Author Topic: Garage (Switch) PAX East 2018 Preview  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Webmalfunction

• PokĆ©mon World Report
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Garage (Switch) PAX East 2018 Preview
« on: April 19, 2018, 08:50:56 AM »

In the garage, I feel safe. No one cares about my ways.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/hands-on-preview/46970/garage-switch-pax-east-2018-preview

There are roguelikes, there are soulslikes and, in my opinion, a few smashlikes exist now too. But I also feel like weā€™ve reached the point where we can now confidently use the term, ā€œhotlikes.ā€ That is, games inspired by and designed in the spirit of Hotline Miami. We got a pretty solid one last year in the form of Mr. Shifty, and on May 10, Mr. Shifyā€™s publisher tinyBuild (as well as a different developer, Zombie Dynamics) bring us yet another hotlike in the form of Garage.

I had the chance to play Garage during my time at PAX East 2018, and my immediate thought when I started playing was, indeed, it is ā€˜one of those.ā€™ Namely, an uber-violent, top-down shooter with retro-inspired graphics in which you kill enemies by aiming at them via a cursor a few in-game feet in front of you.

But after spending real time with Garage, the differences began to make themselves known. For one, I was (primarily) killing zombies and demons during my demo, and they seemed to vary a lot more in their movesets than the aggro-dependent dogs and gangsters seen in Hotline Miami. And based on the trailer, it seems weā€™re going to get significantly more advanced enemies than what I saw, including boss fights. The overall combat also came across as more sophisticated than either of the Hotline games, as there was a greater focus on dodging, ammo management, and enemies that take far more hits. There is also a racing element to the game, though I did not experience that aspect during my playtime.

Hotline Miami is one of my favorite games, so I enjoyed seeing such a natural hybrid between Hotline and the run-and-gun antics of DOOM (not to mention a bit of splatterpunk inspiration for good measure). The game offered a nice challenge, weapons felt pretty good, and the bad guys were creepy, so I would call myself both hopeful and tentatively excited for the finished product on the merits of gameplay alone.

Saying that, if I had two concerns, it would be the combat tightness and environmental design. While good, the combat didnā€™t feel as tight as some of the best games in the genre, and I wonder how that will affect the later, more difficult chapters. I think the culprit might be the constantly-moving reticle that makes it hard to get a consistent focal point, but Iā€™m not entirely sure. As for environments, everything Iā€™ve seen from the initial trailer and the demo suggests a lot of dark, poorly-lit spaces (and one trippy sequence), so Iā€™m very much hoping thereā€™s more diversity in environments than what the initial looks at the game showed.

Overall, I did have fun with what Iā€™ve played, and Iā€™m interested to see more when the game comes out next month. Until then, feel free to watch the recording of my demo below.