Author Topic: 1080 Avalanche or SSX3  (Read 7995 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: 1080 Avalanche or SSX3
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2003, 06:46:49 AM »
Painfully short as in Wave Race Blue Storm short? Because the short races in that game really annoyed me. Since 1080 and Wave Race are both by NST, i fear 1080 will be lacking in presentation and options, just as Wave Race Blue Storm was. Or maybe not. I want to get both SSX3 and 1080 because they are different enough to buy both of them and enjoy them on different levels.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2003, 06:58:46 AM »
At least in Wave Race, you have LAPS, and you can make a race longer.  That's not possible in 1080.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Sirmorphix

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:1080 Avalanche or SSX3
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2003, 09:06:36 AM »
I don't know how many of you use connectivity, but SSX3 and SSX3 GBA have a decent feature.  Money you earn on the GBA or Gamecube can be transferred to the same character on either console.  So if I'm using Elise, and I make 15,000 bucks on the GBA, when I get home I can send all that money to my Gamecube Elise and use it to buy attributes on the Gamecube.  I use it a lot here at the office, helps me build up my stats for the Gamecube version all the time.  This might be a factor in a purchase decision, though to be honest, I don't know what sort of connectivity features 1080 has.
---
Electronic Arts Canada
---

Offline highenergyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2003, 10:23:42 AM »
The SSX franchise never sparked my interest and it doesn't look like this will be changing anytime soon with SSX3. There's only room for one snowboarding game in my library and that honor will go to 1080. I guess I just have too many fond memories of the N64 gem. Up until than I had never touched any other sports game. Of course this was years before SSX came into being so it came too little too late to have a similar impact, but that's not my problem.      

Offline Shadowdane

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2003, 10:50:53 AM »
I got SSX3 originally for PS2, and while it was nice..  had some HUGE framerate problems, as well as very grainy looking textures.
Traded it in for the GC version, and well its quite an improvement..  especially the framerate!  

The only downside on the GC version is slightly lower sound quality, its not noticeable unless you have a mid to high-end surround sound system though.  And they removed a few grab moves, not a big deal in my book.

Also just a note, I assume because of the size of the GC disks looks like the had to add a little extra compression to some of the textures so some of them are little bit blurry.

Otherwise its an excellent game, not to be missed.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2003, 02:59:08 PM »
Wow so the GC version sounds better than the PS2 one, awesome! How is the GC controller though?

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2003, 03:10:33 PM »
I don't like Tricky that much... but I'm not a big fan of the "bust an insane trick" genre. I like racing. 1080 was one of the best racing games I've played. I'm like Grey Ninja, though, in  that I don't like realistic sports games, however, I found 1080's racing to be incredibly fun (I'm talking Mario Kart fun... with less multi-player)

So anyway, I'll be getting 1080 for sure (assuming its as good as the first), and I might get SSX3 later on.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2003, 03:59:26 PM »
If you hadn't noticed, I haven't been here the last couple of days.  The reason is very simple.  I HAVE BEEN PLAYING SSX 3!!!!!!

THIS GAME TOTALLY RULES!!!!!!!!

My roommate bought the PS2 version, and I bought the GCN version the very next day.  I prefer the GCN version greatly, as the controls feel WAY more natural to me, and other than a horribly bruised thumb, I have no injuries.  I have little girl sized hands, but the mere thought of having to press L1, L2, and Up on the D-Pad at the same time makes my hand hurt.  I have no such problems with the GCN.

I FREAKING LOVE THIS GAME!!!!

(I bought Rebel Strike at the same time, but have barely touched it.)
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2003, 11:52:00 AM »
people whho are basing thier opinions on the 1080 demo,DONT. its a demo...half complete version. when 1080 Avalanche was first played it was hated...fast forward a year later and you got a nice clean game. i  have a feeling that this game will get dissed because it doesnt feel like SSX3. its too slow etc ....i was never really looking forward to this game until i say a direct feed footage T.V quality....it was fast, avalanches were droping , caves being caved in....massive tricks being executed etc.  Dont judge the game till you have sat down with it for more than 1 hour.  
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2003, 10:07:00 AM »
Looking like SSX3 for me, I have always enoyed tricks more than racing.  Is SSX still a pretty good copy of the older Cool Borders games, but upgraded?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2003, 10:16:02 AM »
Uglydot, I never played Cool Boarders all that much, but what I did play, I never really liked much.

this might help you out though, as I have already finished the game and written my review.    
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2003, 10:21:04 AM »
1080 for me simply because SSX doesn't appeal to me as much as 1080. Avalanche also seems to be more focused on racing which I like

Offline J

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2003, 08:35:37 AM »
i got ssx3 for the ps2, i love it!

i worry that with 1080 for the gc will turn out like wave race for the gc.
just an updated version of the n64.  that wont cut it for me.

i might give it a rent when i have some time, but i am not expecting much.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2003, 08:46:33 AM »
i got this gamecube dvd and it showed 1080 off for about 10 mins of direct footage. it was the e3 version and the game still had 6 months of devolepment left. think about it like that..

Offline novastar512

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2003, 07:24:00 PM »
Well, I tend to think that SSX3 is better. I have it for my PS2 and I bought it the first day it came out.  Now, I am an extreme Nintendo fanboy, but online multiplayer took precedence and it is awesome to play online.  Albeit you can only play against only 1 human opponent, it is really fun.  Graphically, it is really good, and I am not having framerate problems.  BTW - I don't think you can tunnel SSX3, but maybe with 1080, but I am skeptical with tunneling

1080 looks kinda good, but I am worried about the longevity, since it looks a little slow and boring.  Plus the levels don't seem that big looking.  So it may be a bit more fun than SSX in the short run, but not for longevity.  I'll rent it to make sure of it first.  However, I highly recomment, SSX3 if you have a PS2, but as for a GC maybe, but I think online is really needed to fully enjoy it.  But Tricky didn't have it and after renting it 4 times I bought it lol.  PLus I bought SSX used for 10 bucks and I was willing to pay full price for it.

At worst, just wait till 1080 comes out and make a descision.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2003, 08:11:00 AM »
i feel that 1080's courses are a bit short but there are many diffrent ways to race them, you want to cause an avalanche and open up a tunnel or do you want to try cutting through the ice...or are you cautious?