Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537743 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #750 on: January 02, 2010, 09:46:02 PM »
But it still doesn't make sense unless the machine was gonna start making humans.
why not program the doll to goto the machine and surrender the soul or just go put the soul in the machine himself. He(the scientist) was the last human, so in reality, he himself was humanities last hope.

and it only took one doll to handle that catbot, so they could've been safe long before 9 showed up(since he had no part in dismembering the bot) if hey had wanted to.

As far as the talisman, 9 had played back that video that the scientist had left him just before he dumped that last part of his soul in the doll and somehow 9 knew exactly what the symbols meant even though no explanation was given. He pried the talisman away from the brain bot and then hit the symbols on it in a specific order(that was never explained and he had a epiphany about), turned it towards the brain bot and then it sucked the souls back from it.

Another thing is, why didn't they try to put the souls back in the lifeless dolls that they came from? Only one body was lost for good down the deep dark hole under the bridge.

either way, that's enough about this movie.

I'm about to go back to my 'Chuck' marathon in preparation for season 3. Gotta get my girl into the show so she'll know whats going on next Sunday when Chuck returns.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 03, 2010, 07:47:13 AM »
BnM: I felt the same way. Confused, bewildered....what the **** did I just watch? What the hell was the point?

Was I entertained? Yes. But do I ever want to see it again? Hell no. Actually, I think it would piss me off if I ever saw it again; kinda like Transformers 2.

Movie of the year? As much as I love Inglorious Basterds and District 9, I'm going to have to give Avatar the nod here. It was literally one of those movies that after you finished seeing it, you immediately wanted to see it again. It was one of those movies that put you in such a great mood afterwards. I can't lie. I clapped once it showed the credits...and the thing is, I wasn't alone.

When he first uses his avatar up until after he captures his dragon, I swear I was all smiles. It was the greatest adventure ever. Who didn't want to be him?

Oh and did anyone catch this funny observation. After he has sex with that alien chick (which was kinda weird by the way...i mean, he would have to aroused by her to begin with....not saying she wasn't a "hot" alien chick in comparison to her species, but she was still a fuckin' blue monster cat thing)...but anyway. After he has sex with her, did you notice that his Avatar was still cuddled with her? How fucked up was that lol?! I mean think about it, she's basically cuddled up with a puppet and she doesn't even know it. He's back at the base eating, probably had to wash hjs pants and smoke a cig, and most likely took a shower all the while this chick is butt-ass-naked in the woods with his puppet. I thought that **** was hilarious.

And man...Imax 3D has come a long way. I remember seeing some underwater video and thinking it was cool but just a gimmick. This time it was perfect. I'm honestly contemplating NOT buying the blu-ray because of how severely disappointing it'll be with no giant screen and 3D.

Anyways, I'm probably going to see it again before it leaves the theater.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 04, 2010, 03:54:48 AM »
The Mask of Zorro - 8/10 - If you've been following my more recent posts you've probably noticed a general theme of late.  ;)   Well, I finally got around to seeing this movie and...it's ok but nothing spectacular.  My chief complaint (and I recognize that this is an unfair one born of personal bias) is that neither Anthony Hopkins nor Antonio Banderas sell me that they are worthy successors to Guy Williams as Zorro.  There just isn't that almost Spider-man level of playfulness to their portrayal of the character, not to mention Williams was a natural fencer taught by legends in the business.  Getting to actual flaws of the movie, though, this movie reminds me a lot of Star Trek Generations: Hopkins completely steals the show as Diego De La Vega, and Banderas' character just isn't interesting enough to care about when he's on screen.  Maybe it's just that level of class that Hopkins brought to his role, but I would frequently wish that Banderas would just get off the screen so we could see more of what "Diego" was up to.  It doesn't help that the movie also never does a great job of selling why exactly we should care about "Alejandro" and better still why he deserves to be the new "Zorro."  He's a dirty thief who got caught, lost his brother in the process, and then decided to seek revenge.  Yes, "hero of the people" this one is.   ::)   At least this gives the movie a great opportunity to mock him in the process as he is completely schooled by De La Vega, including a incredibly funny sequence where Alejandro decides to show off and starts whipping his sword around in a frenzy to look impressive, followed by a casual single swing disarm from De La Vega.  I could have done without the somewhat excessive sexual undertones throughout the movie as well, though I suppose it's understandable considering the leads.

On the upside, the action is competently staged and the story overall is good and flows well.  I also appreciated the nods to previous Zorro works, particularly when De La Vega in disguise assumes the name of "Bernado."  Of course, they could have taken that joke even further by having him pretend to be deaf & dumb and speaking in pantomime, but that's just a fanboy request.   :P: : : :

I've been forewarned about "Legend of Zorro" and so won't be seeing that film, but this is a competent "pass the torch" movie.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 02:27:32 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 04, 2010, 04:07:36 AM »
Yeah, Legend of Zorro was quite disappointing to me compared to Mask of Zorro. My friends liked it oddly enough but it just felt cheesy. Too much cliche with the whole 'Wow! My dad is really a superhero!' storyline.

Also I think they changed the story a bit in the sequel because I could have sworn Alejandro had a daughter at the end of the first movie but he only has a son in the sequel. Though it has been a while. Can you confirm this, Broodwars?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:09:48 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 04, 2010, 04:18:41 AM »
Also I think they changed the story a bit in the sequel because I could have sworn Alejandro had a daughter at the end of the first movie but he only has a son in the sequel. Though it has been a while. Can you confirm this, Broodwars?

I'm pretty sure it's a girl as well.  If not, those are the girl-iest baby clothes I've ever seen on a boy.  Besides, that whole ending is meant to be a callback to the beginning of the movie with Hopkins, so it would only make sense that it would be that way.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 04, 2010, 04:42:31 AM »
Agreed, which was why it felt so jarring in the sequel when it was different. I think that nagging thought just set a poor initial tone for the entire film in my head. Granted, the rest of then movie wasn't terribly impressive to me, but I might have viewed it in a slightly better light had they not thrown in that change.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 04, 2010, 04:50:21 AM »
It was totally a girl at the end.  I give Mask an 8/10 as well. I thought it was pretty good, i don't have the same complaints about Alejandro though, i thought he was interesting. He was a ruffian, and he had to work at the elegance of Zorro. I also liked watching From G to Gents :p
Plus he had to do things like fake his accent to not stick out amongst the nobility.
and I agree the Sequel was lame 2 points deducted 6/10
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 04, 2010, 05:00:57 AM »
I give Mask an 8/10 as well. I thought it was pretty good, i don't have the same complaints about Alejandro though, i thought he was interesting. He was a ruffian, and he had to work at the elegance of Zorro. I also liked watching From G to Gents :p
Plus he had to do things like fake his accent to not stick out amongst the nobility.
and I agree the Sequel was lame 2 points deducted 6/10

Like I said, most of my problems with Alejandro have to do with the problem that Diego just completely overshadows him as a more interesting character played by a more compelling actor.  Alejandro just needed more time to develop as a character and come into his own as Zorro than a 2-hour movie with two ongoing stories can support.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:03:56 AM by broodwars »

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #758 on: January 04, 2010, 02:17:58 PM »
Next you'll have to watch Zorro, the Gay Blade. George Hamilton at his best.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 05, 2010, 07:50:31 PM »
To All Those That Have Seen AVATAR, is this accurate?

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 05, 2010, 08:31:37 PM »
I Love You Man - 2/5
This movie draaaags.  The awkward moments between Rudd and Seagal just aren't aren't enough. 
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #761 on: January 05, 2010, 09:07:59 PM »
That's too funny, BlacknMild. "Unobtanium" sounds like something you collect in Ratchet & Clank (Raritanium).
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #762 on: January 05, 2010, 09:52:50 PM »
That's too funny, BlacknMild. "Unobtanium" sounds like something you collect in Ratchet & Clank (Raritanium).

They actually called it Unobtainium in the film. No joke.

Also,
Eh. Writing was predictable, but okay. the CGI is the main draw really.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars- 7/10
Meh. Not too horrid. Not as good as the Clone Wars cartoon or the films, but it isn't bad

Trailer Park Boys: Countdown to Liquor Day- 8/10
If you like the Trail Park Boys, see this. It is very, very funny.

Total Recall- 8.5/10
Makes me remember how Ahnold managed to keep a career. He was a surprisingly good actor in the right roles
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 09:54:52 PM by GearBoxClock »
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 05, 2010, 10:23:41 PM »
yeah, when i heard unobtainium in the movie...i thought "that is a really unoriginal name"
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #764 on: January 05, 2010, 10:38:48 PM »
Maybe it's a TvTropes reference?
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: January 06, 2010, 01:27:37 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium

And yes thats mostly accurate. The only thing that bothers me about it is they NEVER in the movie go into the relationship with Neytiri and Tsu'tey. Which bothers me because they imply the same story line in an interview I saw. But we never learn what Neytiri really things of Tsu'tey, just that they were supposed to hook up.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #766 on: January 06, 2010, 04:37:33 AM »
The Princess and the Frog - I think I looked like a pedophile seeing this by myself today.  Good movie.  Liked most of the characters.  Songs were ok but not memorable (which was disappointing).  I didn't like the fact that they consistently have to remind you that's it's in New Orleans at the most unnecessary times in similar ways.  Occasionally, they showed how much they studied the cit but simultaneously didn't really get it.  It's hard to explain. 7/10 Good for the kids.

Village au Panique (A Town Called Panic) - Crazy, hilarious, French. 9/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 07, 2010, 11:53:26 AM »
Next you'll have to watch Zorro, the Gay Blade. George Hamilton at his best.

*looks up a summary of the movie's premise*

No.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: January 07, 2010, 04:11:25 PM »
Nine - I haven't seen 9, but judging on the fact that some people don't like it above. But Nine is great.

I did not know Dame Judy Dench could sing.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 08, 2010, 12:47:53 AM »
(500) Days of Summer - 9/10.  Great flick.  I love relationship movies that are actually realistic instead of overly hokey, overly comedic, or overly dramatic.  I though the movie would be one way at the beginning, but it turned out to be an entirely different kind of film at the end.  Probably my favorite of the 2009 movie year that I've seen.

District 9 is next in my Netflix queue.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: January 09, 2010, 04:14:37 AM »
Sherlock Holmes 8.5/10

This is a strong movie. The casting is perfect. The action bloody fun. The writing witty, but not quite as good as Inglorious Bastards. The plot surprisingly clever as it should be for a show about Holmes. This movie has the potential to be the Lethal Weapon for these hard times.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: January 09, 2010, 01:48:15 PM »
Gigantic - 3/5
Strange movie.  Its filmed like a romantic comedy, but it takes some weird, and some time hilarious diversions.  Zoey is cute enough, but overall the movie leaves a bit to be desired.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #772 on: January 09, 2010, 11:18:05 PM »
The Lovely Bones 3/5
chilling. You could **** yourself.
Story about some girl named Ruth who one day walking home from school feels the spiritual presence of a recently deceased classmate.

District 9 5/5
Watched it again recently, amazing.
Story is about this guy called Christopher, he and his son are collecting minerals to escape a refugee camp.

Inglourios Basterds 4/5
Funny.
Story of a cinema owner in Paris who is given the opportunity to host a gala German film festival.

Starship Troopers 3/5
Shoddy acting lets down funny and slick scifi action.
Tragic tale about the survivors of Buenos Aires.

Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation 1/5
Shitty slasher flick.
A moving tale about a woman who succumbs to mental illness.

Starship Troopers 3: Marauder 3/5
More like the original, better acting, worse directing, lowest budget yet.
A exploratory documentary exploring the connections between church and state.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 11:48:04 PM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 10, 2010, 02:53:58 AM »
Up 3/5
Also, the old man waited until after his wife died to go to Paradise Falls.  Fail.

Wow, way to completely miss the point of the movie (and a major plot cue too).
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 10, 2010, 03:00:25 AM »
Right, recent movies..

Avatar was great visually and the world was enthralling, but the story and characters were simple and archetypal. Movie of the year? Not by a long shot - that goes to either The Hurt Locker or Up in the Air.

Sherlock Holmes
was better than I expected but not brilliant. Robert Downey is incredible of course.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig