Author Topic: This boards are TOO strict!  (Read 8730 times)

Offline pimple

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
This boards are TOO strict!
« on: April 28, 2003, 01:35:29 PM »
No wonder there's only about 50 active users here these days....
Of course, I'm not saying the thousands of people that came every day when the boards were hosted by EZBoards came because the rules weren't strict, but this has become pathetic!
Why do you think Gamefaqs is so successfull (other than the faq that it's not Nintendo only)?
For one thing, there's more variety. Why can't I just start a Mario based thread on the Gamecube board?

Why so many different boards anyways?
If I'm looking for something specific, I need to go to every single board to find it, and since Murphy's law says it'll be on the last one I look, it ends up taking a loooong time to find it. And after I finally find it, it usually gets deleted/locked up anyways.

So now we can't start polls...?
I guess there really isn't any reasons for keeping an account here any more.
Anyways, post your thoughts before someone makes this topic disapper...

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 04:01:39 PM »
I'm not gonna yab on about how cool this board is.
It is pretty strict, but I'm used to it. I think it's better than than the old forums at least. More neat, more clean. The mods do a good job, that's not to say the least of some other boards that might allow constant gang wars and swearing.

It IS a Gamecube board, and there are lots of categories for you to chat in. How specific do you want? If you wanna talk about Gamecube, then goto the Gamecube board. If you wanna talk Xbox or PS2, go to the Other Systems board. If you wanna talk about how your Granny made you the nicest sweater in existence, go to the General Chat board, and watch as your dignity is dimished as quick as lightning strikes.
Give us an example of what you wanna talk about. Then we'll see how specific you can get.

I think the best example of the mods work was this, courtesy of Mario and Bloodworth:

"Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by: Jirachi
your such as little pussy. Go suck on Mario's *ick. Acctually suck you your own prick Mario.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goodbye.

We'll see if this thread can return to serious discussion with him out of the way."

Good work there fellas. And kudos to you Mario, you kicked his ass.  
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 04:19:33 PM »
This board's too strict? And my chairs tooooo soft.

GameFAQs is so successful because it's made up of eight year olds repeating the same topics over and over again, and they can make threads about who's got a better ass in the DOA games.

And do you really find all these sub-sections confusing?
You can't start a Mario thread in the GC section because there's a seperate section. It makes sense.

Think about it, if there was only the GC section, we'd have hundreds of Mario/Zelda/Animal Crossing threads slammed into it, along with the actual GC discussion and hardware and so on.

That would result in confusion to the max. A thread wouldn't last 5 seconds without being bumped down by yet another Mario Sunshine/Animal Crossing thread..

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 04:20:42 PM »
kudos to the mods, i cant stress that enough.

Offline Locke Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2003, 04:28:41 PM »
Yeah I know, if it wasn't for Bloodworth and Rick working on the forums this place would be a mess.  There would be like 4 different threads on the same subject, and this place wouldn't be as  clean as it is now.  Thanks mods.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2003, 05:58:54 PM »
"GameFAQs is so successful because it's made up of eight year olds repeating the same topics over and over again, and they can make threads about who's got a better ass in the DOA games."

I think Infernal summed up my thoughts pretty well. If you want to see an unkempt board, look at IGN- I spent 2 years there and when I made the move here it was like a breath of fresh air. Really you'll find that you'll never EVER have a problem with the mods if you just don't do anything stupid. Except Rick- he's a hardass.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2003, 08:42:37 PM »
ph33r teh rickz0r.
nah hes a cool guy

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2003, 09:15:19 PM »
WHat are you crapping on about Gamefaq's success for? Are you saying that they are lenient or something?

Fucking hell, they wont even let you swear on gamefaqs, you speak your mind and your banned. They have this HUGE list of people who've been banned. And the thing is, the banned list only shows people that have been banned within the last two days. And it's HUGE!
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2003, 09:47:02 PM »
How the hell did you manage to post 'F*cking' RABicle?

Glitches are fun =P

Offline joeyjojo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2003, 12:28:23 AM »
when i first joined this forum i was thinking, 'whoa man, "THIS BOARDS ARE TOO STRICT!" ' just like you.
but now i know better. i dont think think theres been a single occasion when ive really needed to break any of the rules. im glad that people arent allowed to get away with making constant personal attacks on people because of a mere difference of opinion.
   ive never been part of a forum before but i have discovered that polls are the lowest form of thread known to man. knowing that they are forbidden helps me sleep well at night. its also a reason for me to keep my account here! my eyes shall never be tainted by their foul presence.
   fortunately ive never been able to apply murfys law to finding a topic that im after. maybe its just luck!
GO RICK! GO THAT OTHER GUY! GO BOARDS!
"OMG! I gotz teh powerup guys!"
-rick "powerup" powers

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2003, 01:43:47 AM »
Same with me. At first I thought the rules were too strict, but I got used to them and it keeps the forum under command.

If you have no problem following the rules here, you will have no problem on any other forums.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2003, 02:32:12 AM »
You guys noticed that everyone here is Aussie? Other than pimple, Locke cole and mouse clicker of course, it's all the usual Australian thread psoters. Haha. Just noticed.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2003, 02:55:55 AM »
I did too, but didn't bother to mentioned it...smartass!

Offline Praxius

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2003, 05:57:28 AM »
I don't currently have the time to read all of this thread, but from what I have experienced in these forums........ Strict?....... Too Strict???  Man, I don't know about you, but I have been to many Forums throughout the years (PlanetHalfLife/Unreal/Fortress/SoldierofFortune/etc.) and many more, and if you want to see strict Forums, look around, because this isn't one that is too Strict.

It has rules, yes, but simple rules that are not hard to follow in order to still enjoy the information that is here. These rules are here and if they do seem strict to you, it is because There are a lot of idiots who find it ammusing to be jackarse's in forums and screw everything up for everyone, and these Rules help keep them at bay, and stop things before they get out of hand.

I have seen what happen's to Slack Forums and they turn into crap and just popping on is a waste of your life, because there is nothing worthwhile to read, except things that are similar to something you would find on Jerry Springer.

Want an example? "Planetcounterstrike"

Now I don't know if they cleaned up the place recently, but for the last year or so it has been active, it has been nothig but a sheeite-hole.

And besides, not to be an ass, but if you don't like it, leave. Online Forums.... especially ones that are free to view, are not a Democracy, and you can complain all you want, but it is up to the moderators to actually do something about it.

(BTW: I am not picking on anyone in paticular, just speaking my mind)
*Exit The Prax*

Offline Praxius

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2003, 05:58:29 AM »
Oh, BTW, I'm from Cananda, actually.
*Exit The Prax*

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2003, 06:16:29 AM »
And this thread is in the wrong section, yeah!

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2003, 07:29:56 AM »
First, we don't really care if the Forums are "successful" or not.  It's an outlet for people to talk, just like the hundreds of others out there.  If you like GameFAQs, great, go post there.  We don't change our rules to cater to anyone.

That said, the rules here are the EXACT same rules as we had at ezBoards.  Seemed to work well enough there, didn't it?
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2003, 12:00:59 PM »
just gotta say.  i havent been to any other forums.  this was my first, i i'm stickin with it.  i love it here.  first, i went the PGC for the reveiws, then preveiws and immperessions, then news, editiorials, mailbag (which should happen more often), and finnally forums.  Now, i'm spending all my time on the forums, and and can't get off.  i'm new here, so i don't know the old forums, but i like the new ones just fine.  and about the mail bag thing, i know you guys are busy and mailbags aren't really your biggest concern, and this is my favorite website for videogame news, so, you know, never mind the mailbag thing.  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Locke Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2003, 12:08:49 PM »

Originally posted by: RABicle
WHat are you crapping on about Gamefaq's success for? Are you saying that they are lenient or something?

Fucking hell, they wont even let you swear on gamefaqs, you speak your mind and your banned. They have this HUGE list of people who've been banned. And the thing is, the banned list only shows people that have been banned within the last two days. And it's HUGE!

Holy crap, how'd the mods let you get away with that???  Anyways thats a good arguement, I used to be a member of Gamefaqs but I just didn't like it.  Wasn't the same as this place, half of the freaking posts are already on another thread and the mods don't do anything about it.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2003, 01:19:38 PM »
Boards need a sense of humor.

animemusicvideos.org phorums are full of humor.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2003, 01:55:55 PM »
"Boards need a sense of humor."

Well humour has to do with who's posting on the site more than the forum rules so really PGC can't do anything about that.  There have been times where this forum has been really funny.  It just depends on who's posting and what topics they're posting on.

I don't find the forum rules too strict.  If anything other forums are too slack.  The rules here are strict enough that you can still have fun but you can also have some valid discussions.  As a result the PGC forum is more like a discussion with a group of friends while the traditional "total anarchy" style of forum is like talking among strangers.  There's a better community feel here without a bunch of idiots yelling "zelda! more like c3lda*" and posting threads on such inciteful topics as "which DOA girl would you like to f*ck?"

*c.e.l.d.a is apparently a forbidden word on this forum. Huh?

Offline Praxius

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2003, 02:12:13 PM »
Last time I checked, Humour is still allowed
*Exit The Prax*

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2003, 02:29:58 PM »
The day humor gets banned is the day I am totally f*cked.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2003, 03:00:17 PM »

Originally posted by: manunited4eva22
The day humor gets banned is the day I am totally f*cked.

Totally fu<ked you say?

Watch that you don't develop a nasty rash from being totally fu<ked =)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2003, 08:41:34 PM »
these boards arent too strict..thats whiney bitch talk....you can pretty much say whatever the fuck you want unless its anti-religious, racist, homophobic, blah blah blah. Basically if your gonna be talking anything about shit you'd better know your shit

also bloodworth and Rick are some of the most intelligent peopel iv ever talked to..well mostly Rick...ass kissing aside...id say im speaking truth

Rabicle. I am pleased in this day that i am not the only one who realises that there is no spoon. and damnit you have to refesh every time you hit the damn edit button....god knows how many times i edited this small ass post just to fix the spelling of the word strict while adding cool messages.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post