Author Topic: Super NES Classic Cage Fight (Round 1)  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Dlloyd82

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
Super NES Classic Cage Fight (Round 1)
« on: August 28, 2017, 07:42:30 AM »

There's more riding on these results than you know.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/45237/super-nes-classic-cage-fight-round-1

As the Super NES Classic is about a month away (or longer if you can’t lockdown a pre-order), we decided to needlessly sort out the super classics from the regular old classics in the 21 game collection. We took the format from our podcast series Cube Fight and applied it to the Super NES Classic. Since we haven’t played the Star Fox 2 on it and also this would be way easier with an even number, we’re excluding Star Fox 2 (for now). That means we have 20 games that we can pit against each other for our own amusement. And we want your help.

We organized the games chronologically (by North American dates) and we’ll be pitting them head-to-head as we go from 1991 to 1996. The games will be split into two brackets: one with the 10 games from 1991 to 1993, and the other with the 10 games from 1994 to 1996. Vote in the matchups below to determine what five games will go on to the second round, and from there, we’ll take each group of five and put them to a vote to determine which two will go on to the Super NES Classic Final Four.

If that’s all too complicated, just trust us here and vote for your favorite game in each of the matchups. Remember: there are no wrong answers except for voting for F-Zero over Super Mario World and Contra III over Link to the Past.

Get your votes in by September 5 and then we’ll move on to the second round.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Super NES Classic Cage Fight (Round 1)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 03:55:25 PM »
Ouch! Some tough match-ups in the first round.

I love Contra III... but not if it's going against Link to the Past. That's just one example, but I think there were at least 5 where it made me sad not to be able to vote for both games.

Also, hard question to finish off. What SNES game would you like to have seen added? Ohh... hard to narrow it down to just one.  Chrono Trigger? Actraiser? TMNT Turtles in Time? Uniracers? Demon's Crest? Ogre Battle? U.N. Squadron? Zombies Ate My Neighbors? Mortal Kombat?  Those are just some of my favorites...

NNID: ejamer

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 06:12:26 PM »
Let's just jump straight to the Final Round - Super Metroid vs Super Mario RPG.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just did the poll. Super Metroid and Mario RPG are in the same conference. This is probably going to be Link to the Past vs Metroid or Mario RPG in the final.

Also, talk about cruel. Pitting Kirby Super Star vs Mario RPG in the first round. What did Kirby do to deserve such a match-up?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 06:39:09 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 06:47:49 PM »
Also, hard question to finish off. What SNES game would you like to have seen added? Ohh... hard to narrow it down to just one.  Chrono Trigger? Actraiser? TMNT Turtles in Time? Uniracers? Demon's Crest? Ogre Battle? U.N. Squadron? Zombies Ate My Neighbors? Mortal Kombat?  Those are just some of my favorites...

Yeah, it was tough at first but then the answer became very clear: Dino City.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 08:07:52 PM »
I don't know that game... but do know that if you've never played Jurassic Park (SNES) in the dark, late at night during a sleepover with friends, you've never lived.

Offline RPG_FAN128

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • RPG_FAN128 Programming
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 03:19:30 PM »
I don't know that game... but do know that if you've never played Jurassic Park (SNES) in the dark, late at night during a sleepover with friends, you've never lived.

No way, I recently just played through Jurassic Park again last month.  It is the only reason I ever need to hook up my SNES up considering I have every other game in some other virtual console release form.  After beating it I happily sighed and said, "people don't even know this game exists." 

And then I read your comment.  MIND BLOWN!  ^_^

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 01:39:43 PM »

Chrono Trigger is my gut reaction on this list, but frankly, TMNT would probably be the best fit out of these for something that seems designed to encourage 2 player play.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 02:16:08 PM »
I was thinking about Super Bomberman for that final answer but the SNES Classic isn't set up for 4-player multiplayer nor can the multi-tap accessory plug into the console.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:19:01 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 03:10:50 PM »

Chrono Trigger
Ogre Battle: MOTBQ
Lufia 2: RotS
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
TMNT: Turtles in Time
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline jarodea

• A man of the world, so suave and discrete, he trips over the women piled up at his feet
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 07:50:24 AM »
I forgot about TMNT IV and was thinking Chrono Trigger but I have that on the DS or SimCity but there are much better versions of that game in the series and genre these days.  I went with the game I liked from the little I played and which I don't have legal access to now, Pacific Theater of Operations 2.  It's a genre that isn't represented on the SNES Classic as well.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 08:28:16 AM »
... Pacific Theater of Operations 2.  ...

I've never seen this game before. Looks interesting!

Reminded me of another SNES game that I loved, but most people have probably never heard of: Gemfire.  (It also had a NES release, but the SNES version was much faster/better because of the more powerful system.)  Felt it was a great little strategy game at the time and I'd love to revisit it now - but Gemfire is quite rare and never gained enough of a fan following to make re-release through virtual console, etc, worthwhile.

If looking to add a strategy game, that's where I'd go. (Not down-voting PTO2 - I just have no experience with that game so can't offer a yay or nay.)

Offline jarodea

• A man of the world, so suave and discrete, he trips over the women piled up at his feet
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 08:25:59 PM »
... Pacific Theater of Operations 2.  ...

I've never seen this game before. Looks interesting!

Reminded me of another SNES game that I loved, but most people have probably never heard of: Gemfire.  (It also had a NES release, but the SNES version was much faster/better because of the more powerful system.)  Felt it was a great little strategy game at the time and I'd love to revisit it now - but Gemfire is quite rare and never gained enough of a fan following to make re-release through virtual console, etc, worthwhile.

If looking to add a strategy game, that's where I'd go. (Not down-voting PTO2 - I just have no experience with that game so can't offer a yay or nay.)

Never heard of Gemfire but it looks like Romance of the Three Kingdoms or Nobunaga's Ambition set in South Korea.  Koei had a handful templates for games at the time and that was certainly one.  They were held back by the controller and CPU of the SNES but their games at the time (Liberty or Death is another big favorite of mine) had a lot of ideas I'd like to see in modern games.

There's the obvious solution here, Nintendo needs to mass produce the SNES Classic with ROM dumps of all of its games and the last question becomes irrelevant  ;D.