Author Topic: More Revolution Tidbits  (Read 33503 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: More Revolution Tidbits
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2005, 08:06:46 AM »
Damn, and I just bought a DVD Player, what a waste of money.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:More Revolution Tidbits
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2005, 05:52:06 AM »
Man, all this DVD nonsense is annoying.  With E3 nearly here I guess it doesn't matter, but a press release to explain exactly what the system will do/use would be nice.  One big problem with any news you get from the mainstream media is that it has been edited by someone who may not even understand what he's reading.  Unless you're reading a direct quote there's a good chance the news outlet screwed the message up during transmission.  Even if it's a direct quote, who knows?

My dream: a proprietary disc format that is still comparable in size and price to DVD9, and DVD playback.  I agree with those who say it's not as important as last generation, but I disagree with claims that it doesn't matter at all.  Some GameCube-only owners like myself would be interested in DVD playback in their next console, and people who plan to sell or pack their old consoles may be looking for it too.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2005, 08:20:10 AM »
Why would people want DVD playback on their consoles at all? Even if the video quality is comparable to stand-alone players, using the console for both games and movies would just cause your system to die faster.  That constant spinning for hours upon hours cannot be good for the motor.

Wasn't DVD playback one of the main reasons that ps2's break down so often.  I think it was in an EGM's Buyer Beware section that I read that playing movies on the ps2 would cut its life-span down by half.

I wonder how many people would complain that their next-gen console broke down because they use it to watch movies.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2005, 08:31:28 AM »
"Why would people want DVD playback on their consoles at all? Even if the video quality is comparable to stand-alone players, using the console for both games and movies would just cause your system to die faster. That constant spinning for hours upon hours cannot be good for the motor."

It doesn't have to logically make sense.  The important thing is that the PS3 and Xbox 360 will have it so the Rev has to match it or it will be seen as inferior.  There have been numerous times where I've been in a store as someone was choosing to buy a new console and the second they found at that the Cube doesn't play DVDs (or was missing some other feature both competitors have) they immediately wrote it off.  If DVD playback halfs a console's life just don't use it.  Missing features can cost sales.

I don't want it.  I don't need it.  But I'm sick of Nintendo screwing themselves over by deciding what's best for everyone and not providing options.  Don't think of it as DVD playback.  Think of it as a little bit more market share to help us get more games.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2005, 10:36:04 AM »
FWIW, Gamasutra is reporting that the machine will play DVDs (assumedly movies), as well as the GameCube 8cm discs, and Revolution 12cm discs.  Again, in the industry "play DVDs" always refers to movies.  
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2005, 10:59:26 AM »
My math is the yankees(which means it sucks) so is 12cm the same size as standard DVD's(5inch)?  
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2005, 11:00:38 AM »
"5 inches is equal to 12.70 centimeters"

http://www.sciencemadesimple.net/length.php
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2005, 11:12:03 AM »
O NOOES!  Nintendo is using a miniature disc format again!
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2005, 01:42:00 AM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
"What if they had a wireless multitap 'wave-tap' that you plug conrollers into and the multi-tap just pretends each contoller is a wave-bird, and communicates with the system.
The system sounds way too small to have 4 contoller ports anywhere on it, I like this idea alot better."

Sigh ... the Revolution controllers will be backwards compatible as well.  You'll use them to play GameCube games.  No controller ports are necessary.

What about accessories? what about the bongos or the upcoming dance pad? they gotta come out with some kind of wireless tech to allow you to use those attachment.  and when that happens you should aslo be able to hook up you old controllers for some instant multiplayer w/o having to spring for all new controllers right away.
I still think its a good idea.

Offline Talon

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2005, 06:35:21 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
What about accessories? what about the bongos or the upcoming dance pad? they gotta come out with some kind of wireless tech to allow you to use those attachment.

All the wireless technology really does is tell the console which buttons were pressed, the technology for the accessories would be the same as the revolutions controller just its physical layout is different. No biggie really

Whats at the end?
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end of Satan's rainbow?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2005, 07:28:23 AM »
you wanna re-buy your accessories or just buy a wireless muti tap to connect them to?

I think the latter sounds alot cheaper, don't you?

Offline JB

• The Grandfather of All Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2005, 11:34:15 AM »
Actually at the press-conference an image was shown in the background of four controller ports on the front of the Revolution. They are located behind a small door on the unit.

EDIT: Here it is. It is the image on the background, you can clearly see four GameCube controller ports(plus a few ports which are difficult to see).
AC Name:Jan
Town:Zooropa

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2005, 11:01:09 PM »
Yippee! I am now completly sold on the Revolution.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline JB

• The Grandfather of All Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2005, 12:43:51 AM »

Originally posted by: JB
Actually at the press-conference an image was shown in the background of four controller ports on the front of the Revolution. They are located behind a small door on the unit.

EDIT: Here it is. It is the image on the background, you can clearly see four GameCube controller ports(plus a few ports which are difficult to see).

Whoops, my bad. There are no controller ports on the front of the Revolution, they are on the side/top of the console. IGN has a photograph of it.
AC Name:Jan
Town:Zooropa

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2005, 05:20:57 AM »
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers