Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537995 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #700 on: December 24, 2009, 06:29:50 PM »
I think a 3 hour lecture on erectile dysfunction would give me Roseanne.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: December 24, 2009, 06:50:12 PM »
(500) Days of Summer - 8/10

I liked it. I went in thinking it was gonna be a romantic love-story drama with some slight comedic elements despite what the narrator at the beginning of the movie had to say, and overall it kinda was, but without all that sappy romantic stuff. It had it's funny moments and I like the way the story was told. I also like how it ended, changing of the seasons.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: December 25, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »
Never mind! i'll fix that later!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 06:54:15 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: December 26, 2009, 06:30:21 PM »
I Love You, Man - 9/10 - I'm a big fan of Paul Rudd, so this was an instant favorite of mine.  It actually gets funnier with multiple viewings, because much like something like Anchorman, you pick out the more ridiculous finer points of the dialogue and characters the second and third time around.  What I like is that all of the characters seem like real people, not the over-the-top caricatures of personality types that you see in most comedies.

The Hangover - 4/10 - I know people that think this movie is a laugh riot, but to me it's barely funny at all.  The characters aren't very interesting or likeable, and the plot seems to set itself up for a hilarious payoff, but that payoff never materializes.  Supposedly this movie is really quotable, but the quotes are all just characters saying stuff in a stupid voice instead of saying anything clever, IMHO.  Only about two or three scenes made me chuckle...for the rest of the movie I was surfing the web on my iPhone.  I'll never understand the appeal of this movie.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: December 26, 2009, 07:53:07 PM »
I would completely reverse those two scores.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #705 on: December 26, 2009, 10:14:18 PM »
Up in the Air

Great movie. George Cloony has endless appeal. Vera Farmiga ain't bad either. And the younger girl is a hoooooottie!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 27, 2009, 02:27:35 AM »
Happy Feet - 5/10 - Yeah...ummm...wow.  I got this for Christmas from my sister, who apparently is a big fan of this movie despite not really being a fan of animation.  I just finished watching it for the first time, and for the life of me I can't understand how people can love this movie.  This is the shining example of why over time I've learned to only watch Pixar CG Movies, because all the others suck: the story is lifeless and un-engaging, the message is delivered with all the subtlety of a nuclear missile (sorry, but when I sit down to watch an animated film about dancing penguins, I don't want to be lectured on how "evil humans are destroying the environment" (TM)), and the near-constant bombardment of pop music just destroys the illusion of the movie for me.  The animation is great for its time, but that's about it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 27, 2009, 09:48:43 AM »
I would completely reverse those two scores.

Just goes to show that these movies have two very different types of comedy.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 27, 2009, 10:14:34 AM »
Well that's true. Odd thing is, Paul Rudd is one of my favorite actors. I just thought the script was horrible and every issue in the movie was resolved way too easily.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #709 on: December 27, 2009, 11:15:31 AM »
Countdown to Liquor Day: If you like the Trailer Park boys, this is a great comedy.
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: December 27, 2009, 02:43:16 PM »
Up Sometimes I wonder if Walt Disney actually owned a Sorcerer's hat that imbued the holder with the power to make great animated movies. Around 1990, Disney sold some old boxes out of their attic and Pixar gained possession of Yensid's hat. There hasn't been a near twenty year run of such animated magic since the glory days of the Disney studios. Up gets Four Stars

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 27, 2009, 04:50:37 PM »
Up

I loved the first half of the movie, but once the talking dogs start flying around in WWII-era biplanes it got a bit too silly for its own good. 

3 stars
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 27, 2009, 09:08:16 PM »
WHERE IS YOUR SPIRIT OF ADVENTURE?

Four Christmases I like Vince Vaughn. I like Jon Favreau. I like Robert Duvall. I like Jon Voight. I like Mary Steenburgen, I like Kristin Chenoweth. I don't really care for Reese Witherspoon. Three Stars

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #713 on: December 27, 2009, 09:20:14 PM »
WHERE IS YOUR SPIRIT OF ADVENTURE?

Four Christmases I like Vince Vaughn. I like Jon Favreau. I like Robert Duvall. I like Jon Voight. I like Mary Steenburgen, I like Kristin Chenoweth. I don't really care for Reese Witherspoon. Three Stars

I saw that movie over Thanksgiving thanks to my crap-loving parents, and I really didn't like it.  It's formulaic and fond of tired LCD jokes and stereotypes.

As for UP, I had the same issue with it that Vudu has (and, for that matter, the same issue I had with Wall-E): it starts strong, but runs out of steam and into cliche and silliness around the halfway point (plus, I really hate Russel).  Compared to stuff like my recently-watched Happy Feet, it is a work of art though.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #714 on: December 28, 2009, 01:53:55 AM »
Saw GI Joe for the first time. I'll give it a 7.5 out of 10. Love the kung fu grip line. Hated the ending, almost as bad as Vader screaming Noooooooo.... The efffects were decent, the action kept the story moving, even if the story was lame. Happy I saw it.

Also saw Ice Age 3. Pretty funny, decent animation even if not Pixar. It gets a 7 out of 10.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: December 29, 2009, 02:27:42 PM »
The Hangover - 7.9
Slightly over rated but still a good comedy. I would have enjoyed it more if I didn't go in expecting anything.

Welcome to the Dollhouse - 5
Sad to see that the lead actress (the girl that was hung upside down and drained in Hostel 2/DJ's girlfriend in Roseanne) is not only very unattractive now but wasn't even cute as a little girl. This movie also wasn't funny at all.

Blazing Saddles - 7
I didn't find it as funny today as I did many years ago when I first watched it, but it still had some choice quote and is still one of Mel Brooks funnier films
"They said you was hung"
"And they was right"

Ice Pirates - 7
Enjoyable 80's action/adventure flick. Lots of funny little things throughout, mostly involving the robots, but the Passion Storm scene is pretty hot and the final fight scene is pretty funny.

-last 3 movies is me clearing out my Instant Watch queue since movies are about to expire-

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #716 on: December 29, 2009, 02:42:58 PM »
I think my wife has Four Christmases in the Netflix...list. I'll watch it ONLY for Kristin Chenoweth, for whom I have a secret crush. She's adorable and funny, and has a habit of wearing incredibly low-cut tops.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: December 29, 2009, 08:54:51 PM »
Avatar  I freakin' loved it. So it was a Disney story, biiiggg deal. I like Disney stories. I thought Pandora is where the meat of the awesome was. Basically the creative portion of the movie, and the only portion with any interesting depth. Pandora was definitely more interesting than Middle Earth.

At least they tied in everything I can think of that they mentioned, and I appreciate that for a 3 hour movie.  Also, unfortunately I think I fell in love with Neytiri which sucks, I hate it when that happens >.> It should be illegal to make fake people that beautiful.

9.5 / 10
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: December 29, 2009, 08:59:45 PM »
if anybody should make a Zelda movie, it should be James Cameron. Imagine the Zoras!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: December 29, 2009, 09:41:05 PM »
Welcome to the Dollhouse - 5
Sad to see that the lead actress (the girl that was hung upside down and drained in Hostel 2/DJ's girlfriend in Roseanne) is not only very unattractive now but wasn't even cute as a little girl. This movie also wasn't funny at all.

I saw that a long time ago.  I remember feeling just gross after wards.  The same girl though is kinda cute in Princess Diaries.  Kind of.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: December 30, 2009, 03:44:41 AM »
if anybody should make a Zelda movie, it should be James Cameron. Imagine the Zoras!

Oh gawd plz no. I seriously HATE it when I fall in love with a character in a movie. HATE IT. I really avoid movies where I hear that can happen. Its no annoying, it brings me down for the next 24+ hrs.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: December 30, 2009, 08:07:02 AM »
Sherlock Holmes - 8. Robert Downey Jr OWNED this movie. Everything else just didn't stand up to his brilliance.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: December 30, 2009, 10:05:46 AM »
Sherlock Holmes - 8. Robert Downey Jr OWNED this movie. Everything else just didn't stand up to his brilliance.

Do you think a fan of the classic Sherlock Holmes stories can enjoy this movie?  I grew up with the books and Basil Rathhbone (via the 1930s-1940s Sherlock Holmes Radio Dramas) as my Sherlock, and the moment I saw the trailer for this movie I didn't like it.  It just looked like they tried to turn Holmes into more of an action hero with silly jokes, but maybe it was just a bad trailer?

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #723 on: December 30, 2009, 01:59:52 PM »
Hehehe...no better version of Sherlock than "The Great Mouse Detective." FACT.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: December 30, 2009, 02:11:21 PM »
Hehehe...no better version of Sherlock than "The Great Mouse Detective." FACT.

A great adaptation of Sherlock Holmes to be sure, but to me "The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" is probably the best version of the character I've ever [heard].  You should look it up sometime and hear Rathbone's (who also played Holmes in the movies at the time) classic take on the character.  Nigel Bruce's take on Watson is very soothing as well.