Author Topic: PS3 Backwards compatibility: Worst of both worlds  (Read 1622 times)

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
PS3 Backwards compatibility: Worst of both worlds
« on: March 14, 2006, 10:17:03 AM »
Rumors are floating around all the Sony sites right now that Sony's original promise of backward compatibility for the PS3 may in fact be misleading, and that rather than reading the old PS1 and PS2 discs, Sony might take a page out of Nintendo's book and offer them as downloads *Instead*

Looking forward to rebuying that multi-DVD PS2 game you have and sitting through a several gigabyte download? I know I'm not.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: PS3 Backwards compatibility: Worst of both worlds
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 10:40:29 AM »
They should offer online Tetris while you're waiting for the download to finish.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 10:52:18 AM »
I've heard the rumour of offering a download service (which is insane considering how big even PS1 games are) but not that it would replace backwards compatibility.  Having both would be nice assuming the issues with downloading magically weren't there.  Removing backwards compatibility would just suck though.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 11:33:05 AM »
The problem with this "rumor" is the same reason why the Rev is backwards compatible to the Cube instead of just downloading them.  It isn't the length of time the download would take, its the storage.  No one knows the PS3's storage options yet, but many are saying that a hard drive isn't a given at this point.  With no hard drive, you can write this rumor off right there. Maybe they'll just stream them... =P They have no problems with load times as it is anyway..

We should find out a lot more during GDC, as Sony is set to annouce a lot as well.  It's starting to look like Nintendo should have shown the controller at the first e3 and held on to the virtual console idea for a little longer...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 11:36:25 AM »
I read those Rumors, and I don't think they have anything to do with Backward compatibility.  More like they will release their old IP properties from NES, SNES, Genesis era on the PS3.  

Sony may also try to buy other properties on their download service.  Really to me it sounds more like Microsofts's Live Arcade instead of the virtual system.

Personally I don't see this as a threat at all.