Author Topic: Amazon, Nintendo Team Up For Digital Code Store  (Read 3374 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Amazon, Nintendo Team Up For Digital Code Store
« on: September 01, 2015, 02:40:35 AM »

So maybe we'll get something special on Prime Day next year.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/41075/amazon-nintendo-team-up-for-digital-code-store

Amazon has added Nintendo to their digital game offerings, with Wii U, 3DS and even Wii download codes available.

The listing is composed of first party titles for now, with a focus on retail and Virtual Console games. After completing the purchase, buyers will be able to log into a special page with their Nintendo Network ID and redeem the code, which will start downloading to the system.

The downloads appear to be at MSRP, though Super Mario Maker is available for preload and a seller has Yoshi's New Island codes for $15.99 in the 3DS section. The Mario Kart 8 DLC dual pack also is available to buy.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Cyrian

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon, Nintendo Team Up For Digital Code Store
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
And yet still no standard digital eshop cards like Sony and Microsoft have.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 12:11:15 PM »
What is the point of this service?  Those download code cards were for customers that don't have credit cards.  To use this don't you need to have access to the internet and a credit card to pay for your purchase?  Why not just go through the damn eShop?  You have to go online with your system anyway to download the title you bought from Amazon!

Is there some little detail about this that makes it different from the eShop that I'm missing?

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 12:19:47 PM »
... You have to go online with your system anyway to download the title you bought from Amazon! ...

Pretty sure this isn't true - it sounds like the download is automatic once you've purchased from Amazon, so you don't need to do anything special on your console.

That said, your other points still stand. Not sure I see this being much easier than just buying through eShop. Maybe there will be pricing variations?
NNID: ejamer

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 01:43:24 PM »
That said, your other points still stand. Not sure I see this being much easier than just buying through eShop. Maybe there will be pricing variations?

I'm pretty sure I can complete the transaction and have the download started faster through Amazon than through the eShop.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 03:12:17 PM »
I assume this works for gifting to friends.  Also, you could use Amazon gift cards/credit from trading in games...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BiteThePillow

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 04:21:52 PM »
I like the idea of this, but the selection sucks. Why can't I buy a Shovel Knight on there? It would be the perfect gift for my brother, though he doesn't know it yet. If I buy him an eShop card he's going to buy something stupid with it instead of the game I want him to have.
NNID: UltraGoomba
3DS Friend Code: 2208-7006-9833

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 04:37:09 PM »
Is there some little detail about this that makes it different from the eShop that I'm missing?

Opportunities for different discounts and offers. Also, to take advantage of pre-existing Amazon cash or cash back services.

Think of this way: This added option is an approach vector for people who want to do a little Extreme Couponing.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 04:42:27 PM »
To use this don't you need to have access to the internet and a credit card to pay for your purchase? 

Glossed over this.

There are a lot of Amazon gift cards and pre-paid debit cards floating around. There are options for a person who doesn't have or want to use a credit card to be able to buy stuff from online retailers.

Offline Cyrian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 05:13:57 PM »
Those download code cards were for customers that don't have credit cards.

Or for people who don't want to use credit cards.  After stories about Microsoft automatically charging for XBox Live and the PSN hack I don't like putting my credit card number into game consoles, so I only use the cards. And I end up spending a lot more on XBL and PSN than the eShop because being able to get a $10 or $20 code right from Amazon instead of actually going to the store lets me make more low price impulse buys.  With eShop cards when I actually am at the store I usually don't even think of it or have forgotten what I wanted to buy in the first place so I don't even bother.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 05:18:35 PM »
Amazon also has an account system where you put money into an account that is for another person, let's say your child or significant other.  Then they can use that money on anything at Amazon. 

Also, Amazon is a lot bigger storefront than the Nintendo eshop.  Many more people are familiar with it and know how to navigate it as opposed to the eshop where some are likely afraid to search through it.

Ultimately, it's just another way to buy the digital games from Nintendo and I figure more options is always better than less most of the time.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 05:45:54 PM »
Those download code cards were for customers that don't have credit cards.

Or for people who don't want to use credit cards.  After stories about Microsoft automatically charging for XBox Live and the PSN hack I don't like putting my credit card number into game consoles, so I only use the cards. And I end up spending a lot more on XBL and PSN than the eShop because being able to get a $10 or $20 code right from Amazon instead of actually going to the store lets me make more low price impulse buys.  With eShop cards when I actually am at the store I usually don't even think of it or have forgotten what I wanted to buy in the first place so I don't even bother.

To be fair, Walmart.com offers digital eShop code deliveries in as little as $10 increments...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Cyrian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 05:52:55 PM »
To be fair, Walmart.com offers digital eShop code deliveries in as little as $10 increments...

Oh! I didn't know that, thanks!

Offline sudoshuff

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 05:57:17 PM »
I wonder if you can use Amazon reward points with these.  That would certainly be an advantage.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 08:14:29 PM »
I don't see why not.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BiteThePillow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 10:07:51 PM »
I use my reward points for eShop cards and Gamestop codes. I don't think there is a restriction on what you can use them for. Amazon will even exchange them for cash if you want them to.
NNID: UltraGoomba
3DS Friend Code: 2208-7006-9833

Offline the_dan_x

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Next Door Gamer
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 04:43:40 AM »
With time the available titles will grow. Nintendo did the same thing with Amazon here in Japan and the initial offerings were kinda lackluster.
Danny Bivens
Japan Correspondent
Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 05:51:49 PM »
Does this mean they've patched things up since the hardware debacle?