Author Topic: 2nd console opinion  (Read 5896 times)

Offline pookycarter

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
2nd console opinion
« on: September 07, 2003, 10:21:27 AM »
Whats up guys

For all of you who own more than one console, I need your help.  I've had my gamecube sicne it came out, and of course I gotta have all my Nintendo games.  But the 3rd party situation has been really pissing me off lately, and I'm beginning to feel the need to get another system to satisfy my gaming needs.  Which would be the better buy, ps2 or xbox?  The series I most want to play that's not available on gc is the sega espn sports (formerly 2k series).  I play nfl 2k3 and nba 2k3 all the time.  Thanks for your help!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
RE: 2nd console opinion
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2003, 11:08:21 AM »
I would get a PS2.  The Xbox just has dick all that's any good IMO.  At least with the PS2, you can play Xenosaga, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 3, Virtua Fighter 4, Tekken 4, and a few others.  On Xbox you can play... Halo.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:2nd console opinion
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2003, 12:08:06 PM »
Do what I do- research both consoles and make a list of all the games (mainly exclusives) you are interested enough in to buy on each console. First off, I never buy a console unless there's at least 10 games for it I'm interested in- any fewer and the cost isn't justified to me. It may not actually buy that many games, but I at least know the option is there. If the differences between the two lists is large, you have your obvious decision. If the difference isn't that large, look at individual games and think about which console has the games you're more interested in.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2003, 12:11:42 PM »
i have 2 consoles- a ps2 and a gamecube- i would suggest the ps2 if you want rpgs- they have lots of them, not including ones coming out soon and ones on the psx- for me the ps2 was worth it just for the rpgs- but it has some games that are also worth checking out- jak and daxter was good, most games from capcom are good on the system (devil may cry, onimusha series) and the ps2 has some good looking games coming out soon such as killzone (it has a lot of hype around it...we will see if it can live up to it soon), socom 2, mgs 3, star ocean 3, and others i cant remember right now

i dont own, but have played an xbox- that system has mostly shooters- and some good ones at that- halo is good, unreal championship is alright, return to castle wolfenstein is good- but most of the good shooters are one the computer (re: unreal) or shortly coming to the pc (re: halo)- star wars knights of the old republic is also coming on pc soon, but for what its worth its the best rpg on the xbox and a very good rpg on its own right- the xbox has some good games coming out such as halo 2, deus ex 2 (on computer as well), BC, and of course the highly hyped fable which may never come out this generation, but we will see-

so to put it in laymen terms the ps2 is the best system for rpgs and all around games, the xbox is a great system for lots of shooters- hope this helps
i call the big one bitey.

Offline pookycarter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2003, 02:32:36 PM »
Thanks for the help people.  Yeah I did think that the ps2 had a better overall choice of games, though I'm not a real fan of rpgs.  I think I'll do that game list thing, that was a good idea.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2003, 07:41:42 PM »
A Gamecube and an Xbox would be the best combination. Xbox has pretty much the same games as PS2, but better versions of them.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2003, 07:55:23 PM »
lol....  I just find that funny Mario.  There's not one game on PS2 that I want that is also on Xbox.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2003, 07:58:41 PM »
i'd look into how the sports games stack up on PS2 and Xbox, so that you can get some idea of how good either system will be in the short term. Xbox has Xbox Live!, but EA doesn't support Live! and ESPN's support for it is limited, though on the PS2 online's no problem.  
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2003, 12:04:28 AM »
Im mainly talking about multiplatform games. PS2 games i have like GTA3, vice city, ssx tricky, and sports games, are better on Xbox. Plus i prefer Xboxs exclusives over PS2s.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2003, 05:51:36 AM »
if i had to get another console it would probably be xbox. i was at the store the other day and i saw madden 2004. and i was liek dang they still make that thing for the original playstation...but alas it was in fact the ps2's graphics i was looking at. but i admit the main reason i would choose the xbox over ps2 is because i am not a huge fan of rpgs. especially the ones where you have to sit around and watch all day. and the fact that i have played all the ps2 games on my freinds console. but there is no 1 game at this point that would really make me want to buy either. i am a poor colelge student. fable on the other hand, might just do it. i have to check out tthe kinds of ratings that gets. it looks and soudns really cool.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Molobert

• topo de oro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2003, 12:59:29 PM »
I think the decision depends a lot on whether you have a decent computer and/or are willing to play games on it. I say this because many of Xbox's games and many of its "exclusives," like KOTOR, Halo, Splinter Cell, Doom 3, GTA, Counterstrike, are or will soon be on PC. Even if you have a crappy graphics card it could be be 1/2 the price of a new console. IMO some games are better played on the PC because of the precision of mouse control and the keyboard. Also you may want to consider how important graphics are to you, because Xbox multiplatform games typically look better than PS2's, and how much you like FPS/Sports games (the main Xbox game genres).  

Edit: Few more things--
-To play DVD's on Xbox you have to buy a $30 dollar remote.
-PS2's often need to be repaired. I know 6 or 7 people who have broken or semi-broken PS2's.  
-For Xbox live you need to pay $50 a year (I think, not positive about amount), and PS2's service is generally free unless the game requires a fee.  And you need broadband.
-On the PS2, for more than 2-person multiplayer you need to buy a special multitap.
-See which controller you like better, it is VERY important.
But of course the most important thing to consider are the games, and especially exclusive ones. For me, I can get almost all of the games I want on my cube or PC.  

Offline Celebi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2003, 01:15:13 AM »

Plus i prefer Xboxs exclusives over PS2s.

Sounds more like a Xbox fan to me.
You'll know that whenever they speak about how good the graphics are.

About the Ps2 easily getting spoilt/break down well the Xbox also suffers the same too only that because so many PS2 are sold compared to Xboxs,you will see that the PS2 faulty rate is higher.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2003, 06:42:24 AM »
Sony openly admitted after the release that the PS2 is low quality.

Offline Celebi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2003, 09:27:43 AM »

Offline Celebi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2003, 09:29:08 AM »
Go get a Ps2 and get ICO!
http://hk.geocities.com/icofan/
http://ico.scek.co.kr/swf/main_page_last.html
One of the greatest rpg ever!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2003, 12:01:19 PM »
While I agree that Ico is one of the greatest games ever made, it is most definitely not an RPG. It's more of an adventure/puzzle/kick @$$ game.

Also, Sony's products do tend to break down after a while- I know a guy who's on his 3rd PS2 because his other 2 stopped working. The XBox and Gamecube are roughly equal in terms of breakages, and both much lower than the PS2.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Celebi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2003, 09:07:57 PM »
I bought my PS2 2 years ago and till today it didn't break down.I have a few friends who have PS2s and I haven't seen any of theirs breakdown as well.But I did saw a Xbox due for repair that day at my friend's shop.It was on the table waiting to be taken back by the supplier.
I have one thing to say though the newer PS2s are much better quality than those old ones.They have better ventilation and circuits which makes them run cooler.By end of this year the newest version of PS2 has an all in one processor which integrates the EE and GS into one chip using a sophisticated 90nanometer process.That should even make it run more cooler consuming only 8 watts compared to the current 37watts for the present 2 chips solution.That's less than 1/4 the total power consumed by the current one today.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2003, 01:28:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Celebi

Plus i prefer Xboxs exclusives over PS2s.

Sounds more like a Xbox fan to me.
You'll know that whenever they speak about how good the graphics are.

hahahhaha this is classic, Mario has a GCN and a PS2, not xbawx this is one of the reasons the internet console comunity annoys me, no-one is aloud to express opinions. *waits for mario to come post something*

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2003, 01:37:08 AM »
OMFG D00d d1d u guys here about halo 2?! u can hld 2 GUNZ AT A TIME! omfgf! and im not an xbox fan lolz, i cant help the FACT that blinx and hayloe r the best gamez ever lol!

Seriously though, i was rolling of the floor laughing when i saw you called me an xbox fan.

Offline Celebi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2003, 05:42:14 AM »
Lol I must have misintepreted your posts.
Sorry there ok.
Probably I went to too much forums talking.

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2003, 04:16:46 PM »
Whichever you decide to get I would advise waiting just a little bit until Christmas and see if any good deals come up.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2003, 07:14:48 PM »
I would suggets GC and a PC, but thats me.  A ps2 and gc seems just as well.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates