Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537546 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #325 on: September 08, 2009, 07:28:37 PM »
The special effects don't hold up?!? There is more heart and soul in each one of those stop-motion maquettes than any CG monstrosity. I love old-school Harryhousen/Tippet effects. I'm excited about the remake too, but I hope they use SOME stop-motion as an homage.

Anyway...
Re-watched "Mimic." Doesn't quite hold up today. The effects are Sci-Fi channel quality. The bugs kill everybody except Mira Sorvina? Com'on.

haha the first time I watched Mimic was in theaters, we walked out.

I didn't know about how they(movie theaters) do things though...i mean. The theater had cropped the film wrong, so we could see the microphone bobbing at the top of the screen for the 66% of the movie we watched. I couldn't take the film seriously. Out of nowhere microphone just came in as a character all comically. It was there like the whole time. The audience was laughing at it.

At the time i thought the movie was just poorly made, but now i know that they always leave the microphone in and it was the theater's doing for not adjusting the projector right.  I eventually watched it later on home video.

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 09, 2009, 01:53:21 AM »
Sunset Boulevard Older Actress get a boy toy. Four Stars

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington Jimmy Stewart brings me to tears. Five stars.

Apparently ShyGuy doesn't know that five is a bigger number than 4.  No way is Mr. Smith better than Sunset Blvd!

I have to agree with Shyguy on this one. Except for the crying part. That would be It's A Wonderful Life. I still choke up at the end of that movie. Of course, I am more familiar with Mr. Smith vs Sunset Blvd. I only just saw Sunset Blvd about a year or so ago whereas I have seen Mr. Smith about 4 times so I can remember it more.

That said, I'd like to go back and make a comment about a couple of films. All About Eve and Sunset Blvd. I recently saw All About Eve around the start of the year. What I took away from that movie was a contrast between actors that had come before and actors that were coming. Bette Davis is an actress because she likes it. Eve is an actress because she wants to be like Bette Davis. At the end of the movie with the young school girl looking in the mirror, that cycle is being repeated a thousandfold.

I remember thinking about Micheal Jackson after Sunset Blvd. Him and a few other famous figures who were no longer at the heights they were before. It seemed to be a tale of how people like that can never seem to let go off their past when they were big. They still desire attention and will do much to get it. In fact, a scandal is welcome since it brings them back to the front of the cameras. In fact, there were many other things about celebrity it seemed to comment on but that was the idea that stuck with me the most after seeing it.

If I may make some movie suggestions, I would like to hear Shyguy's thoughts on Patton and Amadeus. If you watch Lawrence of Arabia, make sure it is on a widescreen. I also watched that again earlier in the year and this time on a nice widescreen tv and it was much better experience. That's why I was asking which movies you had left to see. I was curious what to expect. Also, are you going by the original 100 list or the updated version?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 09, 2009, 02:16:10 AM »
This is the list the contest is taking place over. http://connect.afi.com/site/DocServer/100Movies.pdf?docID=301

It's too much work for me to list the 50+ movies I've already seen.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 09, 2009, 02:28:17 AM »
actually I watched Lawrence of Arabia right before I watched the boy in the striped pyjamas, I don't know how i forgot to mention it

Lawrence of Arabia 10/10 good in a Citizen Kane sort of way

speaking of..

Citizen Kane 10/10 good in a Citizen Kane sort of way

right after I watched the boy in striped pyjamas I watch Kubriks The Shining
Now I had seen the shining a dozen times, but often times I was distracted doing other things like cleaning and organizing..it was just sort of running in the background. This time I decided to do nothing, but sit and watch it the whole way through. i did intermission though in the middle of the movie to make a sandwich, but i didn't miss 1 instant. I even noticed the helicopter blades in the intro.  Shining 8.8/10

While I'm reviewing Kubrik movies A Clockwork Orange 10/10..good stuff

2001: Space Odyssey... I'll have to rewatch it, I fell asleep during the movie and woke up realizing that I had to take it back immediately since it was late. I had spent the whole day cleaning

Dr. Strange Love... 8/10 hillarious movie

Full Metal Jacket 9/10 I should watch it again.

--------
Capricorn One 8/10 some of the monologues are pretty good, a little aged of a movie, but I liked it

"Defcon 4"   8/10         I don't want to give it an 8 because its so cheap/cheesy at the same time it had some pretty cool post apocalyptic scenarios. When I was reading walking dead the President character totally reminded me of the villian dude from defcon 4

Night of the Comet 8/10 for quality 10/10 for Nostalgia

Delicatessen 8/10 another great post apocalyptic..its funny i was looking at a website where this artist drew various pictures of characters from various movies, and I noticed the main character from Delicatessen, If I hadn't watched the movie the day before I wouldn't have noticed and laughed. It was on a completely unrelated google search too. Funny how things you filtered out pop up so frequently once they become known.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:43:58 AM by ThePerm »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 09, 2009, 03:09:03 AM »
West Side Story Whites and Puerto Ricans try to kill each other with dance, then move on to more effective means. Two stars.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 03:16:40 AM by ShyGuy »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: September 09, 2009, 04:27:11 AM »
Garbage Pail Kids: The Movie - WTF/10

I owe myself some time back for sitting through most of it, but it had about 1 or 2 lulz out of it.
One of those movies you question why it was ever made. One of those movies you question why you ever watched.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 09, 2009, 08:10:12 AM »
Garbage Pail Kids: The Movie - WTF/10

I owe myself some time back for sitting through most of it, but it had about 1 or 2 lulz out of it.
One of those movies you question why it was ever made. One of those movies you question why you ever watched.

One of those movies I question why I own..

Oh thats right, it was a gag gift for my brother who used to collect those cards almost religiously. We watched it together but he never took it home with him, so its sitting in my room collecting dust.

Definately agree with your score.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 09, 2009, 08:18:15 AM »
An American Werewolf in Paris - 7.5/10

I could have sworn I've seen this movie before a long time ago, and I might have, but I don't remember it being so funny. Not unintentional funny like some horror movies are, but this one is like a comedy that revolves around werewolves. It was a fun movie to watch. Now I have to put the original on my Netflix list since I can't Instant Watch it like I did this one, even though I've seen the original before..

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 09, 2009, 01:58:40 PM »
Do The Right Thing

Worst opening credit sequence ever out of OMG Spike Lee's wearing spandex bicycle shorts throughout the entire film (roughly translates to a 3.5)

I enjoyed the movie but it definitely has its roots firmly planted in the 80s.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 09, 2009, 02:09:21 PM »
This is the list the contest is taking place over. http://connect.afi.com/site/DocServer/100Movies.pdf?docID=301

I've seen 67 of these movies.

Funny enough, there's a span of 10 of them--from 56 to 65--that I missed.  I found it weird that they lined up that way.

Also, Sunset Blvd. is listed at #16; Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is #26.  I was right.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 09, 2009, 03:02:16 PM »
I haven't seen any of those movies that fall before 1970 with the exceptions of
Psycho(1960), Wizard of Oz(1939), In the Heat of the Night(1967), Snow White(1937), High Noon(1952), 2001: ASO(1968),

I didn't count how many of the movies I have seen altogether yet though.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 09, 2009, 03:06:04 PM »
Also, Sunset Blvd. is listed at #16; Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is #26.  I was right.

Not to be political, but I think this makes you a communist, vudu. You're going to be blacklisted. By me. Around the head and neck area.

Tonight is either in the Heat of the Night or Sophie's Choice. Stay tuned!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 09, 2009, 03:07:05 PM »

Not to be political, but I think this makes you a communist, vudu. You're going to be blacklisted. By me. Around the head and neck area.

Let Sophie choose for you.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 09, 2009, 04:23:29 PM »

Bah! I like the original list better. Now you won't see Dr. Zhivago.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 09, 2009, 10:08:27 PM »
Mallrats --> 5/5 - Still fresh.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 10, 2009, 02:45:35 AM »
Sophie's Choice Sophie chooses Coke over Pepsi. Four Stars.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 10, 2009, 04:06:43 AM »
she should have chosen RC, or DR. Pepper

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 11, 2009, 01:30:12 AM »
Rambo - 673/10
Ok, more like a 7/10, but it was pretty gripping to watch. Could have been a little longer, at least they're making another one.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 11, 2009, 02:39:50 AM »
In the Heat of the Night Riggs and Murtaugh solve a murder. Four Stars.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 11, 2009, 09:18:11 AM »
Rambo - 673/10
Ok, more like a 7/10, but it was pretty gripping to watch. Could have been a little longer, at least they're making another one.

You mean its the newest Rambo you watched? Just making sure. That movie was pretty decent, I wouldn't mind seeing its sequel.. But god Stallone is so old.. yeesh.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 11, 2009, 01:19:10 PM »
Rambo - 673/10

You mean its the newest Rambo you watched? Just making sure. That movie was pretty decent, I wouldn't mind seeing its sequel.. But god Stallone is so old.. yeesh.

I would rate the last Rambo movie higher than a 7, but I have to re-watch it to score it. It was well made, it built up the tension before exploding it with a .50 cal machine gun. Sure Stallone didn't take his shirt off, but he did us a favor.

I am pretty mixed on the sequel though since 4 ended, well, it ended. He finally went home. He did something special with 4 and it feels like this will end up as a Diehard 4.0. Sure he's in it and he says his lines, but it's just not Diehard/Rambo.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 11, 2009, 01:38:34 PM »
Crank 2: High Voltage - Fun/10

If you completely dismiss the ridiculousness of what is happening and just go with it, thisis a very enjoyable movie. If you like the first one :thumbsup; this one literally picks up where the last one left off and turns up the WTFLOL meter to 11. movie spoilers ahead*There is a UltraMan scene for crying out loud.* and it was hilariously ridiculous right down to *the little clay people and their giant deformed faces*. This whole movie was really an exercise to see how many different ways Chev Chelios could electrocute himself, but it was a really fun movie to watch the entire time.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 01:40:28 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 11, 2009, 02:19:10 PM »
WTF BnM? I just watched my copy of Crank 2 also. Watched all the extras too. Can'twaitforCrank3/10.

movie spoilers ahead*There is a UltraMan scene for crying out loud.*

No, it's not. It's in reference to kaiju battles, and not just the one you mentioned.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 11, 2009, 02:29:17 PM »
its a ultraman like scene. Giants in low budget props like godzilla movies. I have no idea what kaiju battles are.

Either way. a very fun movie that obviously doesn't take itself seriously.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 11, 2009, 02:50:01 PM »
Agree with the Crank 2 scores. I never saw the first one until literally the day part 2 came out. I went out, bought the DVD and watched it, then headed off to the theatre to watch the sequel. It was pretty fucking awesome. Favorite moments: Full body turrets