Author Topic: Wii Online: Get your friend codes ready  (Read 13058 times)

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Wii Online: Get your friend codes ready
« on: May 11, 2006, 12:16:31 PM »
UGH!!!

A huge disappointment.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE: Wii Online: Get your friend codes ready
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 12:21:06 PM »
http://www.planetgamecube.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=16057

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?sid=6150506&pid=928518

"The next questioner raised a major issue, asking if Super Smash Bros. Brawl would support the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Sakurai said his team would try to take the game online, but he thinks it would be a hard to make four-player online work."
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline OverHeat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 12:26:34 PM »
As a gamer, I agree. As a parent, I want you to STFU. Xbox Live is SOOO much better! There friend system is SO much more convenient! It was especially convenient for that 14 year old kid that got molested over a friendship he made on Live too, huh? I really dont mind Nintendo's idea of friend codes. What I DO mind, even as a parent, is needing to add the SAME friends code just because I bought a new game. If I tell my kid that its ok for them to play with XXX gamer in say, SSB, why would I suddenly change my mind for Animal Crossing? The major thing I am hoping for here is a reduction to just ONE friend code.
Do, or do not. There is no try.

Offline OverHeat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 12:29:30 PM »
Oh! Incase some of you didnt know what I was talking about:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/news.php?aid=13916

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
RE:Wii Online: Get your friend codes ready
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 12:36:25 PM »

Originally posted by: Rhoq
UGH!!!

A huge disappointment.

It's a fair answer for a simple question. We all know there will be friend-codes, but they didn't ask how it will be implemented, so basically we don't know if they will implement the same friend-code system from DS for Wii.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 12:39:27 PM »
at age 14 wouldnt that kid have been taught to know better? And oh the guy sent him a video? And then they met? and then he got molested? No, the boy is homosexual, the man is homosexual. The boy was looking for sex with a man. He got it. The man was looking for sex with anyone because he's a pervert. If the boy wasn't looking. He wouldnt have got squat.

thank you. I'm a 22 year old virgin.  

Offline OverHeat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 12:43:51 PM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
at age 14 wouldnt that kid have been taught to know better? And oh the guy sent him a video? And then they met? and then he got molested? No, the boy is homosexual, the man is homosexual. The boy was looking for sex with a man. He got it. The man was looking for sex with anyone because he's a pervert. If the boy wasn't looking. He wouldnt have got squat.

Ah. thank you for the explanation. Now I understand that it is all ok. Understnd, they first met on Live, and then began communicating with eachother over the internet. At least, thats how every story of this little terror chapter is told. And if he should have "known better" then why is it illegal to have sex with a minor? Because the are assumed to NOT KNOW ANY BETTER. Seems faily obvious, dont you think? If he really did know better, then he would have stopped that before it started, but he didnt. So then, I bring us to this hypothesis:  He DID NOT know any better.

Offline Garnee

• Zig.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 12:48:58 PM »

There you have it folks.  ThePerm is a virgin.
Yeah, I do play mafia games.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 01:01:35 PM »
and iv been online since i was 8..back in the bbs days....

Offline Frozen Atlantic

• Spiritually Direct
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 01:04:07 PM »
Friend codes are rubbish. Monitor what your kid does online. Period.

But I'll put up with if I get VoIP with my Wii.
smash brothers : 5069-3792-8710

wii: 2034-1057-8595-3928

if you send me a PM, I'll add you more quickly

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 01:06:05 PM »
Goddamn it.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 01:11:04 PM »
A small price to pay for free online gaming.  One would be better, but I'll survive.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 01:15:31 PM »
Friend codes are fail. There goes the idea of tactical shooters on the Wii.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 01:19:03 PM »
Kids meeting with an adult they met online first before the parents is just stupid.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 01:22:19 PM »
Kind of a dumb move.  Unless it's one friend code forever, no matter what game it is.

About the kid who got 'molested'.  I'm getting tired of parents trying to formulate this protective bubble where their kids won't see anything that could potentially harm them, i.e. every damn thing  and person in the world.   When the kid turns out to be a cloistered moron with no social skills, and is tant amount to a serial killer's m.o., they wonder why.   If it wasn't this kid on Live, it would have been another kid.  Could be through help wanted ads, or phone hotlines.  It doesn't matter-the system used by the pedophiles isn't at fault, the pedophile is.  End of story.    
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 01:24:29 PM »

Originally posted by: Garnee

There you have it folks.  ThePerm is a virgin.

