Author Topic: Super NES Classic Cage Fight (Round 2)  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Dlloyd82

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
Super NES Classic Cage Fight (Round 2)
« on: September 08, 2017, 01:24:00 PM »

Cast your vote to get your favorite games into the next round.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/45368/super-nes-classic-cage-fight-round-2

Round 1 is over and we’re now down to just 10 SNES games as the field is halved. Here are the winners (and their margins).In the 1991-1993 Region, here are your winners.

These five games will go head-to-head-to-head-to-head-to-head to determine two finalists that will go to our Super NES Classic Final Four.

• Super Mario World stomped on F-Zero 96% to 4%
  • Super Castlevania IV put a stake through Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts 83% to 17%
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past sealed away Contra III 97% to 3%
  • Super Mario Kart won first place against Star Fox 69% to 31%
  • Secret of Mana remade its way past Street Fighter II Turbo 58% to 42%

In the 1994-1996 Region, here are your winners. These five games will go head-to-head-to-head-to-head-to-head to determine two finalists that will go to our Super NES Classic Final Four.

• Super Metroid used a Power Bomb to defeat Mega Man X 78% to 22%
  • Final Fantasy VI (or III) blew up the world of Super Punch-Out!! 73% to 27%
  • Donkey Kong Country threw a barrel to stop Kirby’s Dream Course 86% to 14%
  • Yoshi’s Island threw an egg to beat EarthBound 54% to 46%
  • Super Mario RPG collected all seven stars to fend off Kirby Super Star 80% to 20%

So now that we’ve shown the dominance and disparity of some of these games, let’s see what happens we narrow it down further. Cast your votes now!

Pick two games from Super Mario World, Super Castlevania IV, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart, and Secret of Mana. Also pick two games from Super Metroid, Final Fantasy VI/III, Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi’s Island, and Super Mario RPG.

We also asked all voters what games they wish were in the Super NES Classic. Chrono Trigger got the majority of the call-outs, but other notable misses were Donkey Kong Country 2, Terranigma, Illusion of Gaia, Demon’s Crest, TMNT IV: Turtles in Time,  and ActRaiser.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Super NES Classic Cage Fight (Round 2)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 11:37:48 PM »
Not even a contest for me - there are two very clear winners from each bracket that demand votes.

(Of course, the trick is whether others will view things the same way. Not everyone has such refined taste, after all.  ;) [size=78%])[/size]
NNID: ejamer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 02:16:09 PM »
I'm slightly surprised that Super Mario Kart won over Star Fox, as I personally feel Star Fox is more playable.

Offline jarodea

• A man of the world, so suave and discrete, he trips over the women piled up at his feet
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 06:39:18 AM »
Well that was a lot easier, and not just due to fewer votes.  The early group is pretty obvious as well as 1 from the later group, but which of the other 4 gets 2nd will be interesting since I could see arguments for all of them (though the correct answer is FFVI).

I'm slightly surprised that Super Mario Kart won over Star Fox, as I personally feel Star Fox is more playable.

It kind of makes sense, one is a game that sold 9 million and spawned 7 and a half sequels that have sold in total 125 million+, the other sold 4 million and has 3 and a halfish sequels with a little more than 10 million in sales (almost all from the first 2 games).  Only 2 of the 10 contests were lost by the game that sold more, 1 was the narrowest loss and both lost to cult classics.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:42:15 AM by jarodea »