Author Topic: Khushrenada's Long Threatened Negative Review and Analysis of Super Mario Galaxy  (Read 23834 times)

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
What if Yoshi in Super Mario Sunshine was the spawn of Satan, and it puked out goo like the girl in The Exorcist, and Isle Delfino's supply of water was holy water, and that's why any contact with it eliminated Yoshi?!  :Q
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Ah, I see. I skimmed your response and it seemed to be directed at PSap29, and I didn't see my username in the quotes anywhere.

I'm still not sure what you see as "proof." We can talk about the differences between the two games, but whether or not that stuff makes one better than the other is all opinions. Unless this whole "proof" thing is just for dramatic effect, in which case carry on.

You know, I'm not even sure I knew that Sunshine had 100-coin stars. If that's true, and if it also has 8 red coin stars and blue coins... then that is way too much coin overload. That must make up like half the shines! Maybe not, but it's certainly a significant number of them, and more than SM64 and especially Galaxy. You talk about Galaxy being repetitive, well here's Sunshine's big repetition.

Speaking of shines I didn't get, aren't there hidden shines which have zero clues as to where they are? I think I found hardly any of those either. Not fun stuff.

As for powerups, I think the thing about FLUDD is that it's like a powerup, except constant. There's no real way to lose its power, with the exception of the occasional obstacle course level where it's stolen, which are predetermined spots. Sure, technically it can run out of water, but the tank holds a hefty amount, and water is so abundant that it can easily be refilled. So even if there are powerups in other Mario games that offer some similar functionality to FLUDD's abilities, those powerups are more special because they are a lot more sparse, and they can be lost. This makes them more valuable, and it makes me play a lot more carefully. This is how I feel about things, and I'm probably not the only one.

That stuff said, one good thing to come from Sunshine is the Piantas. Those big guys are funny. They're pretty awesome in Mario baseball, where they are power players who use a tree as a bat to smack big hits. Too bad they haven't been in a Mario Kart game, that'd be neat.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
FLUDD was a neat idea, and they did some cool things with it, but it wasn't enough to build the whole game around.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
O.K, i couldn't be stuffed to read all this, but this is want i've picked up:
1. Khush is picking on the "best" wii game "ever"
2. Khush is a pretty good reviewer
3. That people are picking and tearing apart Khush's Opinion 

Good job, Khush you are learning my people annoying skills very fast!
Made you look ****.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Thank you, my master.

1. Khush is picking on the "best" wii game "ever"

Does this mean you are not a fan of the game either?

2. Khush is a pretty good reviewer

Well, thank you. Although I think I could use an editor. The more I look at that big post, the more I'm thinking I should edit it up some and make it a bit more concise.

3. That people are picking and tearing apart Khush's Opinion

I would call it more of a discussion. There have been a couple attacks but I've given an answer to all questions asked of me and it seems to have been enough.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
I'am spilt 50-50, good game but with some serious flaws.
Made you look ****.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Khushrenada, as an advocate of Galaxy's overrated nature (among other recent 3D Mario titles), you're voicing many of my qualms with the title, and those arguing against you have thrown a bunch of excuses and misinterpretations of game design to discredit you.

Simply put, I can respect Galaxy 2 more than Galaxy despite it featuring many of the control and technical issues the first does because it no longer pretends to be an open-ended collection-based title like SM64 and Sunshine. Galaxy tries to bridge the gap between being a linear 3D platformer and a collection-based platformer and ultimately ends up being disjointed and uneven the entire time because of it. There is no exploration, no experimentation, because the game tries to push the current 3D Mario status quo. That's not what I wanted at the time, especially after how great Sunshine was, and replaying the game now, it's clear that it is an awkward and clumsy attempt at the concepts more recent 3D Mario titles achieve with finesse.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I don't want exploration in platformers. I don't want big, open worlds. EAD Tokyo does platformers right, where you're here, and you need to find a way to get over there.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
That might be why you don't like Super Mario World compared to Mario Bros. 3. Sure you can go from one point to the other but the game encourages exploration through the leves to find other exits and new areas. Forest of Illusion and Chocolate Island require you to find a different exit than the normal goal post in a couple levels to advance in the game.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I don't want exploration in platformers. I don't want big, open worlds. EAD Tokyo does platformers right, where you're here, and you need to find a way to get over there.
I understand that. But there's a style of game that SM64 and Sunshine handled really well and that's a collection-platformer. I just wish that hadn't been replaced by Galaxy and it's kin- I think that collection platformers had potential and it's sad to see that style of gameplay nonexistent. Personally, I think comparing Sunshine and Galaxy is only valid because the moments Galaxy tries to be like a collection platformer, it fails.

It's also not really that good of a platformer either, but I believe that EAD Tokyo is making good platformers NOW.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
That might be why you don't like Super Mario World compared to Mario Bros. 3. Sure you can go from one point to the other but the game encourages exploration through the leves to find other exits and new areas. Forest of Illusion and Chocolate Island require you to find a different exit than the normal goal post in a couple levels to advance in the game.

Except I've enjoyed the extremely-similar mechanics in New Super Mario Bros. U. I've narrowed my dislike of World down to an issue with the physics of it; moving around in that game just never feels right to me.

I understand that. But there's a style of game that SM64 and Sunshine handled really well and that's a collection-platformer. I just wish that hadn't been replaced by Galaxy and it's kin- I think that collection platformers had potential and it's sad to see that style of gameplay nonexistent. Personally, I think comparing Sunshine and Galaxy is only valid because the moments Galaxy tries to be like a collection platformer, it fails.

It's also not really that good of a platformer either, but I believe that EAD Tokyo is making good platformers NOW.

I'll agree that the worst parts of Galaxy are when it tries to be more like 64/Sunshine. That bee world in the original Galaxy is just awful, especially the 100 purple coins star. I always thought that if Nintendo ever got back the Rare IPs it'd be a good idea to make new Banjo Kazooie games in that style, while Mario keeps the more linear style it's taken under EAD Tokyo.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I'm glad we agree on something!

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
I understand that. But there's a style of game that SM64 and Sunshine handled really poorly compared to Banjo Kazooie and Spyro 2-3 and that's a collection-platformer.
Here just fixed a few things there.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
There have been a couple attacks but I've given an answer to all questions asked of me and it seems to have been enough.
Just to be clear, do you feel as if I've "attacked" you? I've tried to be respectful, so if I haven't been, I'd like to be aware of what it was.

I feel like this thread's been pretty civil aside from a certain someone. Khushrenada explained his view well without resorting to insults or bashing the game, and good counterpoints have been raised that did the same. I can certainly understand why Khushrenada (and anyone like him) didn't find much enjoyment in Super Mario Galaxy, because the game really is quite different from Super Mario Sunshine and 64. I wouldn't say that either side has won or proven anything though; the only thing that's been proven is that people have difference preferences for game design. And that seems fine to me.

Speaking of Super Mario World, I still feel like that game has the best control in any Mario game ever released. It's just so precise and sharp. The NSMB series feels especially slippery, and I never feel like I have complete control over the character.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
What happened in the last 3 hours or so since I last checked in the forum? Suddenly everyone is feeling offended or worried they've cause offense.

You're fine Mop it up. I only used the word attacked to go along with Lucariofan's comment of people picking and tearing apart my arguments. I'm quite fine with everything that was posted. Though PSap29 could tone his speech a bit.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
Well hey, I'm always worried about that! Maybe it doesn't show enough...

I thought the review was very detailed and explained your position very well. I never played Galaxy, so this was helpful for me.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I understand that. But there's a style of game that SM64 and Sunshine handled really poorly compared to Banjo Kazooie and Spyro 2-3 and that's a collection-platformer.
Here just fixed a few things there.
To each his own. Banjo and Spyro were great titles but had their fair share of problems.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
But they also made great improvements on the formula (for example not forcing you to leave a level everytime you get a DragonEgg/orb/puzzlepiece) that seem to have little reason not to have been put in sunshine.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Careful guys. All this collection-platformer talk could lead Nintendo to think we want Donkey Kong 64 2: Even more crap to collect!
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast