Author Topic: Sakurai Considering Mewtwo for Next Smash Bros. Games  (Read 9920 times)

Offline JusDBerube

• King Nintendo Fanboy
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Sakurai Considering Mewtwo for Next Smash Bros. Games
« on: June 18, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »

Mewtwo may return in Smash Bros., possibly with his new X and Y form.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34700

Masahiro Sakurai is considering having Mewtwo return in the next Smash Bros. games.

During last week’s Pokémon X and Pokémon Y Developer Roundtable at E3 there was a Q & A session with Tsunekazu Ishihara, President and CEO of the Pokémon Company, and Junichi Masuda, Director at Game Freak. I was fortunate enough to ask the men the following question:

“Can you go into more detail on how Mewtwo changes forms, and would you like this new form to appear in the new Smash Bros.?”

Upon asking this question the audience burst into laughter. Both Tsunekazu Ishihara and Junichi Masuda also had a surprised look on their face and appeared to not know how to safely answer the question. Sakurai was also in the audience and looked as if he were thinking, “Oh man, not this again!” after the question was asked.

After a brief moment of silence, Ishihara and Masuda answered by saying they don’t have anything to announce about the new Pokémon (Mewtwo’s new form) today, and that they can’t speak on its appearance in other games. Sakurai then shouted out, from the audience, “We are thinking about it.”

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Sakurai Considering Mewtwo for Next Smash Bros. Games
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 07:38:21 PM »
Eh, I hope he stays out of it. We had too many Pokemon on the roster already in Brawl between Pikachu, Pichu, Lucario, and the frickin' Pokemon Trainer.  And that's not counting all the Pokemon that can appear from the Pokeball item. I'd rather have an extra spot got to a more obscure character like Shulk from Xenoblade.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 07:40:08 PM »
Eh, I hope he stays out of it. We had too many Pokemon on the roster already in Brawl between Pikachu, Pichu, Lucario, and the frickin' Pokemon Trainer.  And that's not counting all the Pokemon that can appear from the Pokeball item. I'd rather have an extra spot got to a more obscure character like Shulk from Xenoblade.

Or, you know, remove Pichu, Lucario or Pokemon Trainer.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:41:45 PM »

Or just remove Pichu and Lucario, who was only there to promote the latest Pokemon game (much like the rotating non-Marth Fire Emblem spot). I like the Pokemon Trainer.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 08:02:57 PM »

Or just remove Pichu and Lucario, who was only there to promote the latest Pokemon game (much like the rotating non-Marth Fire Emblem spot). I like the Pokemon Trainer.

I do too, I love using squirtle as one of my odd-ball characters that opponents don't expect to get their ass kicked by. Lucario was a decent fighter too but I don't have any sort of emotional connection to him/her/it. If Pokemon is going to be represented as a series, I'd go with Pikachu, Mewtew and Pokemon Trainer over Pichu and Lucario any day. I know I'm not the BIGGEST Pokemon fanatic (only ever played red/blue and the stadium games) but at least those 3 have been long-standing staples of the series instead of feeling like a 'flavor of the week'.

While I understand the cross marketing potential of featuring pokemon from new iterations of the game, to an old timer like me it just feels like adding Toadette or Rosalina from the Mario universe over someone more iconic like Toad or...uh.. ok, never mind ;)
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 08:15:01 PM »
Pichu was removed already, along with Dr. Mario, Roy and Mewtwo for Brawl.  Pichu an't taking up any spots since he no longer exist.  Looks like some of you need to replay Brawl before complaining about who gets cut or stays, or added back.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline PogueSquadron

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 10:26:55 PM »
Why WOULDN'T they put Mewtwo in it? He's freaking Mewtwo.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 10:31:51 PM »
Lucario was THE cool Pokemon when Brawl came out. He had his own movie and everything. With the new film starring Mewtwo, it'd make sense to bring him back.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 10:44:04 PM »
Yeah Broodwars and EasyCure, I think you guys are thinking of Jigglypuff when you say "Pichu," and I don't think Jigglypuff is going anywhere since it's one of the original 12. With the Pokémon Trainer, I wouldn't be surprised if they replace those three Monz with the starters from Black/White, and then Lucario will be replaced by whoever is the flavour of the month from X/Y.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 11:06:40 PM »
i would be suprised if the trainer was tweaked... if they were going for the most recent release they would have gone with the emerald starters if not diamond and pearl. however those 3 they chose are part of the evolution chain of the cover pokemon of the original red, blue and (in japan)green

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 11:16:14 PM »
Yeah, I'd join parts of a chorus and say that Pichu ain't coming back, Lucario will be whatever super mystery Pokemon is in vogue (prolly this Mewtwo thing), and that Pokemon Trainer will regrettably return untouched.

