Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674332 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Thread: about to take our talents to Brooklyn
« Reply #1575 on: August 03, 2019, 04:23:07 PM »
Yeah, can’t afford to lose Green if the Warriors want to stay competitive. I’m surprised he took the extension. He could have gotten a heftier contract by waiting until he hit free agency then re-signing.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 04:24:48 PM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: August 03, 2019, 06:34:29 PM »
probably to save cap space for the betterment of the future of the team
or because he don't know if that injury bug is still lurking around the Warrior locker room....
Could be better to guarantee $$pay now, than to hold out for $$$pay later.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: August 03, 2019, 08:58:31 PM »
I'm also a bit surprised he didn't wait it out for a bigger contract, but maybe he really likes being in Golden State. Surely his agent would've let him know how much financial difference it makes to wait. Golden State seems to have believed in him and empowered him though, not to mention is an absolutely fantastic fit for his talents (where he doesn't have to score much but can still be extremely effective).

But injury and age are fair concerns. Green didn't look good for a lot of the season, and while he got right for the playoffs it's hard to imagine a team really opening their wallet for an injured Green - unlike Durant who you just sign regardless.
NNID: ejamer

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1578 on: August 07, 2019, 08:02:51 PM »
Draymond, as good as he is, just doesn't seem like he'd command a max salary on the open market.  I saw some pundits say he was leaving money on the table, but I think it's a lot less than people think.  I think it's about right for his role on the team.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: August 07, 2019, 11:30:17 PM »
I heard he actually has a trade kicker on his contract.

If he gets traded in the first 2 years of his extension, he gets a all the remaining money from the Max Contract he didn't hold out for.
Seems like a good deal for someone that just wants to win, and is willing to leave cap space to get another Maxx player on the roster. If they swerve on him, he gets paid anyway, so win win situation.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1580 on: August 09, 2019, 08:05:43 PM »
Hard to see GS wanting to trade him either way since they're getting a good player on a discount, but that's the point of insurance I suppose.  And it's a better clause to have than not have.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1581 on: August 12, 2019, 04:45:16 PM »
Looks like the NBA released the 2019-2020 schedule.
https://stats.nba.com/schedule/

I am going to post the Suns and Lakers schedule because those are my teams.

Phoenix Suns schedule: https://www.nba.com/suns/press-release/phoenix-suns-announce-2019-20-nba-season-schedule and the LA Lakers schedule: https://twitter.com/LakerFilmRoom/status/1160992740068323328/photo/1

I am going to try and make it out to a few Suns home game this year. Home game with the Lakers should be good on the 12th of November and the Pels on the 21st of November should be exciting to see how Lonzo, Ingram and Hart fare versus Booker, Bridges and Ayton.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 07:23:38 PM by BeautifulShy »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: August 12, 2019, 07:44:55 PM »
I’d go to a Sixers game except they’re good again so you know, good luck trying to get a reasonably priced ticket against the Lakers.

Unrelated: Does anyone have League/Team Pass? How is it? Are nationally televised games blacked out? Or only local games? I looked it up, but I’m having trouble with the wording. I can live with not seeing the Lakers in Philly. I don’t want to pay $200/$120 if 31 Lakers games get blacked out.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: August 12, 2019, 11:41:05 PM »
Looks like the Schedule Gods are going a bit easier on the Jazz this year than they were last season. The first few months are just SLIGHTLY less of a murder gauntlet this year, with only a few week stretches of truly difficult teams. By the same token, though, there are also only a few stretches of "easy" teams, so it's a pretty balanced schedule overall. It'll be interesting to see if this new Jazz squad will actually manage to play consistently, rather than playing down to the easier teams as they've been known to do in the past.

Apparently, one of the league's big focuses this year was reducing the number of back-to-back games, and I'm definitely seeing that here.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 11:42:39 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: August 13, 2019, 12:12:31 AM »
https://stats.nba.com/schedule/#!?TeamID=1610612744&PD=N

Damn, we play the Thunder 3 times in the first 30 days..... they trying to dispense that off our books as quickly as possible. LOL
Some good warm up games from them before we really gotta turn it on leading up to the Xmas game.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: August 13, 2019, 12:19:19 AM »
https://stats.nba.com/schedule/#!?TeamID=1610612744&PD=N

Damn, we play the Thunder 3 times in the first 30 days..... they trying to dispense that off our books as quickly as possible. LOL
Some good warm up games from them before we really gotta turn it on leading up to the Xmas game.

You also face the Jazz 3 times before the middle of December. Enjoy.

Of course, if last season is any indication it's going to take Donovan half the season to get into his groove, so you never know.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 12:23:59 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: August 15, 2019, 02:33:59 PM »
aaaaaaaaaand Boogie tore his ACL.

I think this is pretty much it for his career.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: August 15, 2019, 02:56:40 PM »
Nah, I doubt his career is over. However, that’s it for a big payday. DeMarcus Cousins is so skilled that teams will take a chance on him as long as they don’t have to pay him a lot. He signed with the Lakers for $3.5 million. I think he signed a one-and-one. Even if Cousins returns in the playoffs, I don’t know how many teams next year will pay him more than the minimum. Most teams won’t have cap space, and those that do won’t overpay for Cousins coming off another injury. The Lakers will gladly keep Cousins if he opts in. Take that chance. If he gets hurt again, it was only $3.5 million. Who else were they going to sign?

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: August 15, 2019, 06:54:23 PM »
aaaaaaaaaand Boogie tore his ACL.

I think this is pretty much it for his career.

So his attitude has always made me question how great he could be... but there is no argument the guy is amazingly talented. This is a real shame, because if he came into the season healthy it would've been a huge win for the Lakers.

My real question is how many other significant injuries will there be on their team?  I have zero confidence in Davis staying healthy for a whole season - the only question is when and how long he's hurt. LeBron also seems like a guy who's had a blessed career (regarding health) until last year.  How long will that last given his age and mileage?

Lakers fans must be holding their breath that this whole thing doesn't go up in smoke...
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: August 16, 2019, 12:26:55 AM »
Lakers fans must be holding their breath that this whole thing doesn't go up in smoke...
Not really.

The problem for James last year and Davis his entire career was the need to carry the team. The Lakers have a solid roster that fits well around them. It admittedly isn’t perfect. They’re intentionally keeping a roster spot open for Andre Iguodala because they need another defensive minded wing. With Cousins out for most of the year, the center position is looking a bit thin. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Lakers bring back Dwight Howard. I wouldn’t love it, but beggars can’t be choosers.

Then again, the Lakers did just sign Kostas Antetokounmpo. There are other, younger options than Howard.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 12:31:36 AM by Adrock »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1590 on: August 16, 2019, 01:04:54 AM »
Well with Boogie being out likely for the rest of the season the Lakers may need to juggle their starting lineup. 

I am seeing a few options. 
PG: Bradley
SG: Green
SF: LeBron
PF:Kuzma
C: Anthony Davis

or

PG: LeBron
SG: Green:
SF: Kuzma
PF: Davis
C: McGee

Either way the Lakers could need a backup center.

This article mentions several options and others the Lakers should stay away from.

https://hoopshype.com/2019/08/15/demarcus-cousins-acl-joakim-noah-amare-stoudemire-dwight-howard/

Have a look: Marreese Speights,  Amir Johnson, Joakim Noah, Kenneth Faried and Aric Holman.
Highly Unlikely: Howard, Bogut, and Johnathon Williams.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: August 16, 2019, 01:49:35 AM »
That's tragic for Boogie.... Bet that "insulting" contract from the Pelicans is sounding mighty good right now tho.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1592 on: August 16, 2019, 07:15:26 PM »
What could've been a feel-good story of a player betting on himself ended with back-to-back regular season skipping injuries.  It really sucks that the injury bug got to him before a major payday.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: August 18, 2019, 10:54:53 AM »
There are reports the Lakers are interested in Dwight Howard. Maybe I’m cynical, but it sounds like Howard’s camp trying to drum up interest in him. He’s currently under contract with the Grizzlies, but everyone expects him to be bought out. Unlike Andre Iguodala, there’s little to no market for Howard.

Some Lakers fans say Howard burned bridges in Los Angeles. I’m not sure I agree. He did what was best for his career. Re-signing with the Lakers in 2013 would have been a bad move. My skepticism rests with Howard’s maturity, notably the ability to understand his role. If the Lakers sign him, they need him to bruise against big men, defend, rebound, and occasionally dunk. The offense will never run through him. One, he was never good enough for that. Two, he’s 33. Three, this has to be Anthony Davis’ team.

Yeah, LeBron James is on the team and he’ll get the attention and adulation. James is the best player on the team when he wants to, but Davis will be the most consistently best player on the team because he’s younger and entering his prime. Point being, Howard would have to know and fully accept his role. No whinging. Play 15 to 20 minutes and do the grunt work.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1594 on: August 18, 2019, 06:13:33 PM »
While I am against Howard joining the Lakers under principle with how he left LA and how he was jumped between 4 teams in the past 4 years... if and only if is he there to do the defensive duties he was know for with maybe some passing out to the abundance of shooters this team has it might just work.  I personally haven't seen Dwight play since the Rockets days but he is likely the best option at the center position. The problem is that the Grizzlies have him under contract and they also have Iggy and I wonder if they are going to want some type of compensation for buying both those out. If we want both then we are going to have to waive one player and I am not sure who that would be.

Here is the current training camp roster for the Lakers.

LeBron James (Fully guaranteed)
Anthony Davis (Fully guaranteed)
Kyle Kuzma (Fully guaranteed)
DeMarcus Cousins (Fully guaranteed)
Danny Green (Fully guaranteed)
Alex Caruso (Fully guaranteed)
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (Fully guaranteed)
Rajon Rondo (Fully guaranteed)
JaVale McGee (Fully guaranteed)
Avery Bradley (Fully guaranteed)
Quinn Cook (Fully guaranteed)
Troy Daniels (Fully guaranteed)
Jared Dudley (Fully guaranteed)
Talen Horton-Tucker (Fully guaranteed)
Zach Norvell Jr. (Two-way contract)
Kostas Antetokounmpo (Two-way contract)
Aric Holman (Exhibit 10 contract, meaning he can be converted into a two-way player or waived, but with a bonus for going to the South Bay Lakers and staying at least 60 days)
Devontae Cacok (Exhibit 10)
Jordan Caroline (Exhibit 10)
Currently open spot, the Lakers have one guaranteed contract left and no available two-way slots

I mean they could waive THT and have two guaranteed contracts open or waive Zach Norvell Jr and then have THT on a two way contract or just forget about Iggy and get Dwight.

I do imagine that the Lakers want to go to training camp and workout with all the Exibit 10 players and see if they can make the roster so this will likely take some time.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1595 on: August 18, 2019, 07:07:55 PM »
Here is Shams talking about where Howard is at in terms of fit and ego.
https://twitter.com/Stadium/status/1163187439848054784
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: August 18, 2019, 07:41:08 PM »
My understanding is a team can waive anyone. They don't because they still have to pay any guarunteed money to the player for at least the duration of the contact. That's why you typically only see a payer waived on the last year of their contract unless using the stretch provision still allows the team to have flexible cap space (e.g. Luol Deng last season).

If the Lakers want to sign Dwight Howard, they can use the open roster spot unofficially reserved for Andre Iguodala. Should Iguodala become available later this season if/when the Grizzlies lose that game of chicken they're playing with like two or three teams for assets, the Lakers will probably waive Troy Daniels. He's a fringe NBA player who does one thing really well (shoot three pointers). Daniels is on a one-year veterans minimum deal. Waiving him wouldn't affect any long-term plans. Teams can sign as many veteran minimum players as they want unless they're over the apron an/or don't have roster spots left. If anyone else became available, I'd expect Jared Dudley to be next in the waive line. Still, I think he has value as a positive locker room presence as well as logging in some minutes when LeBron James is on load-management/DNP-rest.

I'm not bitter toward Dwight Howard. Had he re-signed in 2013, the Lakers would have been better but still bad. They would have lost all those first-round draft picks which means no Anthony Davis. Maybe they would've been able to flip Howard for something, but I doubt it. Bringing in a (hopefully) humbled, role-player Dwight Howard for the veterans minimum is a low risk, high reward move. If he's a distraction, he can still be waived.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: August 18, 2019, 09:20:50 PM »
Grizzlies have granted the Lakers permission to speak with Dwight Howard. It could merely be due diligence.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1598 on: August 20, 2019, 12:52:01 PM »
It looks like the Lakers are holding workouts for 4 players to bring in for the roster. Those 4 are Dwight Howard, Joakim Noah, Mo Speights and Marcin Gortat.

Mo is more of a stretch big and Noah is more of a defensive center. Gortat was good for the Magic and Suns but that was several seasons ago so he may not be the best option. Finally Howard is Howard and is he the best fit with the Lakers?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1599 on: August 20, 2019, 05:50:14 PM »
Finally Howard is Howard and is he the best fit with the Lakers?

Absolutely.  They can re-create this iconic image, only with Anthony Davis: