Author Topic: My First E3  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Webmalfunction

• PokĂ©mon World Report
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
My First E3
« on: June 20, 2013, 05:36:46 PM »

A lengthy tale in which one staffer recalls the journey of conquest, joy, and hardship that was E3 2013.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/34711

Ever since reading about the event in Nintendo Power in the sixth grade, E3 had always seemed to be an unreachable dream, let alone goal to me. It’s the event where Nintendo shows off the great games that a few people get to play before everyone else, and it’s the event where Nintendo holds press conferences with a presentation style that rivals the announcements themselves. Ironically, both of these exciting ideals stopped existing the very year I came to the convention with Nintendo World Report, but despite this, and despite the five years of amateur media criticism it took to find my way into the expo legitimately, I found my opportunity this year and took it.

Being my second full year on NWR, my youth and lack of money to pay for a week(ish)-long trip from Massachusetts to California made going to E3 impractical in 2012 (I went to PAX East instead that year). Though neither of those roadblocks have changed, being a legal adult for the first time this year and a surplus of mostly-unused graduation money gave me the minuscule, irresponsible chance I needed to say goodbye to money I didn’t have and experience this potentially misguided childhood dream. 

So I did it with the (sort-of) full support of my parents (as much as you could expect, at least). I took out the money needed for the week, dropped the needed cash on a hotel room and a round-trip flight, went through the substantial NWR E3 planning process alongside everyone else, and made myself ready for Sunday, June 9: the beginning of my E3 experience.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: My First E3
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 11:00:13 PM »
The dreams of men I'll never die! Glad you made it.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline NintendoXMusic

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: My First E3
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 12:05:37 AM »
And to think I'm going to be in your shoes in about 2 years, Alex  :)  I can't wait until E3 2015!  ;D