Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 410441 times)

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #350 on: October 15, 2012, 01:52:12 AM »
I really want a new Retro developed Metroid Prime for the Wii U. It's been five years since Corruption. My body is ready.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 15, 2012, 11:41:41 AM »
I want another game with Other M as a templet. 3rd person but no controller flipping or fusion style weapon unlocks.

I don't think Retro is working on anything Metroid. When I talked to an employee, everything he said made it clear he would never even hint at the project but it certainly wasn't Metroid.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 15, 2012, 12:29:09 PM »
I'm sure Retro would do a great job with Metroid again, but they're arguably Nintendo's best development studio, and I want to see them do something they haven't done already. Ideally their own brand new project, but if it has to be an existing Nintendo franchise I want it to be something new to them.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 15, 2012, 02:54:07 PM »
Nintendo restructuring so that Miyamoto has his own team and is less involved with everyone else would (probably) be great.  With Miyamoto having his finger is so many pies it tends to make Nintendo's lineup feel too similar.  The guy is probably the best game designer ever BUT his approach is not the only one that's worthwhile.  He absolutely stinks at stories, for example, and tends to stick to more family friendly themes.  On the NES and SNES Nintendo had Yokoi's team which had a different style than Miyamoto.  On the N64 they had Rare.  It was nice to get games that were of the typical Nintendo quality but didn't necessarily feel like the games EAD made.  On the Cube and Wii it's just all too much EAD-style.  Retro provides something different but they're just not prolific enough.  We've only gotten two games a generation from them.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 15, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »
With Miyamoto having his finger is so many pies
Sexual euphemism of the day.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 15, 2012, 03:52:14 PM »
Nintendo restructuring so that Miyamoto has his own team and is less involved with everyone else would (probably) be great.  With Miyamoto having his finger is so many pies it tends to make Nintendo's lineup feel too similar.  The guy is probably the best game designer ever BUT his approach is not the only one that's worthwhile.  He absolutely stinks at stories, for example, and tends to stick to more family friendly themes.  On the NES and SNES Nintendo had Yokoi's team which had a different style than Miyamoto.  On the N64 they had Rare.  It was nice to get games that were of the typical Nintendo quality but didn't necessarily feel like the games EAD made.  On the Cube and Wii it's just all too much EAD-style.  Retro provides something different but they're just not prolific enough.  We've only gotten two games a generation from them.

Agreed, and hopefully that's subject to change with their moving to a larger campus and hiring way more employees.

Miyamoto focusing on smaller games just makes perfect sense. Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, and even Pikmin all started with such a simple, fun concept that is later broadened and expanded on. If Miyamoto could trend away from that aspect of stretching the idea into a large, and ultimately, expensive game and just focus on experimenting and finding new concepts with a team, then he could make the next Mario or Zelda again. Those ideas that he finds could then be shared to other teams.

It just makes sense, and I'm glad Iwata and Miyamoto agree.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 15, 2012, 10:05:48 PM »
I don't think Retro is working on anything Metroid. When I talked to an employee, everything he said made it clear he would never even hint at the project but it certainly wasn't Metroid.

Wouldn't it be funny if that guy was pulling your leg the whole time, and come E3 2013, Nintendo unveils Metroid Prime 4? ;)
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 16, 2012, 01:07:35 PM »
I'm sure Retro would do a great job with Metroid again, but they're arguably Nintendo's best development studio, and I want to see them do something they haven't done already. Ideally their own brand new project, but if it has to be an existing Nintendo franchise I want it to be something new to them.

The gritty survival horror reboot of Ice Climbers will finally be realized.

Personally I have a feeling they are working on a new IP.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 16, 2012, 01:30:39 PM »
Have them  revive Raven Blade or any other WRPG so that I don't have to wait years before 3rd parties decide to port over the inevitable Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 4.  Have Retro show the world how great the gamepad would be for western styled rpgs.  Besides, I'd love to see what they would create.  I'm sure it'll look amazing and the atmosphere would be unparalleled.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 16, 2012, 03:25:06 PM »
Have them  revive Raven Blade or any other WRPG so that I don't have to wait years before 3rd parties decide to port over the inevitable Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 4.  Have Retro show the world how great the gamepad would be for western styled rpgs.  Besides, I'd love to see what they would create.  I'm sure it'll look amazing and the atmosphere would be unparalleled.

Speaking of Raven Blade I talked with Retro about it as well. I should have taken notes or something but i'm no journalist plus if I started jotting down notes our simple shooting of the breeze might not have lasted as long as it did.

I asked him, so what ever happened to Raven Blade? I'm paraphrasing but it went something this, "If you had actually seen what Raven Blade was, you wouldn't even ask about it. It wasn't even a game, it had no direction, just a few vague ideas thrown together."

He went on about it for a little while with absolutely nothing good to say, but from the sounds of it, if we ever got a Raven Blade it would be in name only cause the game that was there was barely a game to begin with. Something about having a few concepts ready for development on GameCube and nothing more.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: October 16, 2012, 03:56:01 PM »
I should have taken notes or something but i'm no journalist plus if I started jotting down notes our simple shooting of the breeze might not have lasted as long as it did.
Always wear a wire.

Personally, if I could get away with it I would.  If I could get Voice Recognition Software that could spit out transcripts so they be searchable later that be awesome.  No more ambiguity on what everyone said a couple months back.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #361 on: October 16, 2012, 04:03:43 PM »
I should have taken notes or something but i'm no journalist plus if I started jotting down notes our simple shooting of the breeze might not have lasted as long as it did.
Always wear a wire.

Personally, if I could get away with it I would.  If I could get Voice Recognition Software that could spit out transcripts so they be searchable later that be awesome.  No more ambiguity on what everyone said a couple months back.

I know you are joking, but you would need to make sure to check the laws of where you were. Some states have it illegal to record someone else without their permission.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 16, 2012, 09:53:27 PM »

The gritty survival horror reboot of Ice Climbers will finally be realized.

Personally I have a feeling they are working on a new IP.

What was that 3rd-party Wii game, a survival horror title, set on a mountain with evil spirits and whatnot? Make that with Resident Evil 0 and you pretty much have it.. SWEET!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 16, 2012, 10:06:08 PM »
What was that 3rd-party Wii game, a survival horror title, set on a mountain with evil spirits and whatnot?
Cursed Mountain?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 16, 2012, 10:18:09 PM »
What was that 3rd-party Wii game, a survival horror title, set on a mountain with evil spirits and whatnot?
Cursed Mountain?

YES! That one! I'm gonna go ad it to my amazon wishlist.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 16, 2012, 10:22:36 PM »
Always wear a wire.

I know you are joking, but you would need to make sure to check the laws of where you were. Some states have it illegal to record someone else without their permission.
Disclosure Hat.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 17, 2012, 12:15:17 AM »
I gave Black N Mild a copy of Cursed Mountain. Hey BNM! You ever play it?

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 17, 2012, 06:06:06 PM »

What was that game, set on a mountain with evil spirits and whatnot?

Uncharted 2? ;)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 17, 2012, 10:50:52 PM »
I gave Black N Mild a copy of Cursed Mountain. Hey BNM! You ever play it?

Actually I did play it briefly. I don't think I got very far into it, although the thought has crossed my mind lately to pick it back up and get further into it....but I've pretty much given my Wii away at this point.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 17, 2012, 11:15:17 PM »
I'd love to borrow it.. I just finished the last two new games I've gotten for my Wii (Skyward Sword and Metroid: Other M) and while I still have a few games I haven't fully finished (Trauma Center, Rune Factory Frontier) they're the types that can be played in short bursed, whereas Cursed Mountain would be something I'd want to experience in full, so 1 or 2 hour sessions...

just sayin'

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 18, 2012, 05:14:02 PM »
...but they (Retro Studios) are arguably Nintendo's best development studio...

Proof that Western developers are better at making games than the Japanese?  :cool;

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 18, 2012, 05:17:49 PM »
Well, the reason I said "arguably" is EAD Tokyo, who have proven themselves extremely talented and I could easily see putting ahead of Retro on such a list, and they're Japanese, so I wouldn't say that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 18, 2012, 05:21:45 PM »
Well, the reason I said "arguably" is EAD Tokyo, who have proven themselves extremely talented and I could easily see putting ahead of Retro on such a list, and they're Japanese, so I wouldn't say that.

It was a troll-bait comment. I was being sarcastic.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 18, 2012, 05:23:20 PM »
I figured as much, but I wanted to clarify my statement anyway.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 18, 2012, 05:26:13 PM »
Old Digs looks cooler for Retro.