Author Topic: A Tale of Two Fight Nights  (Read 2097 times)

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
A Tale of Two Fight Nights
« on: May 05, 2006, 03:30:01 PM »
I was in need of a game or something to do over the weeked, so I headed to Best Buy. While I was there, I sampled the new Fight Night game from EA, on both the Xbox 360 and the PS2. Interesting that they chose it as the demo game on both systems. I suppose it's better than the popular Gamecube demo "No disc inserted" that they've had for the past 6 months.

It was the first time I'd really spent with a 360... I saw a video running on one before at Target, but how much can you really tell from that? The difference between the two was quite stunning. The PS2 version was visually uninspired. Frankly I think I'd prefer the 2D sprites of a game like Evander Holyfield's "Real Deal" Boxing for the Sega Genesis to the boxy 3D models the PS2 is capable of. The 360 version was very impressive. I mean, the level of detail was just staggering when compared to the PS2.

But... and there is a but... the fight lasted a little over a round. Most of the first round was spent gawking at the visuals, but as it wore on, it was clear it was getting real old real quick.

And the PS2 version didn't "play" any worse. Sure, it looks like sheer hell, but if this was a really compelling game, the graphics wouldn't have really gotten in the way of the game. But there just wasn't that much game there, in my estimation. What a sad state of affairs, that EA is content to bring pedestrian PS2 experiences to the "Next Gen" with evidently nothing more than better graphics. Is "It's a PS2 game, only it doesn't look like hell" really all it takes to sell a $60 game to people?

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
RE: A Tale of Two Fight Nights
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 03:34:51 PM »
"Is "It's a PS2 game, only it doesn't look like hell" really all it takes to sell a $60 game to people?"

yes sadly.  The game is actually good though(not great).  Its not next gen but its a decent boxing game.  I cant wait for wii though. Im dying to see what it plays like.  Only a couple more days until we find out.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
RE:A Tale of Two Fight Nights
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 06:17:03 PM »
some have told me that haymakers are more obviously seen on the 360 because of the 30fps framerate in comparison to the current gen ones at 60fps (which to me is really screwed up if you ask me).  Other than that and a few odds and ins here they are pretty much the same game.  One's flooring, the other is just passing.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 07:44:34 PM »

Originally posted by: jasonditz
Is "It's a PS2 game, only it doesn't look like hell" really all it takes to sell a $60 game to people?

Of course not. It takes a great deal of originality and innovation to convince the average American to slap down that amount of money for a new game. After all, it's not like the Madden games, with just improved graphics and roster updates, top the ch... oh wait.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 10:29:46 PM »
EA doesn't just update the graphics, they remove features from their annual sports games so they have a larger number of ideas they can add each iteration.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 10:52:08 PM »
"Empty your cup so it can be filled"... with sewage?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 11:21:11 PM »
From one of my favorite Annette Benning movies, "The American President:"

Lewis Rothschild: People want leadership. And in the absence of genuine leadership, they will listen to anyone who steps up to the microphone. They want leadership, Mr. President. They're so thirsty for it, they'll crawl through the desert toward a mirage, and when they discover there's no water, they'll drink the sand.

President Andrew Shepherd: Lewis, we've had Presidents who were beloved, who couldn't find a coherent sentence with two hands and a flashlight. People don't drink the sand, 'cause they're thirsty. They drink the sand 'cause they don't know the difference.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com  
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 11:16:38 AM »
Rothschild Sewage and Septic Sucking Services!
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig