Author Topic: Nintendo World Report is Hiring!  (Read 28272 times)

Offline John Rairdin

• Director
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Nintendo World Report is Hiring!
« on: September 07, 2020, 08:34:16 AM »

Want to review video games? Maybe do some editing? Inquire within!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/jobs

We're looking for a few good men or women to join the staff of Nintendo World Report. We're currently looking for the positions below. Let us know if you're interested, and if you have any questions, e-mail nwrjobs@nintendoworldreport.com

Freelance Reviewer

Do you own a Nintendo Switch and have a desire to play all sorts of games, be it big-name Nintendo ones or indie titles? Does the idea of playing games on a deadline so you can tell the world your thoughts about them in written or video form intrigue you? Well, if so, then maybe you're fit for joining us here at Nintendo World Report as a Freelance Reviewer.

Here's what you need:

• Great writing skills and the ability to learn from edits: We'll work with you, but all we ask is that you have a baseline quality, try your best, and learn.
  • Ability to hit deadlines and communicate with editors: When you get a game to review, there will be a deadline that we expect you to meet. Of course, things happen. That's okay sometimes. Just talk to your editor.
  • A Nintendo Switch: It will be hard to review Switch games without one!

Here's some nice-to-haves:

• Audio recording and/or podcasting experience: We do a lot of stuff in the world of podcasts, video, and streaming. If you come aboard, we'd love for you to join that fun aurally.
  • Video capture capability: Some games are gonna need a video review. If you can capture footage, that gives you more opportunities.
  • Video editing capability: Furthermore, some of those games might need someone to edit a video review. If you can do that (or at least want to learn how to do that), awesome!

To wrap it all up, location really doesn't matter, especially now. The only regional requirement is the ability to write in English. If you're from North America, Europe, Australia, Japan, or basically anywhere else, that's fine. The Switch makes it easy to make regional accounts anyway.

Working at Nintendo World Report doesn't come without perks. While we're a volunteer site, we do offer access to the gaming industry, chances to attend events such as E3 and PAX, and review copies of games. We have been around since 1999, and members of our staff have gone on to work at Nintendo, THQ, LucasArts, Game Informer, G4, IGN, and more. Also, members of our staff have been published at IGN, Electronic Gaming Monthly, 1UP, GamePro, and many more.

If you're interested, submit a paragraph or two about yourself, a link to any blogs or past work you'd like to show us, and a review written in the NWR style (see below) to nwrjobs@nintendoworldreport. Depending on experience, a video interview may be required.

Associate Editor

Have you ever thought to yourself while playing a video game or sitting around online, "Ya know, it'd be cool to write about video games. That'd be rad, right?" Good news, friend: you can! We're looking for an Associate Editor to join the team and help with our news, review, and feature coverage.

Here's what you need:

• Great writing skills and the ability to learn from edits: We'll work with you, but all we ask is that you have a baseline quality, try your best, and learn.
  • Ability to hit deadlines and communicate with editors: When you get a game to review, there will be a deadline that we expect you to meet. Of course, things happen. That's okay sometimes. Just talk to your editor.
  • Creative follow-through: This may or may not be a term invented right now, but if you have an idea for like, a cool way to approach a review or a fun feature or a neat video idea, follow through on it. We have a big team with experience willing to help you.

Here's some nice-to-haves:

• Audio recording and/or podcasting experience: We do a lot of stuff in the world of podcasts, video, and streaming. If you come aboard, we'd love for you to join that fun aurally.
  • Video capture capability: Some games are gonna need a video review. If you can capture footage, that gives you more opportunities.
  • Video editing capability: Furthermore, some of those games might need someone to edit a video review. If you can do that (or at least want to learn how to do that), awesome!
  • A Nintendo Switch: It will be hard to review Switch games without one!

To wrap it all up, location really doesn't matter, especially now. The only regional requirement is the ability to write in English. If you're from North America, Europe, Australia, Japan, or basically anywhere else, that's fine. The Switch makes it easy to make regional accounts anyway.

Working at Nintendo World Report doesn't come without perks. While we're a volunteer site, we do offer access to the gaming industry, chances to attend events such as E3 and PAX, and review copies of games. We have been around since 1999, and members of our staff have gone on to work at Nintendo, THQ, LucasArts, Game Informer, G4, IGN, and more. Also, members of our staff have been published at IGN, Electronic Gaming Monthly, 1UP, GamePro, and many more.

If you're interested, submit a paragraph or two about yourself, a link to any blogs or past work you'd like to show us, and a short feature about the history of a video game you like written in the NWR style (see below) to nwrjobs@nintendoworldreport. Depending on experience, a video interview may be required.

NWR style is loosely defined for the purposes of these applications. What we do ask is that you follow the format presented on our site. News stories should include a headline, an abstract, sources (with links), and body text. Previews should contain only factual information and informed speculation. Reviews require a score following the guidelines here, and pros and cons.

