Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

Rumor: Just Sniffing Around

<< < (3/6) > >>

Perfect Cell:
I would love to be able to host Lan games. Online would be better, but being able to have 16 linked gamecubes is great. Now give us a new FPS to use this ability

Mingesium:
it would be cool if Nintendo package a rerelease of Goldeneye with the broadband adapters. They could show off the LAN with people playing Goldeneye off the LCD screens. Maybe have a limit of 8 people: 4 Vs. 4 or all out deathmatch.

nolimit19:
lan is ideal for college dorms.

Ian Sane:
"Did Nintendo ever say online would not be an important part of the future? All they said was that it was not profitable RIGHT NOW for a company like Nintendo."

I know but when if it does become profitable is Nintendo going to be able to keep up with MS and Sony who are making sure to get a foothold in the online market?  Sometimes you have to be willing to take a loss in the present to get some profits in the future.  Nintendo not only is not making any online games themselves (or at least not announced any) but they're making it hard for third parties to make online Gamecube games as well.  Besides most online games are connected point-to-point so there's not server maintenance like with an online RPG.  Simple online multiplayer games like Mario Kart Online could easily be done without major server costs.

RickPowers:
That's a VERY important point.  Nintendo has released the hardware for online, but they are making it PAINFULLY difficult for developers to incorporate any online features in their games.  Why on earth should games like Tony Hawk 4 and Ghost Recon need to be without any online component?  Nintendo doesn't NEED to be involved when the game would offer simple peer-to-peer play, there would only need to be a matchmaking server.  This is completely unacceptable.  Third-parties willing to take the plunge to offer online play to their consumers shouldn't have to omit the feature because Nintendo won't release the tools.  I'm sure Nintendo wants to be "first to the party", but that's just silly.  Nintendo drags it's feet, and the format suffers as a result.

My only hope, and it's admittedly a vain one, is that Nintendo does have some sort of all-encompassing online plan in the works, and that's why we haven't seen anything outside of PSO.  Nintendo just wants to make sure everyone is on-board first, and that they have the technology ready.  But I think if Nintendo is going to announce some sort of online strategy, E3 is pretty much the deadline.  After that, anyone that cares will be online with another platform.  What does it tell you that several of a Nintendo website's staff are playing online with Xbox Live JUST to get their online gaming fix?  Nintendo is quickly letting this boat pass them by.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version