Author Topic: Zap's favorite youtube VG music covers thread (56K beware!)  (Read 11310 times)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Zap's favorite youtube VG music covers thread (56K beware!)
« on: January 29, 2017, 06:11:35 PM »
Our first video is the full soundtrack to the OG Mario Kart, and fittingly, it's made by a trio of fans from Japan wearing homemade paper Nintendo masks. Or maybe they're not fans and just people that Miyamoto kidnapped and forced to play songs for him each evening in his dungeon. Either way, the stringed instrumentation is simple but effective; they even mimic the engine revving before each race:

Just a good live run through of several Mario 3 tunes:

A one-man medley of DKC2 that uses lots of instruments to fill out the sound; I especially like the classical guitar and ocarina on Jib Jig. He transitions several songs to heavy electric guitar--the perfect balance to a game that rocks--and soothes the soul.

Would've loved to see this Mario Kart 64 live cover:

Mega babe covers Majora's Mask:

3 great DKC2 covers by a band that uploaded nothing else on youtube, over 5 years ago:

Super Mario World Castle Theme on a giant organ:

Tom Brier, the world's greatest sight-reading ragtime pianist tackles Yoshi's Island athletic theme:

OUTSTANDING what he does with Super Mario Land:

Mario Brothers 2. Sight read. The first time he saw the sheetmusic, this is what popped out:

Another sight-reading of DKC2:

Animal Crossing K.K. Ragtime

Sadly, Tom was in a terrible accident last summer and is making a slow recovery. It's still up in the air whether he'll play again; as you can see from his friend's youtube page that has several videos of him, he is a gifted individual.

Get well soon Mr. Brier! We're all hoping for you to play again.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 12:42:04 AM by Razzmatazz »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Zap's favorite youtube VG music covers thread (56K beware!)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 03:40:59 PM »
Wish someone would release a fire mixtape will all these mashups on it:

KK Slider vs. Ice Cube

Ludacris & Brawl theme

The anthem of the SelfMii Generation

Edited links.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 03:16:17 PM by Steefosaurus »

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 04:16:58 PM »
That KK Slider/Ice Cube mashup is amazing
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 01:39:27 AM »
Battle of the Baes: two hot violinist chicks vie for my heart (piece). <3 <3 <3

Leaning toward the former, but Lindsey's LOTR cover, filmed in NZ, is super:

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 12:05:06 AM »
Bob-Omb Battlefield pumps me up like NONE OTHER and still does after all these years. I always liked the bass line but would end up caught up in the catchy, bouncy melody and didn't think about it too much. When you isolate the bass you can tell that Koji Kondo had something extra special when he came up with this one. Sit back and funk out to World 1-1 of the 3D era:

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 03:05:28 AM »
Another one to pump you up. This guy tore up GE64 at PAX East 2015. Sadly it's only 6min long:

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 01:27:20 AM »
The above musician just dropped a Mario Galaxy medley, recorded appropriately high above the night city. I can feel my body soaring at Gusty Garden Galaxy. Its hopeful notes rocket me farther and farther into space into another adventure.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 02:19:44 AM »
It's time for me to win this thread now isn't it.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 03:19:36 PM »
A full playthrough with a complete orchestral cover dubbed over the chiptunes, while keeping the sound effects. Great concept! Lovin it.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 11:45:07 PM »

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 12:28:44 AM »
I hate the loading time of this thread. I'm wondering if Zap should take the original post and separate it into multiple posts with a video per post to help. The YouTube thread in the Funhouse seems to load up faster and that's pretty much its method.

That said, I've never commented on this thread but I have liked some of the videos linked particularly the 3 DK2 songs performed by Burning Idol. They nailed those songs.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 01:50:26 AM »
Great idea maybe it would get 3-4 responses instead of 1-2.

Buut I wouldn't want to spam the thread. Maybe a mod can do it?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 02:17:09 AM »
Not really. The only way I could do that is if there were an equal number of posts already that I could cut and paste the links into to put them into separate posts. But mod powers do not allow a person to take a post and turn it into multiple posts. Hence, go ahead and spam the thread. Even if you do 3 videos a post should probably help. I know when Phil did his Happy Time Game Music thread, people participated by giving a link or two to stuff they liked but every post should have had three of less videos per post and it was never a big deal to load the thread. You may want to check it out to just verify that. If you follow that rule, then you only need 4 additional posts to spread out the videos. Leave 3 in the original post and then 4 posts to spread out the other 11.

Otherwise, you could take down a bunch of the links and then just wait and hope others post stuff giving you the opportunity to reply and repost some of those videos over time. But I don't think anyone would begrudge you multiple posts. The thread is about your favorite music anyways so it should be expected that you are going to be posting a lot of content in it. Of course, I'm a user who has made many multiple in a row posts in the past so maybe my view is skewed on their reception but I've always thought they went over great and were happily enjoyed by all who read them! You telling me otherwise? ???
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 09:45:04 PM »
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 03:14:43 PM by Steefosaurus »

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 02:47:00 AM »
From Tom Brier's channel. Remind me again what it was that Sega did that Nintendo didn't? Loved this one as soon as I heard it, and I haven't even played the game.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2019, 02:56:19 PM »
Every once in awhile an absolute madman will descend on us from nowhere, proving his skill and talent in ways we never expected or deserved. This hero has arrived with all kinds of keyboards, drums, accordion, and other kits attached to his body so that he marches in place and acts as a one-man band all himself:

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2019, 03:07:39 PM »
So I'm not sure if I really like that one, but it's definitely impressive. He kinda looks like Beedle carrying all that stuff.

Thought I would've posted this one already, remains my favourite to be honest.
Lower Brinstar, from Super Metroid, jazz cover.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 03:13:58 PM by Steefosaurus »