Author Topic: Google Stadia  (Read 47935 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Google Stadia
« on: March 19, 2019, 01:33:34 PM »
Everything sounds great until your internet doesn't work.

Also, be weary of that style matching tech teqila showed. That is going to lead the way to advanced deep fakes.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 01:45:48 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Google Stadia
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 01:45:21 PM »
But how many ducks can it render at once Phil Harrison? Can you answer me that?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 01:47:15 PM »
the question is can I play Assassins Creed Origins on this Wii U now?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 05:50:09 PM »
Complete lack of ownership, a reliance on internet infrastructure that doesn't exist outside 3 cities across the US, and latecy-prone gameplay? And all this from a company known to arbitrarily ban accounts, potentially stealing someone's entire Stadia library on a whim?

I hope this thing dies in a catastrophic fire. It's an anti-consumer as it comes, and it's exactly everything bad the game industry has been moving toward for the last decade.

Hopefully Sony & Microsoft take this backlash into account when designing their upcoming hardware.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 06:51:34 PM »
I didn't watch the presentation but heard the play-by-play.  I have 100 mbps and a 1TB data cap that we get close to hitting each month with netflix and video games.  I don't see how this fits in my life without paying extra on other bills, and even when I paid for 200mbps up with a 2TB data cap, I've had enough issues with consistent connection with my garbage ISP that it's a non-starter for me. 

There's some neat ideas here (save state sharing, not being tethered to just the console box - provided you have the right set of alternate hardware, linking to youtube walkthroughs and it timestamping it to the point you're at so you can watch the point without being stuck or having to muddle through, some of the streaming features), but I have 0 confidence it'll work as advertised.

Hopefully Sony & Microsoft take this backlash into account when designing their upcoming hardware.

Given interviews with Phil Spencer in recent memory, I suspect Microsoft will be following a very similar model, even if it's just a half measure as "offering" a stream console and then having the more traditional console.  Physical media is being ushered out the door and I don't see the clock being turned back on that.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 07:02:08 PM »
I don't like the idea since I'm an old fogey, but this is probably the future.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 07:31:36 PM »
A look at the logo and our old friend Phil.

A shot of the controller

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 08:56:34 PM »
They didn't have the decency to not use the Xbox/Dreamcast button layout.

I sort of want to launch my own console for tinkerers. Like the Ouya, but with more usb ports and better built in game creation software.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 10:07:22 PM »
I like that the controller has some orange on it. Other than that, I’m not really interested in this since I’m still buying physical media like an a-hole.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 11:59:07 PM »
 I'm still buying VHS tapes. Too bad one of my VCRs died. That totally sucks too because I planned on watching old commercials. I usually watch those on youtube, but it sounds like a fun hunt.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 05:49:08 PM »

Also has the d-pad in the primary position, which I don't like, but that may just be a me thing.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 07:52:14 PM »
Will this finally offer a decent gaming platform for MacOS?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 09:27:13 PM »

Also has the d-pad in the primary position, which I don't like, but that may just be a me thing.

I never liked the Dpad in the primary position, but on ps4 it feels alright. I feel like they got the ergonomics down for that one. Though there was an intense scene on Uncharted 4 on the final boss fight where it became an issue, but it wasn't an issue until then. It hasn't been an issue on any other game.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 05:20:55 PM »
I don't want this idea to work because it cuts off any customer ownership of videogames.  This would be the ultimate example of a game disappearing for good if taken off a service.  Even with downloads there is something on your device that theoretically could get hacked to work offline if it needs a constant connection.  This is like pre-VHS when any movie or TV show was broadcast only and if the owners lost the work, it was gone for good.  It's kind of ironic that in this case the NEWER works are at risk to be lost.  I suppose in theory this situation could arise for movies and music as well if everything moves to streaming with no downloads or physical copies at all.

But this idea seems like an idea for 20 years from now.  The latency alone is going to cause all sorts of issues.  And that's assuming you have a fast and stable internet connection with no data cap.  That's not feasible for a significant portion of the market.  I just don't feel we have the infrastructure in place yet for this.  I don't remember who said it, I think it might have been Bill Gates, but he said that in the future the internet will be like electricity where it seemingly just exists everywhere without you putting much thought into it.  I feel like this idea is for that time but we're not there yet.  Hell this is like skipping a step.  We don't have download only consoles yet.  To me that's the next step before outright streaming-only consoles.  Google is jumping from CD players to Spotify without the iPod in between.

While I don't like the idea I do think it's the future.  My views on consumer rights and ownership are outdated.  That doesn't mean they're wrong but the younger generation doesn't have the same value for this stuff that I do.  So society is going this way.  So I think for tech companies to be looking into this is a good idea.  Hell some day all of our "computers" might end up as dumb-terminals for online servers.  But it's too soon to seriously launch this as a product.  Turn based games like Civ are probably the only things that are going to play worth a damn.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 08:32:59 PM »
I think both hard experiences and soft experiences will exist side by side. Much like how PCs and consoles have existed.

Minecraft is a game that is streamed in a way. I used to frequent this server and we built giant cities of stuff. I was lucky enough to download a mod and copy my city. My friends city wasn't so lucky. It is lost forever.

I think this will be kinda good though for things like minecraft. In one of the demos they were talking about a fully destructible city. A fully buildable city is also intriguing. Previously the graphics for something like this was something simple like minecraft, but imagine a game that looks more like Uncharted 4 getting constructed. Minecraft uses 1 foot by 1 foot voxels, but imagine a game constructed out of really really small parts. We're going to have some really crazy co-creative experiences.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 08:44:55 PM »
So based on my Project Stream beta, I think the data caps are going to be a real issue.

I had no idea I even had one until the two times I got this weird janky pop-up from my ISP warning me about it. I was freaked out that I had a virus at first, but it turns out the Stadia tech gobbles data. I don't really understand why, as I had assumed it was basically equivalent to an HD movie stream. I don't understand how button inputs can push the bandwidth use so high.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 09:41:20 PM »
I honestly expect Google to grease the palms of Comcast, Charter, and the like to get a data cap exemption for Stadia.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 09:43:03 PM »
Really how it should work is physics and telemetry data are processed client side and graphics are processed/synched server side.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 01:01:30 AM »
I keep saying Stadia in my head to the tune of the Sega Jingle.

https://youtu.be/ALa8yoZdJUY

Stay-Di-Ahhh

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 08:02:10 AM »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 05:50:35 PM »
I like the Sega yell.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 02:07:26 AM »
People who say it's not gonna work because of poor infrastructure and data caps are hilarious.

How many hours did you spend today watching Netflix, Youtube and/or Twitch? Maybe not many if you have data restrictions but there are people who can easily hit 10 hours of streaming daily. Your infrastructure may be poor but both Netflix and Twitch prove that there are millions and millions and millions of people who are not encumbered by it at all. More importantly -- paying people.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 02:16:43 AM »
People who say it's not gonna work because of poor infrastructure and data caps are hilarious.

How many hours did you spend today watching Netflix, Youtube and/or Twitch? Maybe not many if you have data restrictions but there are people who can easily hit 10 hours of streaming daily. Your infrastructure may be poor but both Netflix and Twitch prove that there are millions and millions and millions of people who are not encumbered by it at all. More importantly -- paying people.

Netflix, Youtube, etc. are not only passive media, but media that's easily compressible. They use far less data than something like streaming gaming and can allow for more latency. The estimates right now is that there would be 20 GB used per hour for 1 person to use Stradia.  I guarantee you that the strain on the infrastructure and resulting cost increase from the ISPs would be exponential if Stradia achieved even a serviceable user base.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2019, 08:49:31 AM »

Once my ISP stops capping me at 1TB data, I'll take this dismissiveness seriously.  Especially with not having cable, my kids and wife using Netflix (especially during colder seasons) quickly bump us near our cap each month. 

Beyond that, even with a 100 mbps plan, my ISP has frequent enough outages where relying on the internet always being there would be crippling to my favorite hobby.

I don't know where you're located, Azeke, but in the US, ISPs have regional monopolies, which means they deliberately slow-walk speeds while kneecapping stuff like this with data caps.  The same company who is trying to sell us the all streaming future also gave up on what could have solved that problem - Google Fiber.  That's because they couldn't break past that same monopolization and pushing through local gov bureaucracies in order to force competition. 

I'm fine with Stadia being a tertiary option on the market, and maybe Google has some black magic that'll make this work better than expected.  But i'm not ready to take them at their word that they have the silver bullet that solves this problem.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2019, 07:04:58 PM »

Netflix, Youtube, etc. are not only passive media, but media that's easily compressible. They use far less data than something like streaming gaming and can allow for more latency. The estimates right now is that there would be 20 GB used per hour for 1 person to use Stradia.  I guarantee you that the strain on the infrastructure and resulting cost increase from the ISPs would be exponential if Stradia achieved even a serviceable user base.

That sounds about right. I put about 50 hours (shudder) into AC: Odyssey over two months, and both times got warned I was close to the 1 TB data cap.