Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537662 times)

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #725 on: December 30, 2009, 02:38:41 PM »
I prefer Brent Spiner as Sherlock Holmes and LaVar Burton as Watson...

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: December 30, 2009, 03:48:28 PM »
Sherlock Holmes - 8. Robert Downey Jr OWNED this movie. Everything else just didn't stand up to his brilliance.

Do you think a fan of the classic Sherlock Holmes stories can enjoy this movie?  I grew up with the books and Basil Rathhbone (via the 1930s-1940s Sherlock Holmes Radio Dramas) as my Sherlock, and the moment I saw the trailer for this movie I didn't like it.  It just looked like they tried to turn Holmes into more of an action hero with silly jokes, but maybe it was just a bad trailer?

It was probably a bad trailer. But the film stands up for it's strong chemistry between the characters. I paid far more attention to their interactions then the plot itself.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: December 30, 2009, 03:57:01 PM »
Duplicity - Better than I thought it would be

I expected horrible stuff from this movie, especially since this gif came from the movie

But it was better than expected and it didn't even have the ending that you might suspect.
to sum up this movie without giving too much away, How Players Get Played

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: December 31, 2009, 01:35:02 PM »
-last 3 movies is me clearing out my Instant Watch queue since movies are about to expire-

What?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: December 31, 2009, 02:08:41 PM »
Instant Watch movies on Netflix at some point have an expiration date where you can't Instant Watch them anymore(some become available again at a later date).

The last 3 movies I rated were just me getting rid of movies that were about to expire on my list.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 31, 2009, 03:35:16 PM »
A Perfect Getaway - 8.5/10

I really liked this movie. You think you know whats going on, you might be right, but then again, you might be wrong. You think you know who;s telling the truth and who is bullshitting, but once again, you might have it all wrong, or partially wrong. Either way, this movie was very entertaining and the location was very beautiful.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 05:33:57 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: December 31, 2009, 06:13:36 PM »
i haven't watched many sherlock holmes movies, but i read the case of the bohemian something or other, and the one about the club of red haired men..from the trailer it seems pretty true to the books rather then the movie versions.

Reading the books, Sherlock holmes seems like more of a house type of character, a guy whos incredably intelligent, but is falling apart. Wheres the Hugh Lorry version(though, i guess Downey plays the same type of parts as of recent)
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 31, 2009, 07:45:09 PM »
To me, The Hangover was a poor man's version of Very Bad Things (which is awesome).
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: December 31, 2009, 11:25:07 PM »
Inglorious Basterds 9/10
I wasn't sure if i was going to like this one, but I was wrong to even think that. One could complain there is not much action, and thats its mostly dialog, but what little action there is over the top, and the dialog is some of the most clever stuff to ever come out of anybodies mouth in a movie.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: December 31, 2009, 11:51:08 PM »
^ almost like my review ;)
Inglorius Basterds - 9/10

I went in expecting more action, violence and out right carnage after seeing all the previews, but after an hour or so I remembered that this was a Quentin Tarantino film and the dialog is where the real action is at, even though there still was a fair amount of action in the movie.
It may seem to start off a little slow, but every scene has it's purpose in drawing you further into the story of the movie. Very well done.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 11:52:40 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #735 on: January 01, 2010, 02:24:13 AM »
District 9 is on iTunes and DVD now. I give it 5/5. It's the best movie of 09
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: January 01, 2010, 01:02:24 PM »
Cinderella: 4/5

I don't know why, but Cinderella is one of my Disney favorites. The heroine doesn't suck, the mice are awesome (Jaq and Gus of course), the dramatic scenes are great (the dress scene and the key scene), and Lady Tremaine is an awesome villain.

Cinderella 2: -100/5

Why?
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #737 on: January 01, 2010, 03:14:35 PM »
Jennifers Body - 7.25

Megan Fox was lookin soooo good in this movie, but I can't say the same for the blonde chick (the dumb blonde from Mean Girls). This movie really would have benefited if they had actually showed more of Jennifer's Body, but I guess we'll have to wait a little bit more for that to happen. But the movie itself wasn't bad and was actually quite entertaining. Some minor issues wit how certain situations where handled (like most horror movies) but they are easily over looked.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: January 01, 2010, 03:36:29 PM »
Up 3/5

Looked awesome on me new plasma, but the movie takes a bizarre turn once the dogs enter the picture.  The whole fight over the weird bird is a bit far fetched too.  The character of the old man seems more like the type to hand the bird over to his life long hero rather than fight him.  Also, the old man waited until after his wife died to go to Paradise Falls.  Fail.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #739 on: January 01, 2010, 07:00:50 PM »
It's Complicated

Better than I thought it would be, let's put it that way.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: January 01, 2010, 07:48:48 PM »
...The whole fight over the weird bird is a bit far fetched too..
And the part where he floated his entire house to South America using helium balloons wasn't?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: January 01, 2010, 09:31:05 PM »
Also, the old man waited until after his wife died to go to Paradise Falls.  Fail.

Actually, if you watch the opening montage, you'll see that he managed to scrape together the funds to buy plane tickets to South America late in life.  He was about to present them to her when she fell sick and died.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 01, 2010, 10:45:19 PM »
Sherlock Holmes Stuck closer to the Conan Doyle stories than I suspected. Downey is excellent as always. Guy Ritchie displays surprising talent. 3.5 Stars

Oh, here are spoilers for how the inevitable sequel ends:
Holmes and Moriarty plunge to their deaths over a waterfall

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 01, 2010, 10:56:30 PM »
Oh, here are spoilers for how the inevitable sequel ends:
Holmes and Moriarty plunge to their deaths over a waterfall

Until Holmes is revived and Moriarty cloned centuries later in a surprisingly decent TV series.  ;)

Seriously, the stories should have ended with that event you named, and Conan Doyle himself wanted them to.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 02, 2010, 04:29:40 AM »
...The whole fight over the weird bird is a bit far fetched too..
And the part where he floated his entire house to South America using helium balloons wasn't?

In only 24-hours too. Quite impressive.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 02, 2010, 05:38:10 AM »
9 - WTF is the point of this movie!?

Seriously. They create an issue, and spend the rest of the movie trying to solve it, but ultimately in the end, everything is the same as before. they try to explain some background for the story, but even that is lacking. This movie fails really hard in making you give a crap about any of the characters or giving anyone any sort of motivation to make an interesting plot.

I'm just gonna spoil the movie so you don't waste your time bothering to watch it.
Scientist creates machine that is like a brain. Army uses the machine to win a war. Machines turn on humans and destroy everyone except for it's creator. Brain Machine deactivates(no more humans to kill?). Creator (the scientist) captures pieces of his soul inside of a bunch of burlap sack puppets who then come to life(this is where the movie starts). They are the last hope for humanity(huh?). They wander around without purpose avoiding the last active machine(small cat like machine). the last puppet created(#9) re-activates the big brain machine on accident. Big Brain Machine tries to collect all their souls. They shut the machine down after losing 5 burlap puppets. he frees their souls and now they are free to live their lives. the end.

They were pretty much free to do what they did in the end in the beginning. So I'm really not sure what was the point of this movie. What was the Brain Machines motivation for capturing all the souls, what happens when it does? How are these burlap puppets the last hope for humanity? Why was this movie made when even though the movie short story it was based off of didn't make much sense but basically told the exact same story?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 05:45:46 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #746 on: January 02, 2010, 03:08:18 PM »
They were pretty much free to do what they did in the end in the beginning. So I'm really not sure what was the point of this movie. What was the Brain Machines motivation for capturing all the souls, what happens when it does? How are these burlap puppets the last hope for humanity? Why was this movie made when even though the movie short story it was based off of didn't make much sense but basically told the exact same story?

The brain machine killed everyone because it didn't have a soul or some ****.  The scientist used some kind of black magic (lol) to put his soul in to the puppets so that the machine could have a soul and restore life on Earth (somehow).  The puppets figured this out (I think) but were all like "**** that" because they didn't want to "die" just to try and bring humans back. So, then they decide to control their own destiny and do with the Earth as they wanted.  Humans aren't worth it, is the point.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 02, 2010, 04:49:15 PM »
Was that explained in the movie, how the machine would somehow restore humanity(after it killed all the humans) once it got a soul or is that just the reasoning that you came up with? How would a machine make humans?

I remember the part where they give the background on what happened and why and I don't remember them saying that specifically. I understand that the machine had no soul and he gave his soul to the 9 puppets, but why would the talisman work against the machine if it was designed to put the souls inside the machine? Why is everything all better now that the machine is gone when the machine wasn't a threat to them before 9 showed up?

You don't have to answer those questions. This movie just wasn't worth the time regardless of whatever the underlying message was.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #748 on: January 02, 2010, 09:21:50 PM »
Yeah, I totally read those spoilers because I've heard such on-the-fence opinions about the movie. I'm not really sure I want to see it now.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #749 on: January 02, 2010, 09:23:09 PM »
Was that explained in the movie, how the machine would somehow restore humanity(after it killed all the humans) once it got a soul or is that just the reasoning that you came up with? How would a machine make humans?

I remember the part where they give the background on what happened and why and I don't remember them saying that specifically. I understand that the machine had no soul and he gave his soul to the 9 puppets, but why would the talisman work against the machine if it was designed to put the souls inside the machine? Why is everything all better now that the machine is gone when the machine wasn't a threat to them before 9 showed up?

You don't have to answer those questions. This movie just wasn't worth the time regardless of whatever the underlying message was.

I will do so anyway!

The part about him wanting to put his soul in to the machine was "explained" but in parts.  He said that the machine was like a human brain but failed because it lacked a soul.  And if you'll remember, the machine was programed (at some point) to capture the dolls and take their souls (or piece of his soul).  Once it had all 9 parts of the scientist's soul something would happen hence 9 being humanity's last hope.  What exactly that was was not explained.

The remaining dolls are better off now because at least the first monster is dead, and there aren't any threats (that they know of) out there, leaving them free to explore and rule the Earth.

I don't really recall the talisman working against the machine, but I'm pretty sure it was the piece of the big one that ultimately allowed it to take the souls.  That's how the scientist used it, IIRC.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.