Author Topic: Silicon Knights and Nintendo break up  (Read 62786 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Silicon Knights and Nintendo break up
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2004, 01:33:21 PM »
Its kinda sad seeing SK and Nintendo "split up" I enjoyed SK's offerings on cubes. With all and that, you guys are kind of taking this too hard and turning this thread into a big soap opera.  

EDIT: I agree with Wes on the M$ thing they better not scoop up SK cause i dont feel like buying a xbox ontop of my cube and ps2.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2004, 01:38:03 PM »
The thread below this one actually shows Gamespots article, and it specifically says SK exclusivity is "Contractually over", which IGN didn't make a big deal about.  But it leaves the door open for Nintendo to take a big lump of cash, and invest it into SK.  Unless of course, Sony or MS already did months ago...
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Doobie

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2004, 01:52:12 PM »
do you think maybe this has anything to do with what was said last week about Nintendo acquiring new technology and new developers? i just think its weird we hear about a huge second party for nintendo leave a week after we heard that big annoncement. might have something to do with each other.
"Why my piggy, I loveded you piggy, I loveded you!"

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
RE: Silicon Knights and Nintendo break up
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2004, 01:57:45 PM »
I would love to see SK games on the x-box, however I believe it will be Sony.
I really think this would be good for SK as well.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2004, 02:02:00 PM »
Id love to see SK talent on any kind of platform I just dont want to see them bought out by microsoft, then assimilated into MS studios like Rare. Even rare doesnt  deserve  to be assimilated.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2004, 02:03:46 PM »
I have just one question. It should be obvious but I can't find a direct statement anywhere.

Does Nintendo still own stock in Silicon Knights?

See, all I can find that's set in concrete is that there is no more exclusivity deal. But that could still happen with Nintendo owning stock... just look at Sony and Square.

If Nintendo still owns stock, then that means Nintendo didn't kick them out, they just let them develop for other platforms too.

Maybe all this means is that SK paid Nintendo to do this so they could port over Twin Snakes to other consoles, then SK will just continue making games for Nintendo.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline SLIVER

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2004, 02:19:48 PM »
This is what they deserve, stupid Nintendo must have pissed them off really bad. Example: Did anyone ever see a single commercial of the Twin Snakes? I know this is Konamis responsability, but If i was owner of Nintendo I would of atleast mentioned it. Alot of people still don't know about this game unless they use the Internet alot.

All in all i think Nintendo Deserved this big time they did not appreciate their work very much. I for one are glad this happened!!

Hopefully they will now appreciate their work more and take them back?
So much for Too Human!!
"Nintendo, where dreams never come true"
Mario Tennis, Too Human, Eternal Darkness 2.

(NINTENDO IS AFRAID OF CHANGES!) "YOU COWARDS, TAKE IT LIKE A MAN"

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2004, 02:31:11 PM »
the question  for me.....where am i gonna work when i get out of college...frankly now im not sure. This news is making me go insane.....silicon knights...hmmm
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2004, 02:56:18 PM »
I've posted this in another thread, but i'll state it here as well.  I find it strange that SK, (IE Denis) can't talk about any specifics now, when the contract is up.  Either they've become another companies second party already, or maybe SK is using this leak to gain some leverage in ongoing negotiations with Nintendo.  Any possibility of theory number 2?
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2004, 02:59:47 PM »
I reserve final judgement until I get more details on what has happened, but this isn't like Rare. I'm not very happy about this. Nintendo is on very thin ice with me and the temperature keeps rising. Between Iwata's insane statements, Nintendo's flat out refusal to market the few mature titles it produces, and crap like this...I'm damn near the brink. At least during the N64 era I was continually wowed by Nintendo's in house games. While I own a few, there has been no in-house Nintendo title that has floored me. I loved F-Zero but that done by AV, Eternal Darkness was stellar but that was done by SK, replaying MGS on Cube was and is a blast. Wind Waker had great presentation but I got half way through and just flat out stopped playing. Normally I can't pull myself away from a Zelda title, but between WW and MM I haven't truely enjoyed a Zelda title since Ocarina of Time. I loved Mario 64 but half way through Sunshine I just didn't feel like playing anymore. Were they bad games? No but If I truly think a game is stellar I can't pull myself away until I complete it. I beat Beyond Good & Evil in a few days because I just had to complete it. There has been a game from Nintendo that has done that from all generation. I hope the Big N shapes up because both my X-box and PS2 have six inches of dust on them. If Nintendo falters...I'm gonna have to find a new hobby.

::crosses his fingers:: Please DS, have that Nintendo magic.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline NeonDestruction

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2004, 03:14:46 PM »
I completely understand you with the 1st party Nintendo games this generation.  There was something lacking in both Mario Sunshine and Zelda.  I put down Sunshine halfway through and haven't picked it up since.  I did beat Zelda, but it didn't measure up to Ocarina or Link to the Past.  I don't understand what has happened to Nintendo.  They used to have the best graphics, best play mechanics(still good), most innovative ideas, and overall the best games.  I hate to say it but they are second rate now.  I just wonder if something has occurred internally at NCL--maybe they have lost a lot of their staff???

THis news of SK leaving has put me over the edge.  Bad Marketing, less-than-spectacular games, terrible gaming philosophies, losing third parties, losing second parties--it all adds up.  Nintendo isn't doing something right.  They need to figure it out fast, and more importantly they need to pull something magnicificent out of their hat come E3, and something even greater for E3 2005 (New console).  If not, the GCNext might be the first Nintendo console I will not buy (Other than Virtual Boy).

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2004, 03:39:02 PM »
God, seriously, you act like Nintendo chewed Silicon Knights up, spit it out, called it sh!t and then sold them to Atari. From what I'm reading SK is simply a 3rd party like it was before, and it is totally free to continue a relationship with Nintendo while working on other consoles. Then you go on to say that you will never buy another Nintendo console again, Nintendo is failing, Nintendo disrespects all their second parties, Nintendo is going bankrupt, wah wah wah.
I seriously don't know why I bother coming to these forums anymore when every day you just deride Nintendo and second guess them constantly. If I wanted that I'd go to the IGN forums.

Offline chaos

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2004, 03:45:20 PM »
Expect Silicon Knights to be a form of collaboration company between other companies and possibly Nintendo
Well I get that feeling from previous interviews
But I suppose the only ones who do know are Nintendo and Silicon Knights
To The finder... the island of Koholint, is but an illusion... human, monster, sea, sky... A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye... Awake the dreamer, and Koholint will vanish much like a bubble on a needle... Cast-Away, you should know the truth!

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2004, 03:48:10 PM »
more drama please, can i hear a Nintendo is doomed up in here? oh wate i allready have in like every second post.

BREAKING NEWS: i'm breaking up with my pants, please angst and drama about it in multiple threads.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2004, 03:48:12 PM »
Taizanmeidoushitenezumiippiki

[Japanese translation: There was a great deal of fuss, but little came of it]
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2004, 04:13:45 PM »

Originally posted by: DeadlyD
If this is true then this might effect myself getting MGS:TS when its released finnaly in Aus

Not much chance of that, I'm afraid. Atari 'released' the game about two weeks ago in very limited supply, it's already discontinued here. Hurray for publishers screwing Nintendo over every chance they get.

I don't see why everybody is spewing up here, they've claimed to continue making games for GameCube. Why the hell should we care if the same game gets a lousy PS2 port later on? Oh noes! Now more gamers will have the chance to play SK's games! Disaster.

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2004, 04:18:31 PM »
because now it doesn't necessarily mean that their games WILL be coming to nintendo's console.  it's a good move by SK; their material might do better on a PS2 or xbox.  but chances are these platforms will be the platform of choice (as it is now) and nintendo will get the shoddy ports (as it is now).
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2004, 04:25:54 PM »
You know, the more I think about it the more I think that Nintendo will keep its stock in SK but let them develop for other consoles seeing as how they're content doesn't sell well on Gamecube.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2004, 04:26:13 PM »
Nintendo is teh doomed!

Seriously, no one knows much right now, but my first reaction was somewhere around .......f***, and .....what the hell?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2004, 04:29:37 PM »
I'll wait for more information before I decide what to think about this. I will only be angry if SK develop games exclusively for another console, but i don't think that's too likely. Or if someone like Microsoft or EA scoops them up, that'd make me pretty angry too, but i don't think that's too likely either. Meh. While Eternal Darkness was an amazing game, it took them like 4 years to release it, and Twin Snakes is nothing special, i mean it's an awesome game, i love it, but i think it could have been as good or maybe even better if another company developed it, meh...

Maybe this is one huge sanity effect for ED2. Or not.

lolz may b nokia r plannig to buy them

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2004, 04:29:37 PM »
Ill make it simple for you guys. Nintendo needs to increase its market share, if it plans on staying in the console race. If its market share tumbles, eventually it will  be forced out into the Third Party buisness just like Sega. How will Nintendo increase its market share, when its loosing third parties like nobodys buisness, and now its loosing its critically acclaimed seccond parties, companies once exclusive to the console. Sure its good for Silicon Knights, but its Not  good for Nintendo, not by any means. Why would a prospective buyer, buy a Nintendo console  when companies like Silicon Knights are now on the other two consoles? They wont. Hence no increase in market share, hence Nintendo realistically going the way of sega. Simple enough?  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2004, 04:31:56 PM »
From a business perspective, Silicon Knights probably only make up like 0.05% of Nintendo's profits. It's not that bad for Nintendos market share.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2004, 04:37:13 PM »
i swear this is all a dream world...i thought i heard voices last night....sure enough i get up and this...its all an illusion from xelatoth....i must be full blown wacky...to think a few minutes ago i was driving
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline WhoDey

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2004, 04:38:37 PM »
Yep, they are free to continue to make game for Nintendo's console...but do you really think they will? The market for their games is clearly on the XBox and PS2. That tranlates to them making more money with the XBox and PS2. Just like most other 3rd parties, Nintendo will be left with the shoddy ports, if anything at all. Seriously, Capcom is the only 3rd party that really makes special games for the GC and I expect that to end any day.

The news wouldn't be nearly as disappointing if they really were just going to make games for the XBox and PS2 along with quality games for the GC. But as any GC owner will attest to, we know that's not how it will work out.

I don't know who is to blame...Nintendo? SK? The GC user base? It really doesn't matter. But it's becoming increasingly clear that to be a Nintendo console owner you almost have to pick up a 2nd console to fill in the gaps Nintendo can't cover...(rpg's, sports, mature titles).  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2004, 04:41:01 PM »

Yep, they are free to continue to make game for Nintendo's console...but do you really think they will? The market for their games is clearly on the XBox and PS2.

I don't think so. Flashy games sell on Xbox and PS2, Eternal Darkness is the opposite of flashy, and i think it would fly right over most PS2 and Xbox casual gamers heads.