Also, it seems to be assumed that Lucario was not a Mewtwo clone. Granted, I never liked Mewtwo so didn't have a ton of experience with it, but Lucario straight up felt like a Mewtwo reskin to me with some power tweaks, not a unique character. I'd guess the new Mewthree would be the same, with some different special maybe.

And I'm sure Jigglypuff will be back. And good lord, please de-nerf! I lost my Melee main in Brawl, something I never forgave it for.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 11:18:04 PM »
Yeah Broodwars and EasyCure, I think you guys are thinking of Jigglypuff when you say "Pichu," and I don't think Jigglypuff is going anywhere since it's one of the original 12. With the Pokémon Trainer, I wouldn't be surprised if they replace those three Monz with the starters from Black/White, and then Lucario will be replaced by whoever is the flavour of the month from X/Y.

I forgot about Jiggly. I could have sworn Pichu was in the Brawl roster since I remembered him there along with Wind Waker Link, but I guess not.  Still, we have more than enough Pokemon in the roster. Especially with the roster supposedly being shrunk down so the 3DS can handle it, there's no need for MORE Pokemon in it.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 12:44:52 AM »
I still miss Pichu & I'll miss Lucario but yeah, rather they not bring Mewtwo back. I still say they need to add Rival with 3 starters from another Pokemon game that would be a match for Trainer's in an actual Pokemon battle(1st stage grass type, 2nd stage fire, 3rd water).
Mission...complete?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 01:01:23 AM »
I don't think Jigglypuff is going anywhere since it's one of the original 12.
Wasn't Lucas supposed to replace Ness entirely in Melee? Mother 64 getting cancelled saved us from that travesty. On top of that, Mother 3 was still made and we got both Ness and Lucas in Brawl so it's just one of those happy accidents.

If any of the original 12 were to be cut, I'd expect Jigglypuff to be the first and only. I don't think she's going anywhere though.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 01:08:41 AM »
Hmm, I can't modify anymore...
Especially with the roster supposedly being shrunk down so the 3DS can handle it
Wait, did they say that? I only heard both versions would have the same roster. 3DS cards can go up to 8 GB. I'm not saying the game absolutely will use a card that large, just that it can (I believe Revelaitons is currently the largest card or tied for the largest at 4 GB). Melee fit on a 1.5 GB disc and we know the new games won't have an Adventure Mode. I don't see why the roster would have to be shrunk down.

Offline lukas85

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 01:41:47 AM »
i love lucario, he is my main character in brawl, but mewtoo is a better and cool design, although i think the old design is better i'll try the new one too.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 01:50:03 AM »
Pokemon Trainer is an awesome and valid entry.  I could see changing the Pokemon it starts with...though having the original 3 is pretty rad. 

In the next Smash Bros...I hope the one rule is All clone must go. 

So I want to see characters that would be clones completely dropped or given significantly different moves and powers.  I want to play vastly differently. 

So get rid of Pichu and Lucario.  Give us Mewtwo's new form for the plain extra Pokemon character...I say that is cool.

As for other updates.  Luigi better have a completely new move set based off of Luigi's Mansion. 

Toon Link, better be have different items than regular Link, and I am ok with giving them different regular movies.

Fox and Falco...one could go.  But if you want to keep Falco then let them keep the same special moves, but give them completely different regular moves with different animations.

Gannondorf had better not be a clone period.  New moves, new specials, and he better be completely awesome.

I don't want the roster padded with clones.  I want this game to have new characters, revised characters, and just plain awesomeness.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 11:38:09 AM »
Thank you so much for asking this question! JusDBerube, your efforts will not be forgotten!

None of the Pokemon from Brawl need to be cut and Mewtwo deserves to get back in. First off, Mewtwo is more or less seen as the original Pokemon villain, that doesn't mean much in actually getting into Smash, but to fans more villains and females brings diversity.

Mewtwo is a Pokemon icon! He was planned for Smash Bros 64, appeared in Melee, and was also planned for Brawl. He had lots of character data including things like specific victory themes present. He was far along and logic says if Sonic hadn't shown up out of the blue he would have made it in.

There will be a new Pokemon in this game, there is absolutely no doubt about that. So then why not Mewtwo? He is a beloved character of old school and new school players of Pokemon, not only that he can represent Pokemon X and Y with his new form as well.

Except for Pichu who was a last minute addition to literally pad the roster, each Pokemon that has appeared so far is worthy of returning.

Jiggly is a part of the original 12, it's coming back. Jigglypuff is cool and viable when you actually look past the simple looking move set.

Pokemon Trainer with the 3 original starters is such a nice concept for a character and the characters themselves are staples in the Pokemon world. While not impossible I do not see Sakurai cutting them for any current starters from X and Y or anything else in between.

Lucario has been the poster child for Pokemon since Diamond and Pearl. He did not replace Mewtwo in that sense of the word and his moveset is completely unique in animation and utility aside from 1 move, literally 1 move. He earned his place in the Pokemon world and there is no reason to leave him out of Smash 4.

Cutting characters for space is not a very good argument, shows me people just read headlines. The 3DS cards hold 8 GB correct? That is more than the dual layered Brawl actually used. As a matter of fact all 35 characters in Brawl only used 2 Gigs for character data. According to Sakurai, it's not the space that is causing trouble on the 3DS with characters, it is something more on the technical side with characters that transform and/are multiple characters. So I suppose Pokemon Trainer, Ice Climbers and the 2 women are in question.

Mario had 5 reps in Melee, no reason why Pokemon can't have 5 reps as well. It was intended for Brawl after all. I would argue with the popularity of each series, they both deserve it as well.

Rosters for Smash are decided so early, there is almost no way every character isn't already set in stone right now. Of course that is only going by previous history with this game and other fighters. I'm pretty sure Mewtwo is returning.

Thanks again JusD! You gave Mewtwo fans like me something to hang on to until Smash 4's release.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 01:43:15 PM »
I don't mean to double post but I can not locate my modify option. It's just gone...

Here is how Sakurai decides one Pokemon. Considering the latest Pokemon movie and his status in previous Smash titles I think we can all expect Mewtwo again.

From nowgamer.com

“Well first of all, we talk with the Pokemon company. What’s the hot Pokemon? What Pokemon are in the movies right now? And really do a lot of research on that front. For example, X and Y are coming out – of course, we haven’t done any market research because they’re not out yet, but we look at the animated series or movies and anything like that and again, find out which ones are going to be central to any of conversations in Pokemon going forward. But it’s not just that – going back to just what we talked about, what’s unique about them? Where do they fit in with the rest of everything else? What do they have? It’s a combination of those things.”

RomanceDawn

Offline sparkaura

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 02:10:33 PM »
To say lucario was a reskin of mewtwo means you didn't play both characters enough, literally the only thing they had in common was Aura Sphere/Shadow Ball thats it. Lucario's aura mechanics was completely unique and his move set was interesting as it seemed to stem from the street fighter series. In short Lucario was NOT a reskin/clone of mewtwo. I really dont understand why people say that.

Yeah, I'd join parts of a chorus and say that Pichu ain't coming back, Lucario will be whatever super mystery Pokemon is in vogue (prolly this Mewtwo thing), and that Pokemon Trainer will regrettably return untouched.

Also, it seems to be assumed that Lucario was not a Mewtwo clone. Granted, I never liked Mewtwo so didn't have a ton of experience with it, but Lucario straight up felt like a Mewtwo reskin to me with some power tweaks, not a unique character. I'd guess the new Mewthree would be the same, with some different special maybe.

And I'm sure Jigglypuff will be back. And good lord, please de-nerf! I lost my Melee main in Brawl, something I never forgave it for.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 02:32:14 PM »
To say lucario was a reskin of mewtwo means you didn't play both characters enough, literally the only thing they had in common was Aura Sphere/Shadow Ball thats it. Lucario's aura mechanics was completely unique and his move set was interesting as it seemed to stem from the street fighter series. In short Lucario was NOT a reskin/clone of mewtwo. I really dont understand why people say that.

People don't understand because they never even looked at Lucario for more than a second. Even their energy balls function differently. Mewtwo's zigzags while Lucario's fly straight. It's very telling of a persons play time with Smash if they think Mewtwo and Lucario are the same. Look at this video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hJTC0JaWOfE

RomanceDawn

Offline Vahne

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 03:07:33 PM »
Just kick Lucario out and bring back Mewtwo.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 05:33:04 PM »
Can we have Ray from Disaster Day of Crisis instead please?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 06:14:40 PM »
I wonder what character Sakurai is going to bring back from an old game in order to promote a new game in the future, like he did with Pit.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 06:22:21 PM »
Can we have Ray from Disaster Day of Crisis instead please?

Seriously. Him and his boot of steel demand to be in a Smash Bros. game.