Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537987 times)

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #225 on: August 19, 2009, 12:27:11 PM »
The creature effects are AWESOME. I loved the designs, especially Cthulhu (at the end!). Very Lovecraftian.

Really? I remember walking away from the movie thinking they were amongst some of the worst looking effects I have seen in a modern film.

Also yeah D9 is goooood. It deserves all the hype and recognition it gets, unlike films like Trashfarmers Poo.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 19, 2009, 11:42:52 PM »
the myst has cthulhu in it? That alone warrants a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxScTbIUvoA
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 20, 2009, 07:54:13 AM »
the myst has cthulhu in it? That alone warrants a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxScTbIUvoA

Thats what gotten me interested in seeing it actually.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 21, 2009, 06:03:07 PM »
District 9

An apartheid metaphor with all the movie fixings; conspiracies, action, heroism and remorse. It's even more impressive by how well directed it was considering it is from a new comer on a tight a budget. Go see this movie.

9/10
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 22, 2009, 02:21:57 AM »
The Haunting in Connecticut 7.5/10. I normally hate these type of movies, but i found the plot a little better developed than the usual fair. points taken away for jump points that don't make you jump.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #230 on: August 22, 2009, 04:12:25 PM »
Inglorious Bastards: 9.5/10

Quentin Tarantino does is again.  Gorey, graphic and generally awesome.  Well written characters, involved plots and surprise twists make this a must see.  Also, the acting was great.

Could've used more Nazi killing, though.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #231 on: August 22, 2009, 04:24:37 PM »
^good to hear, i'll be seeing it this weekend.

The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard 6/10

Not a great movie, but just slightly above average. Some of the dialogue was raunchier than i would've expected, which made it funnier in that "wow i can't believe they went there" type of way. The storyline wasn't great either but geez.. they still somehow managed to let it fall thru. Lots of cliche storytelling moments that were used for run-on gags that felt stale very early on.

All in all it was a decent movie to see with friends or whoever, perhaps you might enjoy it even more if you were to have a few drinks beforehand, but I doubt it's the kind of movie you'll want to see over and over again.

Better or worse than The Hangover IYO?

Worse.

The Goods: 8/10

Loved it, but it followed the typical formula for comedies.

Lol i agree, but i just felt wrong give it that high of a score.

I give it an 8 because it's one of those movies I can watch over and over on DVD just for the dialogue.  Definitely not as good as the Hangover, but I still feel that an 8 was appropriate for replay value.  You can have it on and do other things since it's not at all plot heavy.  Plus, it was exactly what I expected.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 23, 2009, 02:20:23 PM »
Thats where we differ, i probably wouldn't jump at the chance to own this on dvd. If it starts playing on basic cable a few years from now, I'd rewatch it but its not worth owning for me. Not sure why though, because usually I like these types of comedies (not too plot heavy, let it play in the background and enjoy the dialogue).

District 9 = 10/What the Fook man!

So good. Can't say anything that hasn't already been said already in this thread.

Next movie i'll be seeing: Inglorious Basterds
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 23, 2009, 07:42:37 PM »
Casablanca. One the best movies of all time five stars.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 24, 2009, 02:10:16 AM »
Coraline 6:10. I watched it with my daughter. It's fun, the animation is absolutely amazing, and the voicework is done well. The bad things are then ending is too short and seems like it was either over-edited, or possibly rushed. Oh well, it's a kid's movie.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #235 on: August 24, 2009, 09:51:05 AM »
Brandogg = older than I thought

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 24, 2009, 01:12:30 PM »
He's still younger, and better at the drums than you.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #237 on: August 24, 2009, 04:47:47 PM »
Coraline 6:10. I watched it with my daughter. It's fun, the animation is absolutely amazing, and the voicework is done well. The bad things are then ending is too short and seems like it was either over-edited, or possibly rushed. Oh well, it's a kid's movie.

That's kind of an insult to the genre. Just because it's animated doesn't mean it's a kid's movie. I mean, I understand where the cliche came from (pre-Pixar Disney), but the genre has grown. There are some dark themes in Coraline that are better understood by adults. Anything by Neil Gaiman has something for everyone.

The Fantastic Mr. Fox is coming out later this year (or early next year). It's also stop-motion animation and will be directed by (shudder) Wes Anderson. I expect the man will turn the original Roald Dahl storybook into a dysfunctional family soap opera. Boy, I wonder if Jason Schwartzman and Owen Wilson will be involved somehow...

