guess that was just too much to ask.  Just...*sigh*

I don't care about EVO, but Melee only got into this tournament because people raised money to make it happen. It just feels like NoA is stabbing its very supporters doing crap like this.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 09:31:58 PM »
Dumb. Just really dumb.
Someday, Nintendo will learn that they don't need to "protect" their brands and image to the point of suffocation.

Offline PogueSquadron

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 09:43:11 PM »
This company can be absolutely baffling.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:46:33 PM »
I don't understand this at all. Shutting down random game walkthroughs on YouTube is one thing, but not wanting to have your game streamed online to its biggest fans defies logic.

Nintendo pulls this stunt, meanwhile Xbox One is going to stream directly to Twitch and PS4 is going to stream directly to Ustream. No permission required.

Somebody needs to rethink their policies and bring them more inline with what gamers are gravitating towards out there.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 09:48:51 PM »
Breaking news: Nintendo folds like a 2-7 offsuit.

https://twitter.com/EvilMrWizard/status/354777712080072704
We won! Smash is back baby! #Evo2013 #Hype
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Nintendo pulls this stunt, meanwhile Xbox One is going to stream directly to Twitch and PS4 is going to stream directly to Ustream. No permission required.
I think there were some restrictions involved with streaming on PS4...

But yeah, this is stupid.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 09:51:13 PM »
http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-allowing-for-smash-bros-melee-stream-at-evo-2013-after-all/#.Udy9CPfXGuQ.twitter

Well that was fast.
Shame on them for creating bad press for these hours!
Nice that they turned around.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 09:53:33 PM »
Breaking news: Nintendo folds like a 2-7 offsuit.

https://twitter.com/EvilMrWizard/status/354777712080072704
We won! Smash is back baby! #Evo2013 #Hype

Alright, Wii U-Turn confirmed!  :P:

Offline Fireponcoal

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 10:12:05 PM »
Nintendo, joke of a company.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 10:18:44 PM »
It's not like Iwata and the Board of Directors at NCL made the decision that Evo couldn't be streamed in the first place.  Hell I doubt even Reggie knew about this until now.  This whole mess was started by some people on NOA's legal team making the decision the EVO stream was against the companies policy and not allowing it.  Big companies like Nintendo deal with request for the use of their copyright material all the time and so most decisions get made by the people on said legal teams.  Most of these legal teams are made up of lawyers who don't even know much about gaming themselves, just to deal with any copyright material.

Who ever made the decision for EVO probably didn't realize what the tournament was really about when they turned it down.  Well then this bad press got out and the internet went crazy.  This is what probably got the higher ups at NOA like Reggie to finally learn about what was going on and that's why they changed the decision so quickly because people like Reggie know how big something like EVO can be for publicity.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline StrawHousePig

• a tag
  • Score: -8
    • View Profile
    • Title available upon http request.
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 10:20:06 PM »
Wha? Huh? So is this bullcrap on again or off again? I just #BOOOOed NoA on twitter, don't tell me it was for nothing.

ie., Update your article if this is true plz.

I mean it was a serious boo, dawg. They might be hurt over there.
Old gamers never die, we just run out of quarters.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 10:32:56 PM »
Maybe that's why Nintendo changes its mind.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 10:34:40 PM »
It's not like Iwata and the Board of Directors at NCL made the decision that Evo couldn't be streamed in the first place.  Hell I doubt even Reggie knew about this until now.  This whole mess was started by some people on NOA's legal team making the decision the EVO stream was against the companies policy and not allowing it.  Big companies like Nintendo deal with request for the use of their copyright material all the time and so most decisions get made by the people on said legal teams.  Most of these legal teams are made up of lawyers who don't even know much about gaming themselves, just to deal with any copyright material.

Who ever made the decision for EVO probably didn't realize what the tournament was really about when they turned it down.  Well then this bad press got out and the internet went crazy.  This is what probably got the higher ups at NOA like Reggie to finally learn about what was going on and that's why they changed the decision so quickly because people like Reggie know how big something like EVO can be for publicity.
A PR Team had Months to figure it out.  You can't tell me that a Media company would not understand the value of good PR even if it slightly bend their stances.  That's why the Ironclad NFL Allows Pink.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 11:30:36 PM »
A PR Team had Months to figure it out.  You can't tell me that a Media company would not understand the value of good PR even if it slightly bend their stances.  That's why the Ironclad NFL Allows Pink.

Once again, this decision was probably made by someone in the legal department.  Nintendo themselves were never a part of EVO and isn't officially marketing anything at the event, so their PR and marketing teams would never be part of this decision.  Smash Bros Melee is over 11 years old and isn't sold anymore so it doesn't concern any other part of the company except the legal since the copyright is the only thing in that game they'd still care for.

It goes like this, EVO contacted NOA to see if they could stream Melee.  They ended up talking to someone at legal who made the decision it was against the companies policies and turned down the request.  Once this news broke out and the outrage started, then the PR department would have found out and contacted the higher ups who would then make the decision that an event like EVO is fine to stream Melee at.

Why else do you think NOA's decision was changed so quickly compared to other things they've done to outrage fans that took much longer to fix or were never fixed?  Goes to show the original decision was made by people acting on their own because if this was a company wide decision made by the higher ups like Reggie it would not have been changed that fast.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline fenrir_VII

• View Profile
Yeah, I really think this was just a matter of somebody saying "oh this is streaming, we don't want that"... and then a supervisor going "oh...yeah we don't have a problem with that"

Guessing this was a one-person mistake that has been rectified. No big deal now.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
Regardless of how these decisions about permission are taken (and subsequently reversed), moves like this really do show Nintendo in a very poor light. It makes the company seem detached.
Gouge away.

Offline jorden1506

• View Profile
I don't understand this at all. Shutting down random game walkthroughs on YouTube is one thing, but not wanting to have your game streamed online to its biggest fans defies logic.

Since when did they shut down anything? They just wanted the money from ads.. Because it is their copyright. Sounds logic right?
And before saying anything that policie getting advertisements money has been turned back -.-

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
While it was a crappy decision in the first place, I did notice something when I checked the EVO schedule. Nearly every other game publisher/developer with a game in EVO is sponsoring it (Capcom, WB, even the Divekick guys). Nintendo isn't. True, most of those companies likely got involved to pimp their fighting games (WB!), but if you were a company on the outside looking in, would you be that happy if all these other companies got exposure based on your product?

Cooler heads prevailed, fortunately, and it's being streamed, but from strictly a business standpoint, it's not completely dumb. From every other standpoint? Yes, it is dumb, especially from the PR standpoint people are harping on.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Enner

• View Profile
Quote from: [url=http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/11/4513294/nintendo-were-trying-to-shut-down-evo-not-just-super-smash-bros-melee
http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/11/4513294/nintendo-were-trying-to-shut-down-evo-not-just-super-smash-bros-melee[/url]]Following[/size][/size]news yesterday[/size][/size]that Nintendo of America wanted stop the livestream of[/size][/color]Super Smash Bros. Melee[/font][/size][/size]from this weekend's Evo 2013 fighting game championships, according to EVO co-founder Joey "Mr Wizard" Cuellar in an interview with[/size][/size][/color]OneMoreGameTV[/font][/size], the company had also tried to shut down the event.
[/size]"They were not only trying to shut down the stream, they were trying to shut down the event," Cuellar said, explaining how he received the news while he was at an airport.

Someday, Nintendo will "get it." Until then, it will be painful.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
Quote from: [url=http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/11/4513294/nintendo-were-trying-to-shut-down-evo-not-just-super-smash-bros-melee
http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/11/4513294/nintendo-were-trying-to-shut-down-evo-not-just-super-smash-bros-melee[/url]]Followingnews yesterdaythat Nintendo of America wanted stop the livestream ofSuper Smash Bros. Meleefrom this weekend's Evo 2013 fighting game championships, according to EVO co-founder Joey "Mr Wizard" Cuellar in an interview withOneMoreGameTV, the company had also tried to shut down the event.
"They were not only trying to shut down the stream, they were trying to shut down the event," Cuellar said, explaining how he received the news while he was at an airport.

Someday, Nintendo will "get it." Until then, it will be painful.

I hypothesized on Twitter that Nintendo could try to do that, but I was told that Nintendo couldn't legally do that.  It seems they tried anyway.  *sigh*

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
I think its obvious between this and the letsplay controversy that Nintendo's legal team is going to be kept on a very short leash. they have caused way too much chaos lately....