Hey, lets have a contest to see who's the oldest virgin here. I think I've got you guys beat

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 01:37:37 PM »

Originally posted by: OverHeat

Ah. thank you for the explanation. Now I understand that it is all ok. Understnd, they first met on Live, and then began communicating with eachother over the internet. At least, thats how every story of this little terror chapter is told. And if he should have "known better" then why is it illegal to have sex with a minor? Because the are assumed to NOT KNOW ANY BETTER. Seems faily obvious, dont you think? If he really did know better, then he would have stopped that before it started, but he didnt. So then, I bring us to this hypothesis:  He DID NOT know any better.

"its illegal" isn't any kind of proof. I have to side with ThePerm here, at least to some extent (us virgins gotta stick together). A person who goes to bed the night before their 18th birthday doesn't wake up instantly better able to judge who to have sex with. Moreover, the age varies from state to state: this boy would've been above the legal age of consent in Idaho. If he was living in Idaho instead of wherever, would he be presumed to know better?

A 14 year old really ought to know better than to meet strange men they talked to over the internet. You ought to assume that same aged person is old enough to know not to get into a strangers car, etc. My parents were telling me from the time I was 6 "don't talk to strangers"... don't you tell your kids that? There's a point at which you have to trust that your child has been taught to make the right decisions in these situations and act with a fair amount of prudence.

Clearly that doesn't happen to every child... but I don't think every parent of a 14 year old should keep his kid off of Xbox Live "just in case". And I'm inclined to agree with ThePerm. This kid was 14... not 4... he may have made a big mistake (and figured it out too late), but he didn't go into a situation like this blind, unless he was a retard or something.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 01:47:36 PM »
Friend codes = suck bad

Universal friends list requiring no code keeping = simple
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 03:03:41 PM »
I think we had to expect this.  Yeah friend codes suck but we get free online.  Yeah Xbox Live is much better but it costs MONEY.

A basic matchmaking program would still be nice but if it's a cost issue I'll let it slide.  Though I honestly think it's more Nintendo's inexperience with online gaming shining through.  Sony and MS got online a generation early and it shows.  Nintendo still looks like they're learning.  It also could be Nintendo's usual "we have to do things differently than the competition even if their idea is great" routine.

I'm more pissed that wireless is the standard and I have to pay extra to use a wired connection.  That's like having a console come with HD cables and having the normal A/V cables cost extra.

Offline Cap

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 03:08:36 PM »
there has to be some better way for nintendo to implement some kind of security for minors then these stupid friend codes. i understand this is going to be a free service, but nintendo obviously needs to spend some more time on it. i've yet to go online with my ds becouse i dont know anyone else with a ds, and i have no desire to play against someone that nintendo randomly picks for me (at least thats the way i understand that it works).

i also have to agree that parents should monitor what their kids are doing online.

Offline Aussiedude

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2006, 03:16:22 PM »
Three words: THIS IS BULLSHIT
Will Wii Win?  

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2006, 03:51:57 PM »

there has to be some better way for nintendo to implement some kind of security for minors then these stupid friend codes. i understand this is going to be a free service, but nintendo obviously needs to spend some more time on it. i've yet to go online with my ds becouse i dont know anyone else with a ds, and i have no desire to play against someone that nintendo randomly picks for me (at least thats the way i understand that it works).

When a person wants to join the Nintendo online community, Ninty should require a credit card in that persons name as proof of age.  If they don't have a card, they have to use friend codes until they do.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2006, 03:58:49 PM »
That's an interesting idea.

Frankly, I don't care either way.  I'm only interested in playing online with friends, not clans or anonymous people or any of that crap.
Then again, I don't know how the system works.  I've never tried it on DS.

We'll see.  I'm not concerned, I'm not really into online gaming.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2006, 04:50:22 PM »
As long as they dump gamespy, I have no issues.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2006, 07:51:52 PM »
I would prefer to enter the code just once, but bleh, it's free, so I wont complain
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD