Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3140803 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
RE: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread (updated 10/29/2007)
« Reply #925 on: December 12, 2007, 08:21:22 AM »
Yes, I did...........very much so. So much so, in fact, that I didn't buy a Wii because it wasn't at launch.

As for Camelots track record, I'm not sure what you mean. When I got into GS, these games were already out and at discounted prices.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #926 on: April 21, 2008, 06:32:02 PM »
So apparently there is a rumor going around that Retro studios is being dissolved and/or that all their top people quit. Anyone have info?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 22, 2008, 02:56:40 PM »
Retro dissolving would absolutely suck because we never got to see them make anything but Metroid Prime.  They have such obvious talent.  Who doesn't want to see what else they're capable of?

Where is the rumour coming from?  Any links?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 22, 2008, 03:13:12 PM »
Retro being dissolved makes... so little sense in my head... right now..
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 22, 2008, 03:42:35 PM »
SurferGirl is the source of the rumor http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.com/

Casamassina and Bozon mentioned it on last night's IGN Nintendo podcast and didn't think it was plausible.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #930 on: April 22, 2008, 04:07:28 PM »
BUT THEY'RE MAKING THE NEW ZELDA
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 22, 2008, 04:10:49 PM »
I don't think even Ian thinks Nintendo is stupid enough to break up Retro, and why would their top people stay with the company while they were forced to keep making Metroid games and then leave when they're (presumably) given more creative freedom.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #932 on: April 22, 2008, 04:13:22 PM »
I've heard Surfer Girl thrown out there for a bunch of rumors, but I have no idea what her credibility is. How often is she correct, is there any possibility she could be credible on such a huge accusation?

If true, this BLOWS.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 22, 2008, 04:20:16 PM »
I'd think it's only plausible if Nintendo had the people in question under contract until MP3 was done, and now they're taking the opportunity to leave, or if Nintendo isn't giving them the creative freedom they've earned after all.  The pessimist in me doesn't find the latter possibility as easy to dismiss as I'd like, but I think this rumor's most likely bunk.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 22, 2008, 07:30:17 PM »
I don't think even Ian thinks Nintendo is stupid enough to break up Retro, and why would their top people stay with the company while they were forced to keep making Metroid games and then leave when they're (presumably) given more creative freedom.

Perhaps Nintendo isn't giving them that creative freedom and enough key members are leaving as a result.  Thus with enough people leaving Nintendo feels it's better to split Retro up instead of replacing people.  That's the only logical explanation I can think of.

I can however think of many illogical reasons and with Nintendo that can frequently be closer to their line of thinking. ;)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #935 on: April 23, 2008, 07:31:37 PM »
Looks like there is some truth to this.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52373
Check out PixlBit!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 23, 2008, 08:00:42 PM »
This makes me angry, But we don't know the whole story.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 23, 2008, 08:13:41 PM »
Looks like there is some truth to this.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52373

Well the article also says that they've learned Retro is in no danger of closing either.

It's sad to see key members of the studio left though.  Of course I remember reading about some key members leaving after Prime 1 was done, but Prime 2 and 3 still ended up great games.  So if Retro still has enough good talent left then this loss shouldn't effect things too much.

Well I hope not since some gaming studio's have gone to complete sh!t in the past when certion members leave.  Kind of shows you who the real talent at the studio's was then.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 23, 2008, 10:10:15 PM »
According to Wikipedia about 60 people work for Retro, so if it's just those three, even if they are very important people the loss of them shouldn't suddenly make Retro horrible. Hopefully.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 24, 2008, 01:07:01 AM »
Not to belittle their contribution to Retro, but they'll be replaced. People, even key staff members, leave companies ALL THE TIME. It happens. Everyone moves on.

Also, I don't know why anyone was worried about Retro possibly closing. I love how small news stories blow up when there's nothing else to report.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 24, 2008, 02:04:19 AM »
Why did they leave? Could it have something to do with them being forced to do absolutely nothing but churn out Metroid Prime games one after another? I can see how someone might get sick of that.

Come on Nintendo, let Retro do something else for a change!
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 24, 2008, 02:18:51 AM »
Why did they leave? Could it have something to do with them being forced to do absolutely nothing but churn out Metroid Prime games one after another? I can see how someone might get sick of that.

Come on Nintendo, let Retro do something else for a change!

We don't know what they're doing next, but we do know that it's not another Metroid game, they are definitely doing something else.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 24, 2008, 02:31:52 AM »
I hope they aren't making Zelda. or another Metroid. For their sake as much as anyones'.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 24, 2008, 10:10:23 AM »
I hope they aren't making Zelda. or another Metroid. For their sake as much as anyones'.

Well after Prime 3, Retro said the next game they make wont be another Metroid game.  Plus there's no reason for them to make a Zelda game, when Aonuma has a very large team at EAD who's purpose is to work on Zelda games.  So I think it's safe to say, the next Retro game won't be a Metroid or Zelda. 

Of course there might be something to that Kid Icarus revival that Matt Casamassina has been talking about forever now.  Since Retro did such a good job with Metroid, I wouldn't rule out Nintendo wanting them to update another classic series like that.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 24, 2008, 04:56:56 PM »
Retro working on Kid Icarus doesn't make much sense either. I thought they wanted to work on something different. If they get Kid Icarus, Nintendo has basically just relegated them to the status of revival house. Might as well give them Star Tropics and Radar Scope while they're at it......

Nintendo shouldn't "waste" Retro on older franchises. I want a sequel to Kid Icarus, but I also want an original title from Retro. Conundrum! Nintendo could always nurture a new team like they did with Retro and give them Kid Icarus. At least we can rest easier knowing that Nintendo won't let thier old franchises crash and burn under a new developer since there's precedence for them not doing that.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: April 24, 2008, 05:08:06 PM »
Plus there's no reason for them to make a Zelda game, when Aonuma has a very large team at EAD who's purpose is to work on Zelda games.  So I think it's safe to say, the next Retro game won't be a Metroid or Zelda.

Normally I'd agree, but with that recent Miyamoto interview where he talked about wanting to get the Japanese to start liking FPSers, plus the rumour of Retro developing a Zelda spinoff, and that Retro has an amazing FPS Wii control scheme, it's very easy to put two and two and two together and come up with the possibility that Retro is working on a first-person Zelda game...

Yeah it's crazy, but it also could tie in with any possible creative direction issues going on between Nintendo and Retro...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 24, 2008, 05:37:31 PM »
Where is that interview?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 24, 2008, 05:42:21 PM »
Right at the bottom...

"The first-person shooter market in Japan -- for whatever reason, people just don't like them," he notes. "My hope is that we can convince Japanese gamers who until now haven't played first-person shooters to play those games in a way that they can enjoy them. We're preparing to release the Wii Zapper in Japan. Our hope is that by releasing it with Link's Crossbow Training, the Zapper can give gamers an easier way to appreciate shooters, and at the same time open the door for all the really high-quality shooters being developed in the U.S. to make their way to Japan."

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 24, 2008, 05:52:03 PM »
...and that Retro has an amazing FPS Wii control scheme....
As long as it doesn't involve switching visors....

Also, don't see the Zelda spin-off thing happening. What would a spin-off entail? Play as Zelda? I'd just wonder why that wasn't just part of a main series game. Play as Ganondorf? He's not that interesting as far villains go. He's a pretty flat character with a one track mind (i.e. wants power). He's a plot point, plain and simple. He exists in the Zelda series so players have a goal to complete. Could they make him more interesting for a spin-off? Yeah, I guess, but why? Or more importantly, why not make him more interesting in the main series (which they kind of did in Wind Waker)? That way, when I see him, I care and more than just simple, petty nostalgia.

I guess I just find Zelda much harder to spin-off from than say Mario or Pokemon. They could make a full fledged Zelda RPG, but then, why not just make a new IP? Any spin-off could potentially be a brand new property, one which doesn't have to adhere to the rules of an older franchise. If Nintendo is worried about new IPs selling, include a demo and a trailer with their big titles.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 24, 2008, 05:59:06 PM »
Or how about a spinoff where you play as Link?

A spinoff doesn't need to imply a drastic change of cast, but a change in perspective from what is expected from the main series...Just like the Four Swords games and Link's Crossbow Training are considered spinoffs because the game is played differently...

As for how the planning for such a game could pop into existence?  Don't ask me, I don't have a clue how these sorts of decisions are made...We already know Nintendo wants to take the series into a new direction, first-person is one such direction (a direction that Miyamoto is now mysteriously interested in garnering interest for in Japan), and there's a first-party developer that has said experience in the first-person perspective...It's only a possibility, but it's far from bogus...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 06:03:37 PM by Bill Aurion »