Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1538298 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #600 on: November 21, 2009, 01:32:27 AM »
pirate radio: initial rating walking out of the theatre was 10/10

but on second thought].. its hard to put a number on it. It was very entertaining but pretty slow at times; it lacked story, but pulled you in anyway.. very odd...

phillip seymour hoffman = the man
bill nighy = the man
nick frost = the man

the whole cast was great, all the characters helped pull you in to the movie despite the limited plot and by the end of it you wish there was more, cuz they were all just so fun.

i also have to mention that the music was fantastic, and actually made me wish i grew up in an era where music had such an impact on society.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: November 21, 2009, 02:37:29 PM »
Turtles Forever - 9/10

1980's Turtles meet up with the 2000's Turtles and together fight The Shredder(s).
This brought back such memories and pointed out how ridiculous the old turtles cartoon was back in the 80's.
It was great. It also puts all the animation & character differences side by side which also reminds you of how enjoyable and memorable the 80's turtles really were. If you are a fan watch it.

TheCW will be re-airing it in half hour episodes over the next 3 saturdays.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #602 on: November 21, 2009, 08:17:21 PM »
I just watched it too, BlackNMild. I loved it. The word "epic" nicely describes it. There were SO many hat-tips to the 80's show and the old Mirage comic that I was having geekgasms every few minutes. There were even a few line-for-line homages that I loved. There's a DVD coming out, and I'm going to buy it on Day One.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 22, 2009, 04:17:46 PM »
i gotta watch this, i used to loooove 80s turtles back in the day.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 23, 2009, 01:38:53 PM »
Double Indemnity - 3.5 stars

Classic film noir.  Some of the dialog comes off as a bit cheesy and forced but it's just the style.  Once you stop thinking about it too much it almost becomes second nature.

But the plot to kill the husband is just silly--no wonder they got caught!  (This isn't a spoiler--the main character tells you in the first couple minutes of the movie how it ends--the bulk of the movie is a flashback.)

Really makes me want to watch Sunset Blvd again.  :)

Which reminds me ...

Ben-Hur[ The chariot race is one of the most intense things ever filmed. no CGI, just real people getting trampled by real horses. Four and Half Stars.

What happened to ShyGuy's classic movie reviews?  Did his Netflix subscription run out?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: November 23, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
I love Double Indemnity especially because of the awesome dialogue. It's always baby. "Shut up, baby."

I miss Shyguy's movie captions as well. I had watched a bunch of movies and got behind making comments on them so I kind of stopped. Maybe that's what happened with him as well.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: November 23, 2009, 02:53:26 PM »
I love Double Indemnity especially because of the awesome dialogue. It's always baby. "Shut up, baby."

This made me laugh.  Mainly because it's true.  ;D

As I said, it sounds forced at first, but once you accept that it's the style of the film it works remarkably well.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 24, 2009, 07:19:36 PM »
:O I was just on a noir kick recently. Watch The Maltese Falcon guys.. and Chinatown of course.

Last movie I watched (finally): 500 Days of Summer. Surprisingly good (and funny)!

Best line: "I think you know what I need ........... uh, toner."
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 24, 2009, 07:21:05 PM »
Last movie I watched (finally): 500 Days of Summer. Surprisingly good (and funny)!

Best line: "I think you know what I need ........... uh, toner."

finally someone else that saw and enjoyed the movie!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #609 on: November 25, 2009, 08:30:13 AM »
Turtles Forever - 9/10

1980's Turtles meet up with the 2000's Turtles and together fight The Shredder(s).
This brought back such memories and pointed out how ridiculous the old turtles cartoon was back in the 80's.
It was great. It also puts all the animation & character differences side by side which also reminds you of how enjoyable and memorable the 80's turtles really were. If you are a fan watch it.

What time is it going to show on Saturday?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: November 25, 2009, 10:39:40 AM »
:O I was just on a noir kick recently. Watch The Maltese Falcon guys.. and Chinatown of course.

Who do you think you are talking to? Of course I've watched that. The Maltese Falcon that is. Vudu didn't think highly of Chinatown and I trust his opinion.

Some other good Noir picks off the top of my head. The Big Sleep, The Big Heat, and Out of the Past.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: November 25, 2009, 12:13:07 PM »
Anyone have any recommendations for good cheesy sci-fi movies from the 50s or 60s?  I say good because I recently saw It Came From Outerspace, and--while cheesy--I cannot say that it was good.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: November 25, 2009, 12:51:19 PM »
Fantastic Voyage? Forbidden Planet? Is that the kind of cheese you're looking for? Is that good good or good bad?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: November 25, 2009, 01:32:16 PM »
Turtles Forever - 9/10

What time is it going to show on Saturday?

I think it airs at 10am, but you might want to check your local TV guide.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #614 on: November 25, 2009, 01:36:43 PM »
Thanks BlackNMild. I'll probably just wake up early.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: November 25, 2009, 02:44:18 PM »
forbidden planet 8/10 - that monster was badassed..they should have used cartoons as monsters in movies instead of clay stop motion, cus it looked fantastic
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: November 29, 2009, 01:37:33 AM »
ninja assassin:

action: 7/10
plot:    2/10

oh well.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: November 29, 2009, 12:35:19 PM »
ninja assassin 8/10

it gets points for reminding me of 70s Italian Giallo movies, never seen a Giallo movie?

Check out Tenebrae 9/10

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:42:46 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: November 29, 2009, 03:13:18 PM »
I'm should deduct points for finding out that the seemingly badass Rain (main character) is a pop singer.. lol

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: November 29, 2009, 06:23:38 PM »
I think there's something you should watch.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #620 on: November 29, 2009, 06:33:42 PM »
hahah yeah i heard about that. But still ;)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: November 29, 2009, 06:46:53 PM »
Blood Work - One of those movies that happened to come on HBO while I'm drinking coffee in bed on a Sunday.  Directed by and starring Clint Eastwood in what can best be described as a poor man's Dirty Harry, if DH was an elderly heart transplant patient.  Terrible dialogue, overacting galore, and if you want cop-movie cliches they're all here.  Watchable if you're just looking for something to pass the time (and feel like laughing at cop movie cliches), but still pretty awful. 4/10

Gran Torino - Seems like it's Clint Eastwood week for some reason.  Eastwood does his best "crusty old man" here, which is good for a laugh (especially the racist one-liners - Kashogi should watch this movie with a pad and pen).  Predictable ending, but entirely not the movie I thought it would be (in a good way).  Not great, but good.  If you're an Eastwood fan (I'd say I'm a casual Eastwood fan, he's had a LOT of **** movies but I like him in general) you'll enjoy it, but some may think it's utterly average and predictable.  7/10
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: November 29, 2009, 06:52:42 PM »
^I've seen it twice. Thanks.

Also, I don't think you know, but that "racial slurs" thread was a trap -- an unsprung trap, but a trap none-the-less.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: November 29, 2009, 09:55:30 PM »
Nanny Diaries 4/5.  Had Scarlett not been in it, 2/5.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: November 29, 2009, 11:13:40 PM »
I love Gran Torino and the racial slurs was the icing on the cake. Without them I would have given the movie a 6 instead of a 9. His casual racism gave his character charm and depth without being insulting. Most of his slurs are archahic and born out of a real, but expired need to use them. I was laughing out loud from the unintentional comedy of it all.

I never felt that the ending was predicable unless you are meaning that you figured it out 5 minutes before it happened. You knew the situtaion was going to be resolved, but you didn't know what the body count would be until that last 5 minutes.

I did see Blood Work although I almost forgot that I watched it in the first place. You are right, hence why I almost forgot about the movie, seeing that it was so forgetable. He must have been learning the ropes seeing that his later movies have been good to excellent.

And to my un-look forward too and promised review of

Behind Enemy lines 2: Axis of Evil

If you haven't figured out by now, the title is based off the quote GWB made regarding Iran, Iraq and North Korea. This movie is set in NK seeing that is one country we can freely insult without harm.

If you ever seen the first movie staring Owen Wilson and Gene Hackman. It's a pretty good war movie about Owen going off mission in a recon flight over Bosnia and getting shot down for his troubles. It had a good budget, charm, characters, action and most importantly military support allowing them to "rent" military hardware for their movie making one kick ass package with an ending that screams USAUSAUSA.

This movie has none of that. It's low budget, dry, boring, at points stupid and has stock footage military support. The script is written by hacks, it's directed by hacks, it's acted by hacks and some good actors who needed the money who then phoned it in because they weren't given enough money.

The plot and ending is based on this event http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3648794.stm

Made for TV mini series are better than this, which somehow made a thearatrical release. This aborted messed should have never been made.

I did rent this for a 1 dollar with expectations low enough to wipe floors with, but it's so poor that I feel that I have a moral imperative to warn poeple away from this red, white and blue colored turd of the movie that fails even to be an effective right-wing propaganda movie.

Just fraking terrible/10
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?