OH WAIT YES THEY WILL. /facepalm
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 24, 2009, 05:05:47 PM »
Van Wilder: Freshman Year - 5.5/10

Average comedy following the average comedy outline. It is a prequel to the original Van Wilder movie starring Ryan Reynolds[:thumbsup;] and the actor that tries to play a young Ryan Reynolds, wasn't as bad as he could have been. He actually had alot of the mannerisms down, but his dialog delivery was far more Ace Ventura then Van Wilder. This movie had a few lol moments, but nothing making it worth watching, unless you're watching it for teh boobs(still not worth it).

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #239 on: August 24, 2009, 11:25:21 PM »
I think we can thank the 80s for turning cartoons into fodder for kids instead of entertainment for the family. Before the Simpsons, the Flinstones was the longest running prime time cartoon. Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry were very much meant for adults along with children. I would say that animated films still struggle to find an adult audience in the US, Pixar created or otherwise.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: August 25, 2009, 12:35:49 AM »
I'm 28. I know, I know. That's my daughter in my avatar, from a couple years ago, she's 3-1/2 now.

I'm not saying it's a kid's movie because it's animated, but it *is* a kid's movie. I'm not saying it's for 3 year old kids, maybe the 9-12 year old range.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 25, 2009, 03:03:36 AM »
The Mist 9/10
just got done watching it, great movie, a little much for Mom who watched it with me, but I like stories that don't hold back. This is Horror at its best, you should feel a little disgusted.

good recommendation guys, its the type of movie I like

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 25, 2009, 05:23:43 AM »
The creature effects are AWESOME. I loved the designs, especially Cthulhu (at the end!). Very Lovecraftian.

Really? I remember walking away from the movie thinking they were amongst some of the worst looking effects I have seen in a modern film.

Also yeah D9 is goooood. It deserves all the hype and recognition it gets, unlike films like Trashfarmers Poo.

The special effects were quite good in the Myst, especially considering it had a budget of less then 20 million I believe. They weren't abused so each time the creature showed up it was quite terrifying (I still remember those spider creatures in the pharmacy! Beyond creepy).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 26, 2009, 08:37:04 AM »
Idiocracy: sad-but-true/10

Idiocracy is a rare and astounding film - if nothing else, simply because they used actual filmed video from the future to make this movie.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 26, 2009, 10:53:33 AM »
Idiocracy: sad-but-true/10

Idiocracy is a rare and astounding film - if nothing else, simply because they used actual filmed video from the future to make this movie.

Only recently seen this movie (couple months ago) and I have to agree with this rating.

"But it has blast processing" = "But its in HD/Hardcore" = "But its got electrolytes/what plants crave"
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 10:59:00 AM by EasyCure »

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 26, 2009, 11:25:43 AM »
Yeah... but HD actually is something.  Something tangible that most people understand.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 26, 2009, 11:56:32 AM »
Yeah... but HD actually is something.  Something tangible that most people understand.

Most people THINK they understand. I'm not gonna front and say I know the difference between 1080p or i or whatever, cuz I don't. I'm just not part of the group of people that see's HD and automatically thinks better. It's almost like a fad, the way HD is marketed in some innapropriate ways.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 26, 2009, 12:55:23 PM »
What I love is BluRay advertisements on DVDs.

"Buy Blu Ray, get superior resolution."
::shows clips from movies in whatever resolution my tv has been displaying it::
"Get superior clarity and picture quality"
::shows more clips from movies in the same resolution my tv has been displaying::
"It's in 1080p!"
::shows more movie clips in my tv's resolution::

I know they can't temporarily increase my screen resolution to show the difference, but thats whats funny about the advertising. talking points, talking points, talking points.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 26, 2009, 02:26:19 PM »
I always found that funny, too.  If I were in charge, I'd "downscale" the an image so it's the same difference between 1080P and 420P and show that in a side-by-side comparison with a 420p picture to illustrate the difference.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #249 on: August 26, 2009, 02:46:02 PM »
I didn't like Idiocracy. I understood the message after ten minutes. After that, it was just beating you over the head with it. Can't carry that joke for an hour and a half.

I just saw Adventureland. Hated it. Went in expecting a comedy, turned out it was a weepy drama. At least the music was good.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.