Author Topic: Delicious tourney*** tears are my drink of choice tonight  (Read 38015 times)

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Delicious tourney*** tears are my drink of choice tonight
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2007, 06:25:30 AM »
oh ya i forgot you're right about dope not slowing down my game.
cos you watch me play. you know me. we're best buds.
  we grew up together,
  bathed together,
  went to the park and vomitted all over after the merry-go-round made us sick together! ("MELISSA!")

or cos you'd even f*n understand what I was trying to do in the match.

listen champ, you can't carry Marth across the stage with Captain Falcon's Aerial-Up-A kicks when you're too baked to keep pace with that blue blur of testosterone.

Dope slowed down my smash game. this is not conjecture: multiple (smart) opponent's have told me as such.

SOMETIMES it makes my playstyle a little smarter., but generally I would just get too predictable and/or stubborn and attempt the same approach just to perfect my technical skills. (this is what was really killing my game)

perfect practice makes perfect.
my game is far more on point when I'm not smoking. The inconsistency was killing me.

enough about this, why don't you just get better than WD'ers and kick their asses?> We all spend too much time online for our own good; focus some on watching youtube matches and studying the knockbacks of attacks at various percentages. Rip off combos that you see online -- then start to make your own from there.

WaveDashing itself can get very very predictable.
example:-

(casual play)  i charge in with any attack, opponent rolls through me or away from me.
I set up the same situation again in that match, charging at my opponent under same circumstances. this time, I keep running through his backwards roll and catch him when his character stands back up. (if he rolled forward through/past me, then I would wavedash backwards and try to be waiting for his character to stand up and get wrecked OR stop my dash by slamming down on the joystick, then start charging a smash in the direction behind me to punish his foolish roll)

(advanced play) same friggin thing. I advance, opponent wavedashes backwards. I know he'll do this, so I continue dashing at him and grab/attack him after his retreating wavedash. the only thing i have to look out for is if he decides to WD back to a forwardSmash or forwardTilt

anways.. you don't need to WaveDash to beat most of these people. You just need to avoid rolling, or make your rolls less predictable. try jumping out of your shield instead of rolling when you feel too pressured. but honestly L-Cancelling is the devil here; these tourneyfags you despise really only hold an advantage in the sense that they can crash in with any aerial-A attack and cut the landing lag animation in half, thus being able to roll/spot dodge/jump/attack before you can grab them from your shield.

I'll shut up now...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2007, 08:04:26 AM »
Stimutacs Addict = Stimulants Addict
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RE:Delicious tourney*** tears are my drink of choice tonight
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2007, 08:14:31 AM »
I used to really enjoy reading smashboards.com.  They had some seriously insane things going on there.  I'm not kidding when I say that there was a user who said he'd go to Japan to kill Sakurai if only his parents could give him the money.

I am totally serious.

Also, he has some kind of hand-deformation that makes his hand all pink.  That's a wonderful image right there.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2007, 08:18:11 AM »
oooooh found a quote:

Alright, listen up you f---ing scrubs.
Little s---stains like you are the reason Sakurai is dumbing down the Smash Brothers series from a competitive fighter to f---ing child's play. This dumbing down (or as i like to call it, "scrubing" down) of a once beautiful franchise is making me pissed beyond belief.

You can see evidence of this bulls--- from the 15 second video, where we see a massive nurfing of the OU character Fox McCloud by his decrease in falling speed. Not only that, but the promising new character Zamus is now only obtainable by using items. (Fat chance, Sakurai) I swear if they remove wavedashing just so you scrubs don't have to deal with superior skill, me and hundreds of others will f---ing boycott this game.

You f---ing scrubs have successfully destroyed my favorite hobby. Thanks for ruining my f---ing week, a--holes.

Swears removed by me.  Man, I miss this stuff.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2007, 09:25:21 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu
Stimutacs Addict = Stimulants Addict

Long cat is long.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2007, 11:09:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Stimutacs Addict
or cos you'd even f*n understand what I was trying to do in the match.

listen champ, you can't carry Marth across the stage with Captain Falcon's Aerial-Up-A kicks when you're too baked to keep pace with that blue blur of testosterone.

Dope slowed down my smash game. this is not conjecture: multiple (smart) opponent's have told me as such.

SOMETIMES it makes my playstyle a little smarter., but generally I would just get too predictable and/or stubborn and attempt the same approach just to perfect my technical skills. (this is what was really killing my game)

perfect practice makes perfect.
my game is far more on point when I'm not smoking. The inconsistency was killing me.

Simple solution: Don't play high. Pot doesn't affect you AT ALL unless it's still active in your system. It seems kind of silly to give up smoking "for a game" when you could just not smoke before you play, or smoke and then wait until you're sober, and play then.

enough about this, why don't you just get better than WD'ers and kick their asses?

Because I'm not a prat who feels some uncontrollable urge to read way too much much into a mascot fighting/party game and force obnoxious amounts of illusory depth into it, play the game way too goddamn much, and then act like I'm so much better than everyone else while jerking off over how f**king awesome I am.

The more you post, the more I don't like you. You're pulling the typical "don't like tourneyfags? get better" bullsh!t, and completely missing the entire point of why I don't like them. I don't dislike them because they can beat me. I don't give a sh!t if they can beat me. You know why? Because unlike tourneyfags, I don't play to win. I play for fun.  
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2007, 11:21:45 AM »
This thread is quantum.  A state of Win/Phail simultaneously!

Dirk Temporo is like the opposite of Nancy Regan.  

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2007, 03:29:21 PM »
dirk you drew me into the weed discussion, im putting that on you. I should have listened to that fish-like angel on my shoulder screaming "its a trap!" before ever clarifying the dope topic.
but i can drop that now; and i've never straight up quit smoking dope for smash but if you did know me then you'd get the complete image. It's longtime been a joke with my nonsmashing friends.

and then we get to the next part:
I play for fun.
Winning is nice, but really just looking sexy is all i care about. perfect control of my character and fluid motion are what I strive for., I've never come close to winning a singles tournament nor do I intend to ever commit myself to one character long enough to do so (that saps the fun out of the game).

what's illusory about this?
They left features in the game to make your character travel faster. Smart, competitive people found ways to turn an already great party title into one of the most accessible (compare to guilty gear, sf 3rd strike, marvel vs capcom, and every other fighting game thats just waaaaay to complex with all the button combinations and whatnot) 2d fighters on the market.

and half the time, people are prompted to get better because they have a jackass friend who is comfortable with walking around the stage with marth/fox/falco , handing out forward smashes with the C-stick left and right. Knowing that there was more to the game than mashing the C-stick, I sought advice online. And being an active member of smashboards, I can vouch that a lot of people end up discovering competitive smash for the same reasons. They get whooped by someone who can out-think them on the rock-paper-scissors aspect of the title, then seek advanced tactics to avoid getting raped by the same stupid techniques.

There's too much depth to the game for me not to enjoy it and explore every aspect. Despite minor broken traits among certain characters (marth/sheik/fox), its a rich, semi-balanced title. And the wavedashing element is even cooler simply because It allows you more degrees of freedom with every character.

Its just that there's a whole lot to do with the physics engine. Probably the best $50 i've ever spent on a video game.

and yea there are total douchebags in the smash community that would have called you a scrub and left a long time ago and i bet you wish i was one, but like anything foul, i linger

haha jk goodnight everyone we love you!
I'll shut up now...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2007, 04:26:17 PM »
Holy crap I leave this thread a couple of days and the spirit of Gamefaqs has invaded! I think we need to have an exorcism.  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2007, 05:00:23 PM »
The power of christ compels you!

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2007, 06:00:44 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Holy crap I leave this thread a couple of days and the spirit of Gamefaqs has invaded! I think we need to have an exorcism.

I think this thread's "spirit" is from as far beyond Gamefaqs as Gamefaqs is beyond us, but in all actuality I think this is what Dirk wanted.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2007, 06:13:01 PM »

I think this thread's "spirit" is from as far beyond Gamefaqs as Gamefaqs is beyond us

Completely off topic but that reminds me of something Apocalypse said in the X-men tv series . . .

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2007, 06:13:27 PM »
GEE thanks Dirk...

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2007, 06:29:03 PM »
;_;

What do you think I wanted?
-Travis Touchdown

Offline anubis6789

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2007, 06:46:10 PM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro

I think this thread's "spirit" is from as far beyond Gamefaqs as Gamefaqs is beyond us

Completely off topic but that reminds me of something Apocalypse said in the X-men tv series . . .

That is partially where I got it.

"I am as far beyond mutants as they are beyond you! I am eternal!"

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo
;_;

What do you think I wanted?

I think you know what I mean.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2007, 06:50:05 PM »
oh eff that Gamefaqs can eat a d.

i've been on these boards for too long to be spoken to like that
I'll shut up now...

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 22, 2007, 06:55:48 PM »

Originally posted by: anubis6789
I think you know what I mean.

I don't know! ;_;

@Stimutacs: Too long? Didn't you like, just register or something?
-Travis Touchdown

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 22, 2007, 06:58:07 PM »

Originally posted by: Stimutacs Addict
oh eff that Gamefaqs can eat a d.

i've been on these boards for too long to be spoken to like that
He's right. You know that you've been here long enough when I quote you in the Guess the Poster thread (here with the follow up here)

EDIT: I wonder if even Stimutacs remembers writing that. Curse my excellent memory!  

(I quoted him for saying this in this thread)
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2007, 07:38:47 PM »

"I am as far beyond mutants as they are beyond you! I am eternal!"

You just won the thread =D

Offline NinjaWang

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2007, 11:03:40 AM »

third, I was not saying that wavedashing was intended in development, but that the developers inaction regarding such a technique shows that they do not care and may feel that it is fine in the game, which in a roundabout way show a form of intent.

So you should be arrested for your inaction in the anti child molestation movement because in a roundabout way it shows you have intent of molesting childern?

Same Principle right?
My mother hung me on a hook once, ONCE!

Offline anubis6789

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2007, 11:22:53 AM »

Originally posted by: NinjaWang

third, I was not saying that wavedashing was intended in development, but that the developers inaction regarding such a technique shows that they do not care and may feel that it is fine in the game, which in a roundabout way show a form of intent.

So you should be arrested for your inaction in the anti child molestation movement because in a roundabout way it shows you have intent of molesting childern?

Same Principle right?

Not at all; the difference is that the developers probably know of wavedashing and do not do anything about it even though they have the power; while most people do not have the power to affect the problem of child molestation on a larger scale so their "inaction" is justified as long as they try to protect children in their purview. Inaction towards possible child molestation would be negligent at best.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2007, 12:20:39 PM »
I don't consider it inaction when the follow-up sequel removes the function.  I think that means it wasn't intended and that the devs didn't like it.  In a game that doesn't have a thriving online community, you can't create vastly different versions, and the physics that allowed wavedashing were intergral to the game anyways.  The cost to remove the trick from the game, and then to explain why it was taken out would have far exceeded the motive, and that's why there was "inaction" for that time.

We see now that it wasn't intended because it was removed from the sequel.

Offline anubis6789

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2007, 12:47:14 PM »
You cannot say that certain exploits were removed when the entire mechanic has been changed so drastically. I highly doubt that the dev team would redesign a mechanic because of a a technique that only a sliver of players use, and the techniques themselves are only useful in highly specialized matches.  

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2007, 06:40:07 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
EDIT: I wonder if even Stimutacs remembers writing that. Curse my excellent memory!  

daaaaammmnn!!

IceCold is tooGood.

okay,. I'll cool down on the smash topic, and honestly state that my favorite part about this game is ...
*drum* (too lazy to roll through)

.. tiny Melee. ness' bat is GUGE!

Its just so great how this game can be enjoyed on many different levels. And im super-excited that Brawl is going to be less of a lightning-fast twitch-fest., cos these fingers aren't getting any livelier, and it really sucks to get raped by middle or high schoolers who don't know the principles of fighting strategy but can cancel everything into another attack.

dirk i will state that I've been a little  .. ehm, eccentric. and kinda hopped up on caffeine for a few days. so yea i don't mean to really be that .. ghey
I'll shut up now...

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2007, 07:16:07 PM »
If anyone asks me why I stay out of Smash discussions, just look at this thread.