Author Topic: 2012 Game Of The Year Chat  (Read 7068 times)

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
2012 Game Of The Year Chat
« on: December 23, 2012, 11:30:26 PM »
An informal thread to discuss your highlights of the year in the world of video gaming. Use whatever criteria you want and talk about however many games you want to. Or just do a list if you want to. Or tell other people their picks are stupid. It's your life. 

The Walking Dead - I don't really care for The Walking Dead in any version, except this one. The Walking Dead is an episodic adventure game. There are five episodes and each one lasts a couple hours. The gameplay itself isn't anything special, pretty typical adventure game stuff, but the writing is why I'm talking about this game. In each episode, you make many hard choices that will carry on through the rest of the episodes. In some cases, you choose who lives or dies. You will do things you don't want to, sacrifice people you couldn't imagine losing. There's no "winning" this game, just doing the best you can. It's $20 for the whole season on a number of platforms for download, probably one that you own.

Xenoblade - Moving right past the part where I rant about how I question Nintendo's sanity for not giving this game an immediate and proper release, Xenoblade is a great game. I didn't initially care about it because JRPGs usually aren't my bag, but this game does so many things well. Mostly, the scale of it all is amazing. The first time you get out onto Bionis' knee and see the true size of the titans that you are running around on is a jaw dropping moment. A certain Minnesota Vikings punter wrote an article that was filled with complaints and jokes that were at least six years outdated whining that this game wasn't in HD, but I think it looks pretty damn good. Perhaps the detail of it isn't up to snuff, but this is one of the biggest games I've ever played. On top of that, in my playtime, (I'm not done yet) I have yet to encounter any grinding or filler, which I appreciate. The game is a lot of fun, and probably the most impressive game you can play on your Wii.

Mass Effect 3 - No, I'm not trolling. In fact, Mass Effect 3 is definitely the best game I played this year. Admittedly, a lot of that is because of Mass Effect 1 and 2. In most ways, Mass Effect 2 is the more enjoyable game and overall it is a disappointment that these games have gotten smaller, more linear, and more like shooters as the series has gone on. But much like The Walking Dead, this game is here because it is a narrative achievement. Maybe THE narrative achievement, as far as video games go. BioWare spent two games setting up a game world that feels bigger, more realized, more complex than anything I've seen in the medium. A huge cast of characters, a wide array of races, and loads and loads of conflict. Mass Effect 3, right from the opening, brings those conflicts to a head. The whole game is the ending as you close all of the threads that were opened in the previous games. There's no "right" way to do things in Mass Effect, and you resolve things in the way you best see fit. The game play is still very fun, just more of a shooter. There are set pieces in this game that make Uncharted jealous. As for the final fifteen minutes of the game, I thought it was beautiful. I have a hard time even relating to those who were outraged over it, but I understand that everyone reacts to these things differently. Gamers complained to the FCC and maybe even drew up some lawsuits over things the developers said in the forums or something, but let me quote the Mass Effect 1 instruction manual. "Your actions and decisions will determine the fate of the human race... and shape the future of an entire galaxy." I will argue to the death that BioWare grandly delivered on that promise they made five years ago. For me, this franchise is easily the most important series of games to come out of this console cycle.

So, I have two RPGs and an old school type adventure game. Not my usual selections. Compared to last year where my top two were Super Mario 3D Land and Skyward Sword which are definitely more in line with my usual selections.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Game Of The Year Chat
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 11:44:05 PM »
ZOMBI U

edit: sorry, I was on my phone earlier. Zombi U is the most fun I've had with a game this year. Maybe fun isn't the right word, maybe intensity. It felt fresh in the age of samey games.

Borderlands 2 had a much improved pacing and mission structure compared to its predecessor. I vote it most improved.

Walking Dead
deserves a mention. It took the interactive story approach and did it much much better than heavy rain.

Hotline Miami is overrated.

I need to play more of Journey
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:05:03 AM by ShyGuy »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 12:04:27 AM »
Donkey Kong's Crash Course.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 11:12:40 PM »
The overwhelming majority of games i played in 2012 are from previous years, and out of those like 10 or so of this year's games that i DID play, there simply aren't that many are "game of the year" material.

So i had to prop my list with games from previous years that were technically released this year in my region.

Mark of the Ninja:
I have played 27 minutes on this game, according to Steam.

And i loved every millisecond of it. The originality, polish, gameplay, style -- so good, soooo gooooood.

I can't wait to plow through other games to start this one proper.

Kid Icarus: Uprising
Once i got through control scheme (i had to resort to finger thumb stylus), the game became one of the most fun games i ever played. And yes, dual analog is actually inferior to this scheme, yes even on land.

The dialogue, script, characters, multiplayer, and cinematic experience (not usually seen in Nintendo developed games) coupled with Sakurai's attention to gameplay make for an amazing package.

Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise
Music is a very big part of my enjoyment in games, as i recently discovered. Just good music without fun "gamey filling" won't cut it for me though. Good that RH series is consistently great with both.

WarioWare team at it's best, quirky, strange, cute, charming, original and very, very tough.

Oh and thanks to NoE for dual soundtrack, not that it was needed all that much this time around, the translation is very good this time.

La Mulana
Music, gameplay, exploration, graphical style.
Too bad about those controls.

VVVVVV
This is actually my 2010 GOTY. Thank Nicalis for transplanting it here. Not really much to say about it what hasn't been said.

If you're interested about the game's development you can read developer's blogpost about it, i guess.

"Close but no cigar" category:
Hotline Miami -- this bug and glitch infested pile has glorious soundtrack, style and gameplay

"GOTY? This? Are you for real?" category:
FTL, Walking Dead
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 11:17:09 PM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 11:24:32 PM »
My GOTY is Mutant Mudds, a game which I seem to be the biggest fan of in the world. The game's creator, Jools Watsham, has retweeted my praises of the game on numerous occasions. It's a simple concept, but done just perfectly.

Another pick for me would be Nintendo Land, which is one of the best multiplayer games I've ever played. I can tell it's something I'll be pulling out whenever I have a group of people around for years to come.

On the Non-tendo side of things, I want to bring up Civilization V: Gods & Kings, which offered a significant improvement to what would have been one of my GOTY candidates last year. On a similar note, I'd like to mention Endless Space, which is basically Civilization V in space, and brought back great memories of pouring hours and hours into Master of Orion 2 as a kid.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 01:10:18 AM »
Oooh, yeah, VVVVVV was a 2012 game for me too and one of the best games I played all year. Should have jumped on it sooner.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 03:27:38 AM »
Top 3 in no particular order! I'm sure I posted something like this in the funhouse, but ehhhhh.

SkullGirls - Cherrypick all the good ideas from fighting games, ditch all the terrible ones, and you get this. Also, the best hand drawn 2D animation that was ever in a thing! $15

Double Dragon Neon - Great beatemup, great bro-op, spectacular 80s-ness, and a hundred funny things that happen. I love you Virt~. $15

Katawa Shoujo - CRIPPLE SEX $free

**** big budget games, seriously.

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 05:01:58 AM »
GOTY: Pandora's Tower

Best Handheld Game: Kid Icarus: Uprising

Best Download Game: Journey

Best Free Game: Katawa Shoujo

Best Wii Game: Pandora's Tower

Best PS3 Game: Journey

Best 3DS Game: Kid Icarus: Uprising

Best Vita Game: Gravity Rush

Best Graphics: Dead or Alive 5

Best Score: Journey

Best Song: "I was born for this" (Journey)

Shittiest ****: Mugen Souls

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 07:09:45 AM »
Surprised to see Journey getting so many awards.  It's great but I've played demos that lasted longer.  1.5 hours makes an extremely short game.

Haven't played much of 2012 hits, most of them are still on my backlog minus a few like ME3 which I wouldn't give GOTY too, it's not an bad game but didn't have the cast like ME2 did.

So far I'm loving Trials Evolution, reminds me of excitebike back in the NES days--simple but extremely fun. :)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 08:50:51 AM »
Can I vote for Xenoblade Chronicles as game of the year in 2012 after importing (and voting for) it in 2011 already?  Xenoblade is a massive game experience that perfectly matches my gaming interests,  and there hasn't been anything that beats it out this year.

My shortlist of games that I really enjoyed and have spent a significant amount of time with:

Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)
Project Zero 2: Wii Edition (Wii, import)
La Mulana (WiiWare)
Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)
Colors 3D (3DS eShop)

NNID: ejamer

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 12:21:43 PM »
Can I vote for Xenoblade Chronicles as game of the year in 2012 after importing (and voting for) it in 2011 already?

I don't see why not, usually the awards are for when games are released in North America.

I wish I could nominate any game, but budget issues prevented me from buying any new games this year (the only "new" game I bought was Sonic Adventure on Xbox Live Arcade). I do question all the love Journey got though, I can't see how a game that can be completed 100% in less than 2 hours can win any GOTY award even if it's fun to play.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 04:22:58 PM »
Surprised to see Journey getting so many awards.  It's great but I've played demos that lasted longer.  1.5 hours makes an extremely short game.
That doesn't make it unworthy of being a "best game" candidate. Frankly, most of the games I consider to be top-notch these days are fairly short, with a few exceptions maybe. The main problem I have with long games is that they're "just long", nothing more – it seems to me that the creators are trying to put in content that doesn't quite work just to drag the game on.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 05:04:23 PM »
But if you can finish the game in one normal sitting, it is too short really to be GOTY. A game can be too long, but it can be too short too.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 10:21:15 PM »
But if you can finish the game in one normal sitting, it is too short really to be GOTY. A game can be too long, but it can be too short too.
I've played Mark of the Ninja for less than half an hour. I am more than content about placing it in my list.

I forgot Trials: Evolution -- also a great game, very deserving of GOTY. And i only played a demo of it. I played it for five hours or so, replaying the same demo levels. I am in closed beta for PC port of it though.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 11:34:03 PM »
I also want to mention FIFA 13, since I've spent more time with it than everything else on Wii U combined. It uses the GamePad as well as anything out there, and I've sunk over 30 hours into my Career Mode file, battling to get promoted from League 1 to the Championship. I still have half a dozen unplayed Wii U games sitting here because I can't pry myself away from this one, and that's gotta count for something.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 11:40:59 PM »
Dishonored, Mass Effect 3, Borderlands 2 and NSMBWU are all contenders for game of the year
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 01:58:46 AM »
You can't judge Journey like you would other games. I've heard I think the lead developer, Jenova Chen, say Journey is the equivalent to a poem, whereas most other games are novels. That's apt. Journey is the length of a movie, and it's at least as good as a good movie in expressing its themes. If you're not into what it's doing, you're not going to like it because the gameplay is nothing remarkable. But the visuals, the music, the titular Journey is all pretty great. It's a beautiful game.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 09:37:07 AM »
The Walking Dead
Halo 4
Mass Effect 3
Sakura Samurai
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 10:17:55 AM »
I haven't played Journey, but I think any game can be in the running for Game of the Year so long as they meet the criteria of actually being a game that was released during the year in question.

My pick: Resident Evil: Revelaitons.

I almost forgot it came out this year. ZombiU would be my runner-up.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 06:07:10 PM »
Mario Party 9.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 06:51:18 PM »
2012 has been a very disappointing year for me, as far as my gaming goes at least. Many of my most anticipated titles were either hugely disappointing (I'm looking at you Uprising) or delayed until 2013 (I'm looking at you Fire Emblem).

In any case, my top 3 would be

1 - Crashmo
2 - Beat the Beat
3 - Hotline Miami

Owning only a Wii and 3DS (along with a pretty basic laptop) has meant that I've missed out on some of the best games of the year. Here's hoping that next year will be a different story.
Gouge away.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 07:41:30 PM »

I find this assertion to be ridiculous.  If I find more enjoyment and meaning in a game "only" 3-5 hours long that respects my time than in these 30-100 hour epic retail games, that game's certainly worthy of Game of the Year consideration.

I've recently given my Top 5 of the year in the most recent Nintendo Free Radio, but for the sake of the topic I can repeat them:

1. The Walking Dead
2. Mark of the Ninja
3. Journey
4. Final Fantasy XIII-2
5. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

A few things to note: first, Xenoblade would have been my #1, but I played it last year so I excluded it.  There are also quite a few games (mostly on the 3DS) that might have had a shot at the list, but I simply didn't play enough of them.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline negative_zero

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Negative World
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 05:48:56 PM »
10. Mutant Mudds (3DS eShop) - I know this game is a bit divisive around here, but for me it was a solid 2D platformer that felt like a modern take on SNES style gaming. Didn’t like the time limit on stages, liked everything else.

9. New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U) - Honestly this wouldn’t even be in my top 10 if it were just the main game, which is good but kind of same ol' same ol'. Challenge mode though... now we’re talking. This is exactly what I need from a Mario game, straight up challenging platforming with controls tight enough to make it feel right. They better include this in all future versions!

8. Journey (PSN)- This game didn’t quite blow me away the way it did some people, but it was a pretty wonderful, sublime experience nonetheless. And very beautiful... very, very beautiful. Also, short enough that I may have to take another run through it.

7. Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS) - Revelations feels like a game with a bit of an identity crisis, as most modern Resident Evil games do. I loved the Jill stuff, which felt like a good combo of the gameplay of Resident Evil 4 + the mood of Resident Evil Remake. The other parts were not as good. Overall... still pretty good.

6. Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii) - Simple, wacky, fun, addicting. This is the direction I love seeing the rhythm genre head into. There was just enough challenge in obtaining all medals to keep me coming back for more (although in no way, shape, or form will I ever go for all perfects.) It doesn’t hurt that my girlfriend loves the game too.

5. Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS) - My expectations for this game were pretty low, and it kind of blew them away. The moment to moment action in this game is amazing, as is the variety and sheer polish. It also had some of the best dialogue in any Nintendo game yet. I did have some control issues, but nothing that kept me from loving it.

4. Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS) - Now this is an odd one. It’s less of an RPG than older Paper Mario games, and more of a platformer. But not quite Super Paper Mario either. Really, Sticker Star is its own beast. And although I still don’t fully understand why they took XP out, I loved pretty much everything else about this game. It felt like the dev team was having a lot of fun with their ideas.

3. Little Inferno (Wii U eShop) - Best fireplace simulator ever. No really, this is what I think of when I think “experience”. It’s not the core gameplay that won me over (though it is rather fun to burn things), but the underlying narrative and revelations that happen throughout. Not many games really connect to me on a personal level, but this one did.

2. Monster World IV (VC) - Yes, I’m putting an old Genesis game way up near the top of my list, and I'm allowed to, because it finally released in NA this year. What can I say? It’s a great platformer, but it also has adventure / exploration elements, which basically means it hits all of my sweet spots. Tons of creativity too. I really feel like this is a lost classic from the 16-bit era (IE the best era ever), and it saddens me that more people have not played it.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) - The number one game on my list is also the only one that I have not finished. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one of those people who love it but grew bored of it halfway through. I’m still very engaged. The problem is, the world is so vast and amazing and pulls me in so deeply that I feel like it’s doing the game a discredit to sit down and play for anything less than 3-4 hours at a time... and I rarely have that much time to play a game nowadays. So I’m about halfway through, slowly moving forward. This RPG is so modern in so many important ways, and not “modern” in the non-linear, cutscene fest way that many others are, but modern in the “not going to penalize you in stupid ways but instead will make (almost) everything as slick as possible” way in a lot of key mechanics. It’s a big, amazing world where every piece of it feels unique and “real” and you can spend hours exploring it without moving the plot forward... or you can go right to the plot, which is intriguing enough to keep you interested. Your choice. I tend to take my time...

Almost made it: Crashmo, La-Mulana, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Nano Assault Neo, NightSky, Nintendo Land, Trine 2

Too soon to call: Fluidity: Spin Cycle

Wanted to play but didn’t (yet): Assassin’s Creed III, Closure, Darksiders II, Liberation Maiden, NiGHTS into Dreams, Persona 4 Arena, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Retro/Grade, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2, Sine Mora, Sound Shapes, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, The Last Story, The Unfinished Swan, The Walking Dead, Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward, ZombiU
Want to let loose your creative side in a Nintendo-related fashion?  Do you like getting involved?  | http://www.negativeworld.org

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 06:00:26 PM »
@negative_zero

I'm conflicted.

The fact that Xenoblade and Monster World IV top your list make you my hero. Your inclusion of Uprising makes me think you're crazy.  :P:
Gouge away.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 07:23:55 PM »
Monster World IV is a great mention - a great game that I had totally forgotten about.
NNID: ejamer