Author Topic: Buying my first HD set, I need advice  (Read 19018 times)

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Buying my first HD set, I need advice
« on: January 05, 2008, 06:31:24 AM »
So my bday is soon approaching and I have promised myself for the past year that I will buy myself an HD set.  

I have chosen to go with LCD for its durability and I have heard nightmarish stories about Plasma so thats one of the things down.  

I decided to go with 720p/1080i just for the pure fact that this will be for my Wii, regular Dvd watching and maybe a 360 that I might pick up later in the year.  I dont really feel I need 1080p for any reason.  I might get a Ps3 in a few years but I feel ok with knowing I have a 720p.  

Next is brand choice, now I have been told to get only a Sharp or Samsung which is ok I suppose but I will explain the rest later.

I went with a 1000 dollar budget, I have saved up this money thoroughly for a year now and for a poor college student I feel spending any more than that would be a waste on my living money.  

Response time, I have been told time and time again that I need a 6ms response time or less for a really good gaming television so that my gaming sessions wont face issues with lag.

Ok so with these general guidelines I set out online to see what sort of deals I could come up with.  My deadline is approaching to buy a television and I have come up with two really good choices.  I was hoping I could show them to you guys and get some feedback about my decisions or if you think I could do better.

Tv #1

LG Black 42" 16:9 5ms 720p LCD HDTV
$999.00

Display
Screen Size    42"
Recommended Resolution    1366 x 768
Aspect Ratio    16:9
Viewing Angle    178°(H) / 178°(V)
Brightness    500 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio    8000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
Response Time    5ms
Connectivity
Input Video Compatibility    PC Input: Analog RGB
ATSC, NTSC, QAM Tuner
720p, 480i/p
HDTV Capability    HDTV Tuner Inside
Connectors    RF In (Antenna/Cable): 1
L/R Audio/Composite Video In: 1
L/R Audio Out: 1
S-Video In: 1
HD Component Video In (Y,Pb,Pr) + L/R Audio: 2
Optical Digital Audio Out: 1
HDMI/HDCP Input: 2
RGB In (D-Sub 15pin) - PC: 1
PC Audio Input: 1
Remote Control In (IR): 1
RS-232c In (Control/Service): 1
USB (Service only)
HDCP Ready    Yes
HDMI    2

Tv # 2

SHARP AQUOS Black / Silver 37" 16:9 LCD HDTV w/ built-in ATSC Tuner Model
$999.00

Display
Screen Size    37"
Recommended Resolution    1366 x 768
Maximum Resolution    1366 x 768
Panel    a-si TFT/PVA LCD
Aspect Ratio    16:9
Display Type    WXGA
Viewing Angle    176°(H) / 176°(V)
Brightness    450 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio    1200:1
Response time: 6ms

Connectivity
Input Video Compatibility    NTSC/ATSC/QAM
HDTV Capability    HDTV Tuner Inside
Connectors    D-Sub, S-Video, Composite, Component, RCA
HDMI    2
Video    S-Video, Composite, Component
D-Sub    1

Now see both are priced ok but Sharp, the supposed better brand has 37 inches and 6ms time while the LG has 42 in and 5 ms time.  Is Lg any good?  Do I have to worry about much lag with the wiimote and an Lcd?  Should I go for either or reconsider altogether?  

in the fashion of Ouendan and EBA

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Buying my first HD set, I need advice
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 10:22:08 AM »
Well I originally decided to buy an LCD TV and ended up returning 2 before I decided on Plasma. Even at 6ms you still visual ghosting especially with sports games, not to mention LCD TVs still have a problem with being brighter. The new Plasma TVs on the other hand are quite good, especially those with burn-in protection such as pixel orbiting. Though even with a Plasma, if you don't keep a static image on the screen for like 8 hrs you shouldn't have a problem. If you want to be safe just burn a free burn-in DVD and let it run 200hrs or so using that DVD, and you should be safe as well.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: Buying my first HD set, I need advice
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 04:21:59 PM »
I was going to suggest DLP but your budget doesn't seem quite there...

My fiancee's family just got a vizio 42 inch for like 920 from Wal-Mart.  They don't play games on it, so I can't really comment on that, but everything else looks really nice.

In my honest opinion, there's a pretty large difference between 37 and 42 inch sets, so of the two you posted, I would go bigger.

Also, I don't think you can go wrong with either Sharp or LG.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 06:48:14 PM »
Get a CRT.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 07:10:05 PM »
Like Pale, I would have suggested a Samsung LED DLP, but those are pretty expensive.. I'm not sure about the ones you've posted though.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 07:26:13 PM »
Mitsubishi HD1000 DLP projector. $900; Packaged with a screen and ceiling mount $1000 after 100 dollar rebate.

1080i - When dealing with 1080 HD, the i and p are minimal differences. Not like the difference between 480i and 480p

HDMI / DVI / VGA / Component / Composite input

Comes with 30 ft HDMI/DVI/VGA/Component cables

160" screen; works best in conjunction with an HDMI reciever.

That's what I got, and I couldn't be happier.

EDIT: My buddy has a 1080p Sharp LCD (looks like the model above) and at first he was content, until he saw my setup. He sank 2500 into his TV, and now he's looking into a 1080p projector which are at least 2 G's. As you can guess, he's well off, but lacks imagination.

I'd be happy to post some pictures of my setup if you would like. I am test running a buddies PS3 so I can display blu-ray, and of course, I got my Wii hooked up. Also, my brother and I download a different movie everyday and watch it with dinner from one of our labbies, so I could show you the picture from that as well.

Oh ya, also got those HD Channels.  
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 02:10:01 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Well I originally decided to buy an LCD TV and ended up returning 2 before I decided on Plasma. Even at 6ms you still visual ghosting especially with sports games, not to mention LCD TVs still have a problem with being brighter. The new Plasma TVs on the other hand are quite good, especially those with burn-in protection such as pixel orbiting. Though even with a Plasma, if you don't keep a static image on the screen for like 8 hrs you shouldn't have a problem. If you want to be safe just burn a free burn-in DVD and let it run 200hrs or so using that DVD, and you should be safe as well.

Funny because any thread I read online that was about LCD vs Plasma almost all of them agreed that Plasma was better than LCD however whenever I saw a thread about gaming televisions everyone else was saying LCD all the way hands down.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 02:14:59 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
I was going to suggest DLP but your budget doesn't seem quite there...

My fiancee's family just got a vizio 42 inch for like 920 from Wal-Mart.  They don't play games on it, so I can't really comment on that, but everything else looks really nice.

In my honest opinion, there's a pretty large difference between 37 and 42 inch sets, so of the two you posted, I would go bigger.

Also, I don't think you can go wrong with either Sharp or LG.

42 is very tempting considering at the beginning of last year a 1000 dollar budget would only get me a 32 inch screen.  

Yea I figured to go with the Sharp since its one of the best brands out there in LCD technology.  But the Lg just seems like a better deal and I have been just getting mixed reactions from people online in articles and forums.  Some say LG is a generic brand company who makes mediocre prices.  Some say LG makes cheap televisions because they are trying to break into the marketplace and don't have credibility like Sharp or Sony.  Customers that reviewed LG televisions after buying them seem to be quite happy with their purchases.  Perhaps it will just end up a trial and error sort of thing.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 02:19:29 AM »

Originally posted by: KashogiStogi
Mitsubishi HD1000 DLP projector. $900; Packaged with a screen and ceiling mount $1000 after 100 dollar rebate.

1080i - When dealing with 1080 HD, the i and p are minimal differences. Not like the difference between 480i and 480p

HDMI / DVI / VGA / Component / Composite input

Comes with 30 ft HDMI/DVI/VGA/Component cables

160" screen; works best in conjunction with an HDMI reciever.

That's what I got, and I couldn't be happier.

EDIT: My buddy has a 1080p Sharp LCD (looks like the model above) and at first he was content, until he saw my setup. He sank 2500 into his TV, and now he's looking into a 1080p projector which are at least 2 G's. As you can guess, he's well off, but lacks imagination.

I'd be happy to post some pictures of my setup if you would like. I am test running a buddies PS3 so I can display blu-ray, and of course, I got my Wii hooked up. Also, my brother and I download a different movie everyday and watch it with dinner from one of our labbies, so I could show you the picture from that as well.

Oh ya, also got those HD Channels.

Well I am not sure if this would work well at all because:

#1.  My apt is pretty small the projector would probably be 10 ft away at best
#2.  I am not sure if I would be able to mount the screen and projector

This setup seems awesome but perhaps more suited for when I get my own house.

I should also mention that this tv is for my apartment I live in right now while I go to school for video game art and design.  The overall goal is to move closer to the industry or move somewhere after college so this thing should be fairly easy to travel/move with and be less permanent.  I hear Plasma is bad to move around because of the tech inside it.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 06:16:49 AM »
Oh snap...

10ft away is not going to cut it. My living room is about 14 1/2 feet wide and it still doesn't fill my 160" screen. It's probably around a 100" though.

However, for traveling purposes, you CAN'T beat the portability of a projector.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 06:21:31 AM »
I have an LG and love it, for what it's worth...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline WalkingTheCow

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 09:25:17 AM »
The LG sounds great.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 10:38:12 AM »
So far it seems like the LG is the way to go ~!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 12:30:30 PM »

Originally posted by: darkheart

Funny because any thread I read online that was about LCD vs Plasma almost all of them agreed that Plasma was better than LCD however whenever I saw a thread about gaming televisions everyone else was saying LCD all the way hands down.

Well if you are budgeting a 1000 dollar TV I don't see how it can be, because unless you have a short response time you will more than likely see motion blur in more faster moving games. The burn-in issue is pretty much taken care of, and they have similar response times to CRT. I read many of those same fears and guess what? My TV has been PERFECT for gaming and I have had NO burn-in issues and my TV was only 1300 when I got it a year ago. But at least get your TV from a retail store so if you have problems with refresh rate you can exchange it. Also test it out with faster paced games like many of the sports games out there.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 02:34:14 AM »
GP, do you watch pillar box when you are watching normal TV? or do you stretch it.

I don't see how these "burn in techniques" could work on large bars on either side and I REFUSE to watch stuff all stretched out.

PS:  My 61 inch DLP was 1900 bucks.  Much better bargain IMO.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 02:38:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
GP, do you watch pillar box when you are watching normal TV? or do you stretch it.

I don't see how these "burn in techniques" could work on large bars on either side and I REFUSE to watch stuff all stretched out.

PS:  My 61 inch DLP was 1900 bucks.  Much better bargain IMO.

I always stretch it out and notice no real visual degradation. Even if you wish to watch it pillar size most new plasma's utilize colors (such as grey) to limit if not eliminate burn-in. This is especially true if you do the 200+ hour burn-in period on the new plasmas. Heck from what I understand once the plasma reaches 1000+ hrs the TV is basically like a CRT when it comes to burn-in because the gases are not burning nearly as bright.

Offline Cap

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 06:21:02 PM »
i bought an lg plasma awhile ago and am very happy with it. its very simalar to the lcd(besides being a plasma) you were looking at, but with a higher contrast ratio. i paid $1150cnd.

http://ca.lge.com/en/products/model/detail/plasmatv_42pc5d.jhtml#

it has given me no problems at all for games.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 05:28:57 AM »
Question for everyone. . . .

Did you buy your tv online?

Is it worth it to buy online?

I really want to buy this television but Neweggs warranty pretty much is, I can refuse to sign for the box if its damaged, but once I open the box if anything is wrong with the television I have to use the manufacturer warranty.  I know if I went to a retail store this would not be the issue at all but these deals are WAY better than I find in the store.  Is it worth the risk?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 05:43:29 AM »
I recommend you get it from a store, that way if for whatever reason you are unhappy you can return it pretty easily and get another TV.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 12:39:42 PM »
So I went to Frys electronics today and was just about to buy an LCD when my roomie Louis mentions this beautiful Samsung 42 inch Plasma on sale for 999.99.  I was impressed with its stats and the picture that I bought it on the spot.  On the drive home I asked Louis what drew him to the Plasma and he mentioned that I had left this thread open on my Pc, read it and found Golden's impressions of her own to be quite encouraging.  So damn you golden for weazling your way into my real life~!  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 04:42:24 PM »
Well I hope you enjoy, if you want I can try to dig up the Burn-in software I used. Like I said although it isn't life threatening, it is safe to burn your TV in for 200hrs before playing anything with a stagnant image. I used free Burn-in software and let it run for 200 hrs, and as I said I've had NO PROBLEM especially when combined with pixel orbiting. The best advice I can give is just try not to leave a frozen image on the screen for hours on end, you should be more than fine. Heck I use mine all the time for the Wii internet browser and have had ZERO burn-in (Had my TV for about a year). BTW I heard Panasonic has great screens for Plasmas so you made a great choice there. Can I ask what features and model it is?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 04:47:31 PM »
In the mean time this is a helpful guide Burn-in

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 07:52:23 PM »
Hey I'm Darkheart's roomie making a post as him, hopefully he won't mind.  Or maybe he will and he'll kill me in the morning.  Eep.

Anyways I saw this open on his browser, he's sleeping atm, and I figure I can answer those questions.
Model:  Samsung HP-T4624
Features:  I think all of its specs are here.  It's a newer model, so of note are a 60,000 hour lifespan and a few built-in tools to prevent burn-in reduction (

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=televisions&type=televisions&subtype=plasmatv&model_cd=HPT4264X/XAA

It's a really nice TV, vibrant colors.. though there's so many ways to change them, it's hard to find the most preferred setting!  Definitely not a bad thing.

The only concern I can think of with this TV is that it burns very hot.  This apartment already has problems generating too much heat.  I think it could be a problem in the summer, but whatever, it's worth it.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 08:08:42 PM »
Yeah my plasma puts out quite a bit of heat, but I love it. Like I said if anything keep the TV on for 200hrs or so before playing anything with a static image. While it is unlikely it is still possible to get some burn-in during that period (which is why most recommend using burn-in software or keeping it on a channel without static logos. The reason why is because the gases burn brightest during that period. After that point though you should be safe. Also turn on pixel orbiting (It appears that TV may have it), and keep the brightness along with contrast at or below 50, at least to start.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 02:07:52 AM »

Yeah my plasma puts out quite a bit of heat, but I love it. Like I said if anything keep the TV on for 200hrs or so before playing anything with a static image. While it is unlikely it is still possible to get some burn-in during that period (which is why most recommend using burn-in software or keeping it on a channel without static logos. The reason why is because the gases burn brightest during that period. After that point though you should be safe. Also turn on pixel orbiting (It appears that TV may have it), and keep the brightness along with contrast at or below 50, at least to start.

Do you mean just run the television for 200 hours not playing a game or movie?