Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

The "Digital Games getting Physical Release" Thread

(1/8) > >>

Soren:
So. This is happening. And it's not just Limited Run doing physical prints of digital indies anymore, Super Rare Games are also getting into it. So in attempt to keep track of all this I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread to keep track of all these upcoming physical releases. This OP will be constantly updating so feel free to drop in every once in a while:

Limited Run Games
Switch Limited Run #1 - Thimbleweed Park - Regular (Preorder Closed) / Big Box Edition (3,000 copies)
Switch Limited Run #2 - Mercenary Kings - Regular (Open Preorder) / Tribute Treasure Box with Flinthook (3,000 copies)
Switch Limited Run #3 - Flinthook - Regular (Open Preorder) / Tribute Treasure Box with Mercenary Kings (3,000 copies)

Future Releases
- Saturday Morning RPG
- Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten

Super Rare Games
SRG #1 - Human Fall Flat - Regular (5,000 copies) / Deluxe and Vinyl Bundles Sold Out
SRG #2 - The Flame and The Flood - Regular (5,000 copies)

Future Releases
- Yooka-Laylee?

I'm debating whether or not to include games from other publishers (like Runner 3, even though that game always had a physical release planned for it, and is coming out from a major indie publisher) but for now I'll keep it limited to the boutique retailers. If you guys know of any others doing this let me know.

Evan_B:
I guess the only benefits to this are having a collectible, limited edition piece that could have high resale potential, and preventing your micro SDs from getting too cluttered.

Either way, I don't bite.

lolmonade:

--- Quote from: Evan_B on March 14, 2018, 11:30:50 PM ---I guess the only benefits to this are having a collectible, limited edition piece that could have high resale potential, and preventing your micro SDs from getting too cluttered.

Either way, I don't bite.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, regarding Switch, on-system storage concerns, being a collector, or wanting something to resell if you don't like the game would be the reasons I'd see wanting this.

Oedo:
I'm a little surprised that Golf Story isn't among the first ones announced for Limited Run Games. They seemed to be hinting at it last year.

Ian Sane:
I think the appeal here is for those that want to still be able to play a game 10 years after the Switch servers are offline.  With a digital release if a decade from now your Switch conks out, you've lost the game.  With a physical release you can still play it.

Though there may be some speculation going on where someone is expecting the game to become out-of-print at some point and thus a physical copy will command top dollar in the used market as the only legit way to play the game.

Though physical copies these days aren't really as physical as we'd like.  For this and the prior generation every game has so many patches that your physical release is probably going to be missing features and be full of bugs in 20 years when you're trying to play it strictly off the disc or cart.  These specific releases are probably different in that they try to put all the patches in place on the physical copy but major releases?  Look at something like Splatoon on the Wii U.  Nintendo added so much content after release that the physical disc is a shell of the full game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version