Author Topic: Last Story sells...  (Read 7479 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Last Story sells...
« on: October 24, 2012, 12:56:17 AM »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Last Story sells...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 12:58:48 AM »
I would take that data with a severely large grain of salt, considering how few Wii owners hook up their Wiis online.  Hell, just look at how many users the most played game on that list has (Raving Rabbids 2): 337, 017.  Some of these games have probably sold over a million copies.  You could probably get a better idea of the true number if we knew how many units a particular game sold compared to its playtime user count here, and then used that percentage against Last Story's number here.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 01:12:02 AM »
I agree, this number isn't wholly accurate of how well the game has sold.
That's why I posted several other games with their numbers.

For example, using the same population of people, more people bought and played Sid Meier's Pirates (which is a pretty ****ty port) than Last Story.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 01:25:03 AM »
For the sake of doing quick and dirty math (yes, I know the numbers will be off), I pulled the VGChartz numbers for Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure on Wii: 1.04 million units.

1,040,000 divided by 55,571 (the number the game has from Nintendo Channel) equals approximately 18.71.

18.71 multiplied by 2,828 (The Last Story's Nintendo Channel numbers) equals approximately 52,912 Last Story copies sold.

Sadly, that sounds just about right for a niche Wii game released at the end of the Wii's life cycle with no real marketing push.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 01:37:25 AM »
Using that same method, M:OM sold 740,000 copies in NA according to VG Chartz.  That gives you a multiplier of 6.66.  So, you end up with 18,835 copies of Last Story sold.

And I'm guessing that it's more likely that M:OM players picked up Last Story than Skylanders players.

For fun, VGChartz puts Pirates! at 100,000 units.  Using your method, this would put Last Story at 65,859 units.  Even more than your number! :D

Offline coffeewithgames

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
    • Coffee with Games
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 02:09:36 AM »
Hey, that's my post(s)! Haha.

I always clarify the "Nintendo Channel" information, but it's definitely not reflective of all Wii players... well, unless ALL Wii owners report the data, which usually isn't the case. So, it's hard to know for sure, but you can get a rough guestimate with a lot of the information for total sales.
Drinking coffee, playing games!
http://coffeewithgames.com/

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 02:14:55 AM »
Hey! Never noticed you posted here!  Hopefully, I'll get you some well-deserved traffic with this post... :D

Offline coffeewithgames

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
    • Coffee with Games
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 02:24:13 AM »
Hey! Never noticed you posted here!  Hopefully, I'll get you some well-deserved traffic with this post... :D

Haha, I submit many of these stories as "tips" here, but they are never posted to the front page. I'm glad you found it, and hopefully you found it interesting!
Drinking coffee, playing games!
http://coffeewithgames.com/

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 02:25:54 AM »
I check out the site every so often.  One of the handful of sites I check on a semi-regular basis.  Keep it up. :D

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 02:29:08 AM »
Using that same method, M:OM sold 740,000 copies in NA according to VG Chartz.  That gives you a multiplier of 6.66.  So, you end up with 18,835 copies of Last Story sold.

And I'm guessing that it's more likely that M:OM players picked up Last Story than Skylanders players.

For fun, VGChartz puts Pirates! at 100,000 units.  Using your method, this would put Last Story at 65,859 units.  Even more than your number! :D

Yeah, I knew and acknowledged the method was flawed when I posted it, but I think it's fair to say that The Last Story probably didn't do better than 100,000 copies sold in NA.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 03:30:28 AM »
This a rather dicey way to figure out North American sales numbers.

The Last Story is in line with Xenoblade in the Nintendo Channel. Maybe that's a good-ish sign? We'll have to wait for Xseed to talk about how well or poorly it did.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 03:39:30 AM »
Someone on Neo Gaf with NPD access has already said The Last Story sold less then 40k it's first month.  When the people on Neo Gaf with NPD data say stuff like this, it usually means the real numbers are a few thousand less.  So at the bare minimum we know The Last Story has sold at least 35,000 copies.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 08:02:08 AM »
We also know that it was Playstation Vita < Last Story < 40k. So probably 37-38k opening month.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 10:06:17 AM »
The chances of the NA getting Pandora's Tower become slimmer by the days.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 10:07:32 AM »
The chances of the NA getting Pandora's Tower become slimmer by the days.
Everyone Believe in the Bright Shiny Digital Future.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 11:01:48 AM »
So what you're saying is, Reggie was right to not think it was worth bringing these games over. /troll
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 12:12:18 PM »
Although I enjoy the CoffeeWithGames posts showing Nintendo Channel data, the numbers really aren't very useful for estimating sales. To transmit your data, you need to (a) have your Wii online, (b) agree to send information about the titles you play, and (c) actively use the Nintendo Channel.

The first two caveats will have a significant effect on the numbers, making me question how accurate they are. But it's that third one that is the real killer for me.  How many people still check the Nintendo Channel with any regularity?  And more importantly, why?  What does the Nintendo Channel currently offer that should interest me at this point in time?

Hopefully The Last Story sold to - or above - expectation. It's almost certain that expectations were low to start with given the timing and market viability of this release.
NNID: ejamer

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 12:21:48 PM »
The first two apply to me, but I don't remember the last time I checked the Nintendo Channel.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 12:38:31 PM »
Yeah ejamer has it right here. I personally have it set up to do the first 2 but I haven't recently went on the Nintendo Channel to check much there. I usually did it weekly when the Nintendo Week was happening but I have done it off and on with less regularity. I think I may have checked for things on there for Nintendo Direct stuff and or after any big gaming event like E3 or similar convention.

I don't think this data is a good measure of sales.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:41:33 PM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 01:13:29 PM »
Didn't Xseed say they were happy with sales? So I doubt it was a complete bomb.

Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 01:19:02 PM »
I wonder how much better this game (or Xenoblade) would have sold had it been given a timely release. 

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 01:25:30 PM »
The games got more publicity by not coming out earlier, so they probably would have sold worse with earlier releases.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 01:39:29 PM »
Maybe, but they would have been released in a much healthier market and may have even helped market health if they were released in (financial year) 2010.  The Wii has been in a death spiral for almost 2 years, if you think 2 jrpgs are going to benefit from being released into that market, that's your right, I guess.  That doesn't make any sense, though.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 01:43:04 PM »

The first two caveats will have a significant effect on the numbers, making me question how accurate they are. But it's that third one that is the real killer for me.  How many people still check the Nintendo Channel with any regularity?  And more importantly, why?  What does the Nintendo Channel currently offer that should interest me at this point in time?

I'll echo that question. I honestly can't think of anything there that compels a person to log on anymore. Are they even still doing Nintendo Week?

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 03:54:04 PM »
Are they even still doing Nintendo Week?

Nintendo Week was cancelled a while back. I think it was March. There were new trailers/videos around E3 and maybe for a Nintendo Direct event... but most people with any interest watched those online.

The only reason to use the channel at this point is to rate games (useless!) or see how many hours you've put into a particular title.  While time tracking is interesting, it's not really a compelling reason to boot up the channel.
NNID: ejamer