Author Topic: Holy Sunlight, batman  (Read 1651 times)

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Holy Sunlight, batman
« on: February 02, 2007, 07:30:05 AM »
I know they mentioned interference from sunlight before (and its in the manual), but it had totally slipped my mind.

It's a pretty bright day out (compounded by the reflected light off all the snow in the back yard), and even with the curtains closed there's a fair amount of sunlight coming into the back room where my Wii is. And for the first time, I see what they mean.

Even less than 5 feet from the TV, the Wiimote is absolutely flakey... I was attempting to play Dragonball Z, but the reticule keeps jerking around all crazy (and for someone with an inherited essential tremor condition, that's saying a lot). When the sun briefly went behind the clouds the Wiimote went back to functioning perfectly. With the sun out a "move closer to your TV" message kept appearing on the screen, so even though DBZ's reticule isn't vital it did make gameplay pretty much impossible. Guess I'll have to wait a couple hours for the sun to go down.

How common is this? It's an unusually bright day, and I played yesterday afternoon with absolutely no ill-effects. Is this just a once-in-a-great-while problem that occurs on crazy bright afternoons, or should I be shopping for some darker curtains?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: Holy Sunlight, batman
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 07:56:23 AM »
I have had light interference before. Through curtains. Can you move the position of your sensor bar?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 07:58:01 AM »
Intense reflections that create a random IR source OTHER than the Sensor Bar is the problem.

Basically, the sensor bar's IR emmissions should be the "brightest" waves beaming into your Remote's camera.  Reflections off the tv, intense reflections off walls, lamps beside the tv, lights from home entertainment components, etc, any light that directly shines into the front of the remote can potentially interfere with operation.  
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
RE:Holy Sunlight, batman
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 08:15:03 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
I have had light interference before. Through curtains. Can you move the position of your sensor bar?

Not really... the bar is on top of the television and there's no room on the stand to put it below the screen... I need some pull-down shades or something.  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 08:17:53 AM »
So do solve the problem you should use infrared sources that can cook you.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 08:33:40 AM »
Caution: Do not look at sensor bar with remaining eye.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 08:37:57 AM »
I've had this issue before, but the only game it was real bad was Red Steel.

Go figure.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report