Author Topic: Nintendo World Report is Hiring!  (Read 28433 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo World Report is Hiring Writers and Editors
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 12:54:50 PM »
Hmm, what's holding me back is a lack of writing experience (outside of school work of coarse). It would be cool to be a staff writer though.

Hey, you gotta start somewhere, you know? And besides, if you've survived the NWR forums, you've probably got some chops with a keyboard. &P

Kairon, you should apply for a staff position.
Kairon's still on the staff list, so...
?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 04:09:23 PM »
Ok, another question:  Is there any kind of deadline to submit your application, or are you just accepting until you find a suitable pool of candidates?

More the latter, but if you send them in sooner, you're likely to get more consideration.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 10:06:06 PM »
I've considered writing for the site in the past, but to be honest I don't think this site would be a good fit.  Nintendo's burned so many bridges with me this generation that it's hard for me to objectively review anything they put out without an underlying layer of cynicism.  Besides, I have trouble condensing my thoughts into something relatively short and pithy.  Maybe I'll apply to Pixlbit the next time they are hiring.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 12:00:23 AM »
I have actually enjoyed my time when I wrote for NWR.  Regarding about writing for a Nintendo centric and multiplatform site I didn't see any difference besides reviewing a potentially larger pool of games. 
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline SilverQuilava

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 10:38:35 AM »
I'm probably the least qualified. I live in Florida, im 16, I don't get any games except for christmas and my birthday (which is the 20th of this month actually), and I don't go anywhere at all. I've only been out of Florida two times. It'd be incredible to somehow contribute to NWR, but I don't know what that would be...
First, not getting games is absolutely not an impediment. You can receive review copies from us. Second, news writing usually doesn't require any game playing.
really? well, still, I'm not really sure what I could contribute to NWR, aside from maybe writing reviews on games or something... I do have good writing skills though, I have a few ideas for a novel or two which I should start on. But, after all, NWR is where I get MY news from. If there is something you'd need me to do, I'd happily do it for free  :) :D

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 12:50:55 PM »
I'm assuming that Neal has already heard about my approaching application as a Staff Writer. I'm 16 and my mid-winter break starts on Thursday, so I will be completing my application then and I hope to be writing for the site soon.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline MysticYumDrop

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 01:08:26 PM »
This is an great opportunity.  I found out about NWR a year or so ago, and I really have been silent until now.  I mainly went to NWR for news and a little forum browsing.

I sent in an application and I cannot wait to hear back.  I applied for Previews Editor.  And I made an account here to get a bit acquainted with the people here.
My Status:  Currently, I cannot wait for the 3DS and Spring Break next month.  They both start the same day!

Offline SupaKirb

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011, 06:23:18 PM »
Oh My God! This is so awesome! Oh wow, I wish I could do this. I love video games but I don't think I am knowledgeable enough to actually be considered an authority in the field. That, and I always have some sort of error in my writing, that I only catch after the fact. But holy crap, do I wish I could be a part of this place... (Also the getting games early and E3 perk is gamer bait.....)

Offline happyastoria

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 06:48:39 PM »
Two English degrees and zero experience!!! Yay for me!!! :-[

Offline SilverQuilava

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011, 07:50:58 PM »
I didn't even know you could get games early. I don't really care that much though.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 01:37:46 AM »
That, and I always have some sort of error in my writing, that I only catch after the fact.

Actually, one of the best things that happened to me in the NWR process was being edited and red-lined by some great and wonderful writers who cared about me bringing my writing quality up. Yeah... then someone had the bright idea to make ME an editor for awhile... I imagine that's what skydiving for the first time must feel like...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2011, 04:31:11 AM »
I have submitted my application, and will now proceed to undermine my confidence in my own writing.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline King Bowser Koopa

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2011, 11:06:45 AM »
I went ahead and wrote a short preview article as well. Everything's attached and sent off, hope you enjoy reading it!
Andrew Brown - NWR Australia Correspondent

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2011, 01:13:23 PM »
I'm a better writer then I was when I joined, but even now with my deluxe new title ("Senior Editor", "Mondo Editor", "Box Hunter") I still have mistakes. It's why we edit.

If you have some reservations about your writing sample reading it out loud tends to help. When you read, say, and hear it you engage your brain more then just reading it. It can also help to let it "age" for a day. If you read it right after you wrote it you're more likely to read what you thought you wrote versus what you actually did.

I've actually used text to speech programs to read things I wrote back to me. The robotic voice hides nothing. The places where flow dies stand out quite plainly, and it's very easy to flip the text and have it reread.

[inter-staff trolling follows]
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2011, 01:18:08 PM »
I'm a better writer then I was when I joined, but even now with my deluxe new title ("Senior Editor", "Mondo Editor", "Box Hunter") I still have mistakes. It's why we edit.
I point this out only because I've seen you do it 4-5 times in the past week. Also, to prove your point.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 04:57:28 PM »
I've actually used text to speech programs to read things I wrote back to me. The robotic voice hides nothing. The places where flow dies stand out quite plainly, and it's very easy to flip the text and have it reread.

Wow, that's a great idea! I'm gonna start doing that.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Dannymcl

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 12:26:58 PM »
I'd love to work for the team but then I suppose being under 18 does have its drawbacks, if its all the same to you though send me a game, I'll review it, and see what you think, you have got my e-mail address so start using it!
Danny "The Scotsman" McL

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 06:11:10 PM »
I'd love to work for the team but then I suppose being under 18 does have its drawbacks, if its all the same to you though send me a game, I'll review it, and see what you think, you have got my e-mail address so start using it!

They're not going to just send you a game to test your writing skills, you know that right?
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline Dannymcl

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2011, 03:51:36 PM »
Well yeah, I know that but there's always hope; or not in this case. It'd still be pretty cool to work for NWR though.
Danny "The Scotsman" McL

Offline Bboy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2011, 09:15:59 PM »
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you are still looking, because I was hoping to apply but this past week just happened to be a really bad time for me.

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2011, 10:19:43 PM »
Absolutely, Bboy!
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2011, 01:43:27 PM »
We'll, I submitted an application, but not sure about my chances given my limited tenure here and the seemingly high demand for these positions.

I'm curious as to what everyone chose for their sample review though.  Maybe I'll post mine in the proper forum section later if i'm not chosen.

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2011, 12:24:26 AM »
This post has been up for a while... are you guys still looking for writers and editors? If so, I'd be interested... but I'm doubting that the positions are still open. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2011, 06:28:30 PM »
The opportunity is always open, though right now there's a priority to find writers in the San Francisco Bay Area who can cover gaming events.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2011, 08:10:52 PM »
The opportunity is always open, though right now there's a priority to find writers in the San Francisco Bay Area who can cover gaming events.

Can't I just have a NWR press pass...?

Why are you trying to make me apply for a writers position?