Author Topic: Episode 15: WIREFRAME BUBBLE ATTACK  (Read 7249 times)

Offline Kikori

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Episode 15: WIREFRAME BUBBLE ATTACK
« on: August 28, 2012, 01:28:00 AM »

The Famicrew try and stay cool, by venting about NSMB2!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/famicast/31427

Battling an intensely hot, humid Tokyo summer, the Famicrew returns for more great Japan chat!

New business takes up a huge section of the show with a group discussion about New Super Mario Bros 2, the original NSMB and even NSMB Wii. Which version comes out on top? This of course leads to a debate about digital releases, the pricing and future of download games in Japan.

Minoru goes old school with the GameBoy game, Star Fox Zero. OK, that's not what it's called, but if you're a Nintendo fan you should be able to work out what that is!

Daan, meanwhile, comes back from his third go at Wii U at Gamescom. At this point I think he's played it more than Reggie has!

The news segment has your usual mix of crazy and cool. Note that this was recorded BEFORE the World Ends with You announcement, although you may be surprised at how accurate we were anyway!

Life in Japan tackles the long held notion that Japanese players don't play (or don't like) Western games. Is it true? We gather comments from a range of Japanese gamers, including our very own, and pose that very question. Plus, is voice chat really the "Bane" of Japanese gamers existence? Let the games (discussion) begin!

In the letters segment, listen as Danny gets 10 years of suppressed memories off his chest, as to why he prefers gaming on the go in Japan compared to back in the US of A!

Get your ice-packs ready, cos this episode is HOT!

Minoru Yamaizumi

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 15: WIREFRAME BUBBLE ATTACK
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 02:18:19 AM »
Radio Trivia: Famicast Edition!

Listen to the episode first then check back here to see how many you guessed right!

1. New Super Mario Bros (8 bit)
2. Brain Age
3. Calling - The World Ends With You
4. Animal Crossing - Main Theme
5. Bubble Bobble
6. Batman - The Dark Knight (Ending).

Good luck and enjoy the episode!
For questions & comments on this episode sound off below, for new topics/questions be sure to check out our always-informative "NWR Japan Crew" thread right here.

I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 02:25:48 AM »
That was some really light skewering. You shouldn't have hyped it up James, I'm disappointed!

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 02:43:09 AM »
That was some really light skewering. You shouldn't have hyped it up James, I'm disappointed!
Oh ho ho, sounds like a challenge! ACCEPTED!

PS: You must be the fastest podcast downloader in the west, impressive!
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline geo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 10:55:55 AM »
Woooo new famicast!

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 09:11:28 PM »
The roundtable I mentioned in the first segment of this show did get turned into a site feature, you can read mine and Danny's comments (and many others!) there!

I've since 5-starred NSMB2 and am just working on Coin Rush to get the million (currently 380,000) let's see if the "best StreetPass mode since StreetPass Quest" holds up!
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 09:24:27 PM »
So for those of you planning on buying Western WiiUs, are you concerned that the downloads are going to have an IP or foreign credit card block?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 09:48:52 PM »
By the way, about the game show-based game you mentioned on the sales chart, I think there was a US version of the show made a few years back called "Cha$e". As I recall, it was on the SciFi network.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 09:51:42 PM by yoshi1001 »
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 05:39:33 AM »
So for those of you planning on buying Western WiiUs, are you concerned that the downloads are going to have an IP or foreign credit card block?
There isn't a precedent for that. Netflix and other video services are another thing though...

By the way, about the game show-based game you mentioned on the sales chart, I think there was a US version of the show made a few years back called "Cha$e". As I recall, it was on the SciFi network.
Nice! Sounds very similar.
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline JasonMaivia

• On the ShyGuy list.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 05:28:19 AM »
I loved the show, guys.  I've only guessed songs 1, 4, and 5 correctly.  I knew the tune for #1, but was it ever used in any game?

How would I describe the show?  ...Yummy?
For some odd reason, the thought of fluffy carrot cake kept popping in my head.

The ending was great.  Please keep up the good work!

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 04:58:20 AM »
I loved the show, guys.  I've only guessed songs 1, 4, and 5 correctly.  I knew the tune for #1, but was it ever used in any game?

How would I describe the show?  ...Yummy?
For some odd reason, the thought of fluffy carrot cake kept popping in my head.

The ending was great.  Please keep up the good work!
Well done, No.5 was tough, you must be a fan of the series? As for No.1, you are correct in noticing that it's never been used, as with many tunes in the Famicast, it's a 8-bit chiptune remix of the original song :D

As for your description of the show, I'm at a loss what to say, but "thanks" and I like carrot cake too?  :P:

With so much news from Japan that hit right after this podcast aired, wouldn't it be awesome if there was another Famicast really soon...... :-X
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline JasonMaivia

• On the ShyGuy list.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 02:39:05 PM »
Another Famicast episode?
Yes, please, and thank you!

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 10:37:52 PM »
Loved the episode, as usual.   Danny, the way you just flat out said "Oh, there's no way the World Ends With You announcement is for an Iphone game" was clasic.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 01:10:55 AM »
It took a while, but I finally got a chance to listen to the episode. Well done as always, gents!

I was surprised to hear that the paranoia, for lack of a better term, about putting your name out there in Japan extended to using pseudonyms on podcasts. Way to take a courageous stand, Minoru!

*IF* that's your real name...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 01:59:27 PM »
It took a while, but I finally got a chance to listen to the episode. Well done as always, gents!

I was surprised to hear that the paranoia, for lack of a better term, about putting your name out there in Japan extended to using pseudonyms on podcasts. Way to take a courageous stand, Minoru!

I'm sure its really Bob ... and He's a Builder.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kikori

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 02:45:57 AM »

I'm sure its really Bob ... and He's a Builder.

Yeah, (don't) google my name.  :cool;
Minoru Yamaizumi

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 03:15:40 AM »
Minoru, are you the same one that Google says works for a Department of Crosslinguistic Studies?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20