Author Topic: IS Nitro Capture - The official Nintendo DS video capture device  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
You may have heard of of this before. They were produced by Intelligent Systems for developers/publishers (maybe even reviewers?) to capture screenshots and video of DS games.

I first saw one of these at a Nintendo Connection Tour back in 2006, in Perth, Australia. Nintendo had one connected to two large screens and were having a tournament for the people at the event. I remember them playing Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros on it.

Some of them have made their way onto different auction websites. I got this one recently from Yahoo Auctions in Japan. I tried to buy one on eBay previously, but the listing was removed for being against their software licensing terms, because it isn't supposed to be available to the public.

I find the device to be extremely interesting, so I made a video about what it is capable of. Please enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/L29OdhchsGc

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: IS Nitro Capture - The official Nintendo DS video capture device
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 12:40:54 PM »
Very cool, thanks for making a video about this thing. Explains how magazines could ship with DVDs back in the day with screencapped footage, too.
Wonder if it gets a bit cumbersome when you play touch-screen heavy games, I'm imagining it'd basically be the Wii U experience.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 10:15:23 PM »
I plan to play Ghost Trick on it, which I haven't played before. I've had a copy of the game sitting around for a while and this is the perfect reason to finally play it

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 09:44:43 PM »
This is really cool!  I would have killed for one of these when the DS was current.  At first I was thinking that two monitors makes sense but seemed very unwieldy, but then I saw the ability to put both screens on the same display.  Some DS games would connect the two screens as one big vertical display and a developer would need the ability to view that easily.  The two TVs arranged vertically doesn't seem practical enough for Nintendo to expect people to do that.

Of course what would be cool would be to be able to switch between screens on the fly.  Sometimes you would want to see both screens at once, sometimes just the "main" screen for the action and sometimes the other screen for stats and items and such.  You could switch to whatever screen is most important to you at the time.  But I'm thinking from the perspective of a consumer device specifically to play DS games on a TV.  The intended purpose of this device wouldn't need that functionality.  Now this is making me wish the Wii U had a 3DS player.  Top screen on TV, touchscreen on Gamepad - DONE.  Oh well.

And yes you should play Ghost Trick on it.  Or just play Ghost Trick period.  That's probably one of my top three DS games.  The video was well done as well.  I saw it had a 20 minutes length and I was worried it would have pacing issues but it was thorough and interesting all throughout.  For me it whizzed by before I knew it.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 07:14:13 AM »
Having both screens on one display is definitely more convenient, it just doesn't look as good.

I did start Ghost Trick, I streamed the first hour and a half
https://youtu.be/EtZbocMHrW0