Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537592 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #300 on: September 05, 2009, 08:49:07 PM »
District 9 9/10

The main character....this is his first acting gig aside from a short....wow.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 05, 2009, 08:59:06 PM »
District 9 9/10

The main character....this is his first acting gig aside from a short....wow.

I believe he adlibed most everything as well.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 06, 2009, 04:05:37 PM »
Sunset Boulevard Older Actress get a boy toy. Four Stars

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 06, 2009, 07:07:49 PM »
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas 10/10

all i can say is WOW
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 06, 2009, 11:32:31 PM »
Bring it On!
4/5 - Had it not been for the casting of Eliza Dushku, it would have landed a 1/5.  She is my Megan Fox.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 07, 2009, 12:02:16 AM »

all i can say is WOW

Ya. I know, right?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 07, 2009, 12:09:59 AM »

all i can say is WOW

Ya. I know, right?

I just added it to my Netflix Instant Watch list.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 07, 2009, 01:40:02 AM »
The Soloist - 8.5/10

Duplicity- 6/10
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 07, 2009, 03:15:01 AM »
Lethal Weapon 2 DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY!!! 3 Stars.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 07, 2009, 03:18:24 AM »
Disclosure
3/5 - Predictable.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 08, 2009, 02:42:52 AM »
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington Jimmy Stewart brings me to tears. Five stars.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 08, 2009, 02:54:15 AM »
Clash of the Titans - 7.5/10

I love Greek Mythology and I'm looking forward to the remake of this coming out soon just because some of the special effects really don't hold up too well and this movie deserves a quality remake.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 02:57:07 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 08, 2009, 02:59:34 AM »
Clash of the Titans - 7.5/10

I love Greek Mythology and I'm looking forward to the remake of this coming out soon just because some of the special effects really don't hold up too well and this movie deserves a quality remake.

I love Greek Mythology as well (Wish there were more video games set in it! Heck I'd like more movies based on Greek Mythology) and I'm really looking forward to the remake.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 08, 2009, 09:25:38 AM »
My Boss' Daughter (on comedy central) 1/10

I hate this movie, its so stupid. It was on in the background and I didn't bother to change it, and happened to catch a scene/joke I never saw before (I've never actually seen the whole movie in one sitting, its just on so much that I've caught most of it).

(Scene) Ashton's character is outside his boss' house after his pet owl flies away, and the rest of the cast tries to calm him down.

(Ashton, with 3 random blondes walking past him, his back turned) "This is no time to relax, OJ is on the loose!"

(Blondes) Look of panic is on their eyes as they scatter

The joke actually made me chuckle so I gave it a pity point. Aside from that this movie is terrible, then again what do you expect from Ashton Kutcher and Tara Reid? Poor Andy Richter though.. he deserves better crap than this.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #314 on: September 08, 2009, 01:37:58 PM »
The special effects don't hold up?!? There is more heart and soul in each one of those stop-motion maquettes than any CG monstrosity. I love old-school Harryhousen/Tippet effects. I'm excited about the remake too, but I hope they use SOME stop-motion as an homage.

Anyway...

Re-watched "Mimic." Doesn't quite hold up today. The effects are Sci-Fi channel quality. The bugs kill everybody except Mira Sorvina? Com'on.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: September 08, 2009, 01:55:50 PM »

Apparently ShyGuy doesn't know that five is a bigger number than 4.  No way is Mr. Smith better than Sunset Blvd!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 08, 2009, 02:38:49 PM »
The special effects don't hold up?!? There is more heart and soul in each one of those stop-motion maquettes than any CG monstrosity. I love old-school Harryhousen/Tippet effects. I'm excited about the remake too, but I hope they use SOME stop-motion as an homage.

I said some of the effects didn't hold up too well. Like Posieden turning the crank under water, when claymation was in the foreground and video was highly degraded running in the back. All the claymation was top notch and I had no issue with any of that. It was the video layering where most of the problems lay.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 08, 2009, 03:20:06 PM »
Hate stop motion. So I'll include all stop motion effects as well. Also did I mention I hate elitist crap bashing CGI? A lot of work goes into good CGI as well. Like stop motion there are some that are OK (Never good IMO, I hated stop motion before CGI was even thought of) and some that is terrible.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 03:21:49 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 08, 2009, 03:29:42 PM »
The Stop-motion was top notch for when it took place, and stop motion was a painstakingly slow process up until the last 10 years or so. But modern big budget CGI will do wonders for a movie like this if the movie is handled properly. With the people involved, I have confidence they will do this movie justice and hopefully make it many times better than the original.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 08, 2009, 03:34:38 PM »
The Stop-motion was top notch for when it took place, and stop motion was a painstakingly slow process up until the last 10 years or so. But modern big budget CGI will do wonders for a movie like this if the movie is handled properly. With the people involved, I have confidence they will do this movie justice and hopefully make it many times better than the original.

I know stop-motion takes a lot of work doesn't mean I have to like watching it. The trouble with Stop-motion is that it was kind of limited in what you could do with it. Personally my favorite types of movies are with a good mix of CGI and traditional special effects such as animatronics. Hopefully they do spend a lot of time on the CGI in the Titan movie, the technology is definitely there, it just needs a lot of work to put together some good visuals.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #320 on: September 08, 2009, 05:20:15 PM »
It's not for everybody, although another big plus to SM effects is that because each maquette is very expensive to build, the effects are used fairly sparingly, which forces directors and writers to build suspense in other ways. You don't see that very much anymore.

Advances in maquette building (which is molded now, not individually sculpted), cheaper production costs, and digital cameras have made SM much more practical today. I mean, there's been a comeback: Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride, Wallace & Gromit, Coraline, and The Fantastic Mr. Fox (coming soon). There are things you can do with SM that you can't do in CG and vice versa. They both have their place.

What I really miss is traditional 2D animated movies. What makes me happy is that every since John Lassater took over Disney, he's been making strides in bringing it back. Look for a new traditional Disney movie...complete with a new princess...soon.

FUN FACT!

Jurassic Park was going to be done, originally, with SM maquettes. If you have the DVD, you can watch Phil Tippet's original "raptors in the kitchen" sequence with SM raptors. Aside from the silly varanid tongues, it looks pretty cool. And that's just test footage!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 08, 2009, 05:32:41 PM »
How can you leave out Robot Chicken!?

&  dont believe there is anything you can do with SM that you can't do with CG and do it better. You can make CG look like SM if you want. With CG, time, tech & imagination is the only barriers you have.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #322 on: September 08, 2009, 05:57:10 PM »
Well, okay, here's an assignment:

Go watch "Wallance & Gromit and the Curse of the Were-Rabbit," then watch "Flushed Away," which is CG trying imitate SM, including by using different mouths instead of a single ever-changing mouth.

There's a "sheen" to the CG look that's not present in SM.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 08, 2009, 06:18:15 PM »
that sounds like they didn't have enough time to get the effect they wanted, or maybe it was exactly as they wanted it. Either way, with enough time & talent on the right equipment with a big enough budget, there is nothing they can't do with CG today.

Which is probably why they went with CG on Jurrasic Park over the not as impressive or lifelike Claymation.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 08, 2009, 06:37:24 PM »

Apparently ShyGuy doesn't know that five is a bigger number than 4.  No way is Mr. Smith better than Sunset Blvd!

Mr Smith Goes to Washington was the better movie. But they were both spectacular. I have a four star scale but occasionaly a movie exceeds that scale and gets higher than four stars. Think of it this way: Resident Evil Four would be Four Stars. Super Mario Bros 3 would be Five Stars.