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo World Report is Hiring Writers and Editors
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 09:52:23 PM »
Fair warning: You will be expected to do my laundry.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:14:19 PM »
Are you guys hiring for a Forum Contributor position?

I think I would be perfect for that ;)

I'm really just looking for a pass to E3 and any other such industry event in my area.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:46:02 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 11:21:27 PM »
Hmm, what's holding me back is a lack of writing experience (outside of school work of coarse). It would be cool to be a staff writer though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 02:02:36 AM »
Hmm, what's holding me back is a lack of writing experience (outside of school work of coarse). It would be cool to be a staff writer though.

Hey, you gotta start somewhere, you know? And besides, if you've survived the NWR forums, you've probably got some chops with a keyboard. &P
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 02:20:27 AM »
I want to apply but I wonder if I have anything to offer NWR.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 03:02:26 AM »
I want to apply but I wonder if I have anything to offer NWR.

You're hired.....

but just so you know, if you work for the site, your not allowed to regularly post on the forums.
In fact, it's customary to pretend the forums no longer exist and to interact with the locals as rarely as possible unless through specific channels (i.e. Talkback, Blog & Podcast forums)

Offline King Bowser Koopa

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 09:41:07 AM »
I'm writing up a sample review right now. I'll get it posted within the next day or so tops, time zone differences allowing.
Andrew Brown - NWR Australia Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 10:38:22 AM »
Interesting....

If you apply for the Staff Writer position, is there any limitation to what game the review is done on (other than it being a game on a Nintendo system, obviously).

Also, is it ok to apply to more than one position?  (Looking towards Staff Writer and Downloads Editor as the two I'm genuinely interested in).

Thanks!

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 01:00:32 PM »
Interesting....

If you apply for the Staff Writer position, is there any limitation to what game the review is done on (other than it being a game on a Nintendo system, obviously).

Also, is it ok to apply to more than one position?  (Looking towards Staff Writer and Downloads Editor as the two I'm genuinely interested in).

Thanks!

When I applied it was "a game in the last six months," but that was almost four years, two site directors, and 4 job titles for me ago.

It's a safe rule of thumb I think.

I'd say apply to both. Let's be clear though, you're going to do staff writer stuff regardless of your job. I do plenty of "staff" tasks.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline gusema

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 01:03:36 PM »
 I want but I got two problems: I only have 14 years old and IĀ“am Portuguese and live in Oporto. :'( :'( :'(

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 03:58:08 PM »
guesema, don't let that dissuade you. I was hired when I was 15.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 05:56:55 PM »
It's not a good time of year to go by the "last six months" rule. The only game for me that would work for that would be DKCR, and I wouldn't feel comfortable reviewing that having played it with the Classic Controller hack.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 06:05:34 PM »
Don't worry about the six months thing. You can review any game if you really want, though obviously priority first goes to time-relevant reviews, followed by games we haven't yet covered. We also have opportunities to write articles on games for defunct systems, though they aren't strictly reviews.
And don't worry about your age -- we'd like to have the perspective of younger folks, as long as they can put their thoughts together well!
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 06:08:46 PM »
What Aaron said.

There's a reason I didn't put the six month time frame in the postings. Don't go reviewing Pong, but feel free to review a relevant game of your choosing.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 06:48:14 PM »
Would it be all right if I wrote review for Sonic Chronicles since you guys have never done one yourself? The game was released in 2008 for the DS and was developed by Bioware.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline SilverQuilava

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 07:37:41 PM »
I'm probably the least qualified. I live in Florida, im 16, I don't get any games except for christmas and my birthday (which is the 20th of this month actually), and I don't go anywhere at all. I've only been out of Florida two times. It'd be incredible to somehow contribute to NWR, but I don't know what that would be...

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 08:06:13 PM »
I'm probably the least qualified. I live in Florida, im 16, I don't get any games except for christmas and my birthday (which is the 20th of this month actually), and I don't go anywhere at all. I've only been out of Florida two times. It'd be incredible to somehow contribute to NWR, but I don't know what that would be...
First, not getting games is absolutely not an impediment. You can receive review copies from us. Second, news writing usually doesn't require any game playing.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 09:15:01 PM »
What format do you want the attached documents to be in?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 10:46:15 PM »
What Aaron said.

There's a reason I didn't put the six month time frame in the postings. Don't go reviewing Pong, but feel free to review a relevant game of your choosing.

Well, I was going to review Custer's Revenge, but your comments have made me reconsider.  Thanks!

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 01:26:11 AM »
What format do you want the attached documents to be in?

Word Doc is the best bet, that's what we do most of our editing with.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 03:24:48 AM »
I smell fresh meat...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 03:25:26 AM »

Hey, you gotta start somewhere, you know? And besides, if you've survived the NWR forums, you've probably got some chops with a keyboard. &P

Kairon, you should apply for a staff position.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 07:52:25 AM »
Kairon's still on the staff list, so...

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 12:52:19 PM »
Ok, another question:  Is there any kind of deadline to submit your application, or are you just accepting until you find a suitable pool of candidates?