Author Topic: w00t. First Topic Ahoy.  (Read 21405 times)

Offline SS4Gogita

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« on: January 31, 2003, 04:13:41 PM »
So, how about that Gamecube, eh?  What did you think of the year 2002, and what do you think 2003 will have in store for our beloved little Cube-that-could?
::Vincent Anderson
::Staff Writer
Planet GameCube

Offline Floydthebarber

• View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2003, 04:18:09 PM »
I see great things in the form of Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc. DAMN that game is going to so rock. People need to pay more attention to it like SOA:L, seriously. Other than that, It's hard to look ahead to anything other than Zelda and Ikaruga. Hopefully an online mario kart by the end of the year PLEASE GOD IVE BEEN A LOYAL NINTENDO FAN!!! heh. So yeah......fresh, virgin forums.....mmm......
::Video Game Extraordinaire::

Offline SS4Gogita

• View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2003, 04:21:47 PM »
Haha, virgin forums, Crazy.  Anyway, a Mario kart game online would rock the house, but to be honest, I'd rather have a SSBM online.
::Vincent Anderson
::Staff Writer
Planet GameCube

Offline Matt

• View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2003, 05:32:23 PM »
I want to see both games.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline JinSuzuki

• View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2003, 05:54:10 PM »
testing.

Yeah, the GC is really a great console.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2003, 06:58:04 PM »
Yo Mr. First-Post Man.  Moderator Ahoy!!
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2003, 09:42:16 PM »
GREAT new forums.  Two thumbs up from me.

Anyways, I have to say that I have no complaints at all about Nintendo's 2003 lineup.  Sales be damned, GameCube is the best console since the SNES.  Average Joe must be convinced of that though.  I think that's where we come in.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline LMSx

• View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2003, 11:02:27 PM »
Something's really slowing down the forums, when I hit back it's like it's loading a whole new page.
Born to run-but prefers a brisk walk.....

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2003, 11:38:29 PM »
Ok so whats the deal with this board, why did the change boards?

Whats gonna happen with the old board?
LZ 2005

Offline LMSx

• View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2003, 11:44:52 PM »
ezBoard blows if you don't have the cash to pay for CSC. There's what, ONE ad on the main page here? Zero pop-ups? Freaking heaven!

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2003, 11:59:47 PM »
Bear in mind that no one ever said the forums would remain ad free.  We're going to be playing around with things quite a bit, which is why the forums are in BETA.  However, we're going to try to stay away from pop-ups if we can.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline LMSx

• View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2003, 12:07:55 AM »
Well, okay. As long as the reply button isn't 'brought to you by Taco Bell', with pyschodelic flashing color ads for priceline.com in the background, I'll be fine.

Offline dogcow

• View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2003, 11:30:47 AM »
test ... looks like the forum is working now  

Offline epicac

• View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2003, 11:55:56 AM »
No avatars?

Offline Zach Adams

• View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2003, 12:15:15 PM »
Yeah where's the avatars? OK OK, so I already complained about that. But I need my blinking Link pic to guard my post.
If any man says he hates war more than I do, he better have a knife, that's all I have to say.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2003, 12:19:55 PM »
The forums don't have the ability built-in to allow off-site avatars (hosted on your own webspace), and having them on our server would be a HUGE bandwidth concern.  Sorry, but it's just not likely to happen unless FuseTalk releases a version to allow off-site avatars.  Sorry, but that's one of the tradeoffs that had to be made.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Zach Adams

• View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2003, 12:28:54 PM »
Eh, ok thats fine. Anyway, I hope you don't mind that I spread the word of this new board in the GAMECUBE DISCUSSION area of the last forum. I certainly didn't find this forum until I read that space shuttle accident news and clicked on Talkback.
If any man says he hates war more than I do, he better have a knife, that's all I have to say.

Offline epicac

• View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2003, 12:52:11 PM »
About the avatars -- I suppose it's not too big a deal, but they're just so instantly recognizable. I think they really help make forums a community instead of just a bunch of faceless screen names talking. Is there an option to make images allowable in signatures, or is the idea of customizable images completely out?

Offline gckinc

• View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2003, 01:03:28 PM »
wow...it looks different, very different...

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2003, 01:20:54 PM »
If they allowed us to have grafics in our sig, that would cause the same bandwidth problem as the avatars...

I thought 2002 was a great year, with Mario, Metroid, Animal Crossing, and so on.  2003 looks like it should be another excellent year for Nintendo and its gamers with the GBA SP, Zelda: Wind Waker, Ikaruga, expanded 3rd party support and so on.  Definatly a great time to own a cube.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2003, 01:33:57 PM »

If they allowed us to have grafics in our sig, that would cause the same bandwidth problem as the avatars...

The problem is mostly that PGC would have to host the avatars. I think that Rick said Fusetalk doesn't have the option for off-site avators.

I think that the problem with graphics in our sig is it would slow down a page and it would get annoying. A little picture in the left side isn't bad, but reading a couple of sentences, picture, , picture, sentence, picture, etc.. would get annoying.

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
    • View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2003, 01:39:37 PM »
These new forums are nice. I hate EZBoard so this is a big improvement. Nice one.
DVDs | Games

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't allow our peopl

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2003, 01:40:05 PM »
The inherent size constraints of avatars are something that would be taken into account as well.  People could post a picture of any size in the sig and there would be fights over what is too big and such.  Sounds like it would be too much work for the mods and not really worth it.

Offline Clonester

• View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2003, 01:49:30 PM »
New PGC Forums = Great Job!!!

Finally I can use the nickname Clonester instead of Clonester11.

If I may add a few suggestions, they are:

1) Get some colour!!! (light and dark alternating purple for the posts would be good, since that is PGC's main colour)

2) Make the person's User Name appear larger on the screen, so if there are no avatar's, then at least something about the person stands out

3) Get some more separation between the Name area and the Post area. A black outline would work good

Other than that, I have no complaints. These suggestions aren't really complaints, just ideas to give the board some personality, which it lacks right now.  
Most Favourite Game Of All Time: Chrono Trigger

Nick Frizzell- Gamecube Heaven Preview Writer
www.gamecubeheaven.tk

Offline WhoDey

• View Profile
w00t. First Topic Ahoy.
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2003, 02:27:07 PM »
Want to join the world's largest free Nintendo site?  If you've got the skills, we've got a few positions open.

PGC is hiring!  We need intelligent, hard-working volunteers to help make Planet GameCube the best it can be.  If you’re interested, please read the list of openings and the application criteria carefully.  (If you can’t follow simple instructions, you’re not cut out for PGC anyway.)

We are mainly looking for people based on location.  If you don’t live in one of these places but still want to join us, please do not apply now.  We hire new staff periodically, and something in your field will probably open up soon.

We need one person in each of these locations.  You don’t have to live exactly in this place, but you need to be close enough to travel there for press events on fairly short notice.  

New York

Minneapolis

San Francisco

Japan

Europe (London)

Australia

Applicants must have some writing experience, preferably with published work either online or offline.  Obviously, you must also be an avid gamer who keeps up with all the latest releases for Nintendo’s systems.  You must be able to work with others and take on writing assignments, even if it means writing about a game you could care less about.  (Though we do try to make sure that doesn’t happen.)  You must be able to write in a timely manner and accept edits and critiques of your work before it is published on PGC.

Applicants that have access to digital cameras and/or digital video cameras are also a plus.

Your application should include an introduction to yourself, some personal information (age, location), at least one writing sample (preferably on the subject of games), and a resume if you have one.  Web links to writing samples and resumes are fine.  If you have photo evidence of your Nintendo fanaticism, feel free to include it with your application, though zeal for Nintendo’s games and systems is no substitute for writing skills.  Above all, make your application interesting, unique, and brief.

When you have read this page thoroughly and have assembled your application materials, send them to louiethecat@planetgamecube.com.  Please optimize file attachments as much as possible, i.e. zip up large numbers of documents and compress pictures.  Selections will be made within 2-3 weeks.  Only those selected will be